inTank Media Baskets

reefrooks 60G shallow

reefrook

some new additions, nothin special but i like how my tank is coming along. 6 new fish, bunch of sps frags, zoas, here's a couple pics.

05c35715.jpg

ba72c33d.jpg

04d2dd8d.jpg

1870bd5a.jpg

also got a little video, i'll post it once it's done uploading

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That vid was awesome rook!!Snowflakes are such tenacious eaters...

Do you plan to target feed the gorgonian?

Great Pics BTW

thanks hype.

whenever i feed, i squirt some cyclopeeze in its direction. in the future i plan on feeding phytoplankton or oyster feast. any suggestions?

what kind of gorgonian is that? it looks amazing!

it's a blueberry gorg. unfortunately, many in the past have had little success keeping it for longer than a year. knowing that, i still brought it home after seeing it at reef-a-palooza. guess i'll give it a try.

Your tank looks awesome. I want a 48x24x12 tank >:( I have only 24x24x12. Maybe next upgrade. keep up the good work

thanks red. after having a 10 gal for a year or so, i am loving this tank. so much more space to work with.

only thing that annoys me bout my tank is the huge eyesore in the background.

THIS GUY!

d75be78c.jpg

i dont know what i was thinking when i spray painted this wall on the inside of the tank. it collects way to much sh*t! but the only reason i did that was that i couldn't easily paint the outside of the wall because of the overflow box. so… i bought the ugly monster a mask!

5e9ef78a.jpg

white acrylic and easily removable for cleaning

fits pretty nicely

62310848.jpg

and…. firefish! one of the best looking fish under $6 IMO

8e99a6db.jpg

wow, everytime I look at this tank it reminds me of when you see a really well done bonsai tree manicured by an old master, it almost pops with naturalism. Minimalism is the way to go IMO, especially on shallow tanks. I almost like it FOWLR, maybe you could even keep an orange spot filefish, but it seems they are hard to take to frozen. Good luck!

wow, this is awesome. i had followed your old thread and always wondered if you were going to start a new tank since your move. i guess i should look at the new threads on here more closely!

thanks hype.

whenever i feed, i squirt some cyclopeeze in its direction. in the future i plan on feeding phytoplankton or oyster feast. any suggestions?

When i had one i fed it alot....rotifers,cyclops and baby brine shrimp eggs.

BTW that acrylic cover is genius!

wow, everytime I look at this tank it reminds me of when you see a really well done bonsai tree manicured by an old master, it almost pops with naturalism. Minimalism is the way to go IMO, especially on shallow tanks. I almost like it FOWLR, maybe you could even keep an orange spot filefish, but it seems they are hard to take to frozen. Good luck!

Thanks milk. I always try to keep my scape simple, I find that always works for me. As far as going FOWLR.... I couldn't do that. I love me some corals! And the filefish is beautiful, but is known to be a polyp eater. It's a shame.

wow, this is awesome. i had followed your old thread and always wondered if you were going to start a new tank since your move. i guess i should look at the new threads on here more closely!

Thanks for the support Danny!

Fantastic tank! I'm planning on upgrading my Solana to a tank with these exact dimensions. Love the aquascaping too!

The dimensions are perfect. You'll love it. So much possibilities with this tank.

When i had one i fed it alot....rotifers,cyclops and baby brine shrimp eggs.

BTW that acrylic cover is genius!

How long we're you able to keep yours for?

This tank's amazing, there's nothing better than losing a tank and having it replaced with something more bad ass.

Thanks rbaby. There's nothing more exciting in this hobby than a new tank upgrade :happydance:

Nice looking tank man!!! ;)

Thank you brotha!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tank. Sorry to here about your tang. Those powder tangs and the hippo always get or have ich. You should try a small yellow tang. I have a 48x18x26 tank. I bought a small yellow tang after a hippo died of ich. The yellow is a great tang tons of personality. You should get some cheap camo palys and glue them to your overflow. They will cover that overflow in no time. As for power heads I have 1 mp 20 in my tank and only 1 dead spot. My overflow is HUGE though. 1 MP 20 in your tank would be perfect. Then if you ever did need more flow just upgrade it to a MP 40.

Nice tank. Sorry to here about your tang. Those powder tangs and the hippo always get or have ich. You should try a small yellow tang. I have a 48x18x26 tank. I bought a small yellow tang after a hippo died of ich. The yellow is a great tang tons of personality. You should get some cheap camo palys and glue them to your overflow. They will cover that overflow in no time. As for power heads I have 1 mp 20 in my tank and only 1 dead spot. My overflow is HUGE though. 1 MP 20 in your tank would be perfect. Then if you ever did need more flow just upgrade it to a MP 40.

Thanks for the advice lawnman! I was considering getting a yellow tang and you may have just persuaded me to. As for the overflow, I wanted to keep it clean of anything (coralline, algae, etc.)

And if I had some extra cash, I would definitely have an mp40 in there.

Thanks for stopping by!

The tank is looking good!

Thanks SoCal!

Damn just saw that video. Your not afraid of that eel eating one of your fish? You must keep him well fed.

What other corals do you think are gonna go in here?

Damn just saw that video. Your not afraid of that eel eating one of your fish? You must keep him well fed.

What other corals do you think are gonna go in here?

No, I'm not too worried. I feed him squid, shrimp or silversides every day. He never goes for any of the fish in the tank. Even at night time, when they usually go hunting, I saw my little mandarin sleeping right next to his den. The snowflake paid no attention to him.

As far as corals, I'm planning to stock mainly sps. I may pick up some zoas and acans to line the base of the rock work.

Thanks for looking Bonk!

• 2 weeks later...

sweet tank! very well done.

by the way i went to the pet shop you mentioned in hollywood but it was closed...? have you been to rainbow pet shop - 9066 Woodman Ave, Arleta, CA 91331? they have good prices and a nice collection of fish and coral.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey reefrook, you're tank is the best larger shallow tank i've ever seen. I love it's minimalistic look, and it does look extremely natural. You were able to combine natural and minimalistic successfully and it looks great!

Personally.. I liked how overgrown your overflow box looked lol. I never scrape the back wall of my tank.. just me I guess lol.

Looking forward to more updates!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived