ReefCleaners.org

IrieReefer's 10G AIO Nano/Pico

IrieReefer

I have a decided to just start over! I was trying to keep up a new thread for my Nano tank and like everyone does I rushed into things a lil too fast. I had been seeing some nice deals in the area for lil cube tanks from Advanced Acylics and I went ahead and purchased one. I wanted to make a stand myself so I just set the tank up on my bathroom counter for the mean time. This is where I screwed up! I am now moving and the tank will be getting torn down. I had some really nice macro algae starting to spread and my coralline was going crazy. However I did have an issue with one of the rocks that was overtaken by a slimy macro algae that I later ID thanks to reef cleaners.

The bottom line is……………yet again I am just going to start over. I have moved the stand into its new home and I ordered all new rocks from SeaLife, Inc. I also picked up 10lbs of reef grade sand from CaribSea. All my frags and snails will be resting in a QT pico tank I have set up for holding.

This is not the first time I have just scratched a thread and started over, so please enjoy this new tank and the growing pains that come along with the hobby. I plan to keep this one going!

Tank Specs:

15 X 15 X 12 Acrylic AIO Cube by Advanced Acrylics

Equipment:

Skimmer - Nano Remora HOB w/ maxi jet 900

Return Pump – maxi jet 600

Heater – Jager 75W

Controller - Digital Aquatics – RKL w/ temp probe

Water Movement – Vortech MP10

Lighting – NanoCustoms and Ecoxtic Par38 bulbs (2) DIY Fixture

DIY stand by me and the ol man!

Initial Set-up:

10Lbs of Live Rock ordered from SeaLife, Inc. (Amazing!!)

10Lbs of live reef grade sand from CaribSea

CUC ordered from ReefCleaners (10 gallon quick pick) Very generous!

I'm curious, do you have any shots of the tank? I know AA does a great job building the tanks, but I'd really like to get a better idea of the dimensions. It seems like it is a really nice little tank.

Does it have an overflow or are you planning on drilling it at all?

sounds like a nice set up brewing, lot of top notch quality names! how many gallons total is that tank?they're pretty interesting dimensions i can't wait to see this.

I will be posting pics after work for sure! I have been keeping a photo log since I have not had the time to post lately.

The tank is an all in one. It has an overflow section on the left side, the water then continues through two sections before going back into the tank on the right side. Basically just like your nano-cubes or aquapod. Thanks for the comments

sounds like a nice set up brewing, lot of top notch quality names! how many gallons total is that tank?they're pretty interesting dimensions i can't wait to see this.

The tank holds a lil less than 10 gallons after all the rock and sand.

The tank holds a lil less than 10 gallons after all the rock and sand.

Lmfao I'm such an idiot. As if I couldn't read the title of the thread. Can't wait for pics!

Lmfao I'm such an idiot. As if I couldn't read the title of the thread. Can't wait for pics!

its cool when I wrote the reply I didn't even think about it either. lol

Ok.....the pics are ready. I will be posting more as I get them on th computer.

5592771023_7a0d14a5a9.jpg

DSCN1929 by DProffitt, on Flickr

Getting wet!

5593361854_2f906f73d3.jpg

DSCN1931 by DProffitt, on Flickr

great packing from SeaLife.

5592771577_e1c9a53311.jpg

DSCN1943 by DProffitt, on Flickr

Thats it for now........man this rock was filled with all kinds of cool stuff. The tank has been running for about a week now. The levels are pretty good, I am starting to see a rise in Nitrites and Nitrates, I have not really seen any ammonia spike yet. I have learned my lesson already though........so I will be waiting a couple more weeks for the bulk of the CUC to go in. I have a lil tank for the CUC and some frags that are patiently waiting :)

I figured if the nitrites go low and the Nitrates begin to rise even further I should be pretty good. The macro algae on the rock have began to grow once again too. I'll include some pics of that when I get home.

if you don't mind me asking, what did that tank set you back?

The tank was around $100 you can find him on ebay a lot of the time. He has an ebay store. Be careful though, there has been some stories good and bad. I happen to live near the area where he ships so I went and picked it up.

Very nice, like the scape, any plans for stocking yet?

Thanks man! I will take a top down shot as soon as I can. The rock in the front right is an island that I plan to cover with Rics. I have a few ideas for stocking but nothing set in stone yet. How do you think a pair of naked clowns would do? Or is just too small

Thanks man! I will take a top down shot as soon as I can. The rock in the front right is an island that I plan to cover with Rics. I have a few ideas for stocking but nothing set in stone yet. How do you think a pair of naked clowns would do? Or is just too small

I think the clowns will be fine..I'm doing a pair of SMALL Rod's Onyx clowns for my 10

Hi guys.........I am starting to see some new growth on the rocks. Here are some pics I took a few days ago of the Macroalgae coming back strong. I probably will remove some spots of it but I love the patch on the top right of the tank. your thoughts are welcome.

5592772009_07efb1c9a7.jpg

DSCN1952 by DProffitt, on Flickr

5592771959_67fdf69f3b.jpg

DSCN1951 by DProffitt, on Flickr

5592772063_eae20254aa.jpg

DSCN1953 by DProffitt, on Flickr

I love this last pic. This is the area I think will look nice when grown all the way in. Time will tell. I also took some pics of my CUC when it arrived. WOW. Reefcleaners is the way to go!

alright, so I got home from work today and decided to test the water levels.....again :)

Ammonia - 0 (still have not seen a rise since start of tank)

Nitrite - .05

Nitrate - .5

Should I wait to do a water change? I really want to, just to lower the Nitrates. I'm just afraid of interrupting the cycle. I guess I will be patient another week and see where I stand. The rock has only been in the tank 6 days now. Yes, I am impatient.....but I am working on it :)

You're nitrates are only .5..? Your test kit is that precise? Lol don't water change you'll be fine man.

You're nitrates are only .5..? Your test kit is that precise? Lol don't water change you'll be fine man.

Cool thanks.......

I'm wondering though, are your parameters actually nitrites - .5 and nitrates - 5? This would be a lot more in line with normal test kits. To get the kind numbers that you have listed they would have to be amazingly precise.

What brand are you using?

yea I hate test kits.......these ones are salifert and it says if you cant see it through the top to compare it from the side and divide by ten....you could be right though. Any recommendations on good test kits? I tried the elos ones and liked those.

Personally I use API. That's more because I'm broke most of the time though. I would probably use elos if I had the cash.

If I remember right though salifert is a pretty good brand. At those levels though I would probably just consider it a 0. I can't see any reason to call .5 nitrates anything to worry about.

Thanks Pyro! I appreciate the advice. I have used API in the past......their a lot easier to use too if I remember correctly.

Tested again last night......Nitrate= 0 Nitrite= 0 Ammonia=0. After reading the directions again on my test kits I am now using the normal readings rather then the readings divided by ten.

With that said I threw in the CUC I had shipped from ReefCleaners and they seem to love the tank. I will try and get some updated pics this afternoon.

Hi guys, I had a few moments to test the Kh and PH today after work.

KH= 8.6

PH= 8.2

I wanted to also add that I have been dosing Microbactor7 for about 10 days now as directed when starting a new aquarium. I would love your guys and gals thoughts on this as I never have used a product to assist with the cycle. I have read a lot of threads using the probiotic method, so I thought I would give it a try. I guess I will look into dosing bioFuel along with the microbaactor7 after a few weeks. Thanks again to this form for all the information I gather and learn from.

So I picked up some Reef Nutrition food last night from the LFS and I will start feeding some corals tonight. It has been almost 3 weeks now and the CUC is in. I also added a few frags that I had in a holding tank. The frags have been in for about three days now........they seem to be doing just fine.

I will be testing my water again tonight and will post up the results when I am done. All is going well so far.....I should be getting a pair of Naked clowns next week and Ill make sure and post some pics.

Archived