29g "Radion" Biocube

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll

SPECS

Display: Oceanic 29 gallon Biocube without hood and Biocube stand

Lighting: 24" Coralife Aqualight Pro w/150 watt metal halide and two 65 watt pc

Bulbs: Phoenix 14k and UVL PC-R Super Actinics

Rock: 30lbs Manado Live Rock from PremiumAquatics

Substrate: CaribSea Aragonite Premium grade reef sand (20 lbs)

Filtration: Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002, Stevie T Rack with filter floss, BRS GFO and ROX, CPE. Bag of purigen between chamber 2 and 3

Circulation: EcoTech MP10W Vortech, Maxi-Jet 1200 for return

Heating: Jager 150 watt heater

Controller: Aquacontroller JR with temp probe, ph probe, DC8.

Others: SpectraPure® MaxCap RO/DI System, 90gpd w/ Pressure Gauge & Purity Monitor, Red Sea Coral Pro salt, Aquatek 4 fan, refractometer from bulkreefsupply, JBJ ATO with 4 gallon reservoir

LIVESTOCK

FISH:

SOFTIES:

Zoanthid and Polythoa:

Blue Hornet

Captain America

Vivid Rainbows

Fire and Ice

Magician

KO Nightmare

Saint Valentines Day Massacre

Purple People Eaters

Wobbegong

Radioactive Dragon Eye

Eagle Eye

Armor of God

Tyree Armageddon ii

Pink and Gold

Purple Deaths

Mushrooms:

Actinodiscus:

Red

Red with white speckles

Teal

Superman

Ricordea:

Green with yellow mouth

Orange with green and blue

LPS:

Acanthastrea:

lordhowensis:

Orange with green stripe

Purple with green stripes and blue mouth

Euphyllia:

paradivisa:

green with purple tip

SPS:

Montipora:

Leng Sy

Red

Chilli Pepper

Acropora:

ATL Blue Tort

ATL Red Table

ORA Pearlberry

ORA Red Planet

Raspberry Lemonade

Crayola Plana

Edited by TILTON
Thrassian Atoll

I took out the floors in the chambers of course and removed the tab. I didnt know how to get the water to flow perfectly through the Rack so I glued a piece to each side of the plastic pieces that came with it and it works great now and I get all the flow thru the rack. I bought a staple gun with round staples and stapled all the wires down to the back of the stand and on the inside of it so it looks nice and neat without wires all over the place. I hung my light from the ceiling and actually drilled a couple large holes in my wall so I could hide the wires. Took forever to remove the insulation between the holes

th_post-65599-1301880753.jpg th_post-65599-1301880624.jpg th_post-65599-1301880605.jpg

I decided to go ahead and get uncured live rock from PremiumAquatics. Great service and great looking rocks. Lots of different colored coraline algae. I kind of wish I got the cured rock though, because It didn't have anything the cured rock wouldnt of had. It didn't smell the greatest so I Semi-cured the rocks in an old tank I had for about 2 weeks with 50% water changes every other day. The smell subsided enough that i could bring it in the house without the wife making me sleep on the couch.
:flower:
Just started my cycle though. I am doing a hard cycle and I am not running my protein skimmer yet and am I only using filter floss until the cycle is complete. I just ordered the aquatek fan with 4 fans on it. My water got up to 81 today and its not even hot in the house. So hopefully that will keep my temp around 78.

th_post-65599-1301880827.jpg

th_post-65599-1301880805.jpg

I tried a few different Aquascapes but I kept going back to doing the Wall. To me its just the best all around design and easiest, not to mention the different levels and areas for corals. But I like it.

th_post-65599-1301880925.jpg th_post-65599-1301880898.jpg th_post-65599-1301880873.jpg th_post-65599-1301880963.jpg

Thanks for checking out my Tank and I will definitely be updating regularly. I would have never been able to do any of this without Nano-Reef and everybody on here. I did a ton of research and took alot of time to plan this. This is and will be a great hobby for a long time and I am looking forward to seeing my tank look like a small piece of a reef. I cant wait! I would love to hear what you all have to say. Comments, Questions, Suggestions. All welcome. .

th_post-65599-1301881001.jpg th_post-65599-1301880976.jpg

Here are a few bigger pictures

I would love to hear some feedback

Nice start man. I have the BC29 and its a great tank. I run the sunpod (soon upgrading to LED's) on mine but I miss the actinic feature, I dig your light. Nice equipment, Ive been mulling a votec for months now, I have to invest in one soon.

Thrassian Atoll
Nice start man. I have the BC29 and its a great tank. I run the sunpod (soon upgrading to LED's) on mine but I miss the actinic feature, I dig your light. Nice equipment, Ive been mulling a votec for months now, I have to invest in one soon.

Thanks alot man. Its definitely blue with the actinics and 14k. The vortech is pretty sweet. So powerful. I am still cycling though so its hard to tell how much flow it really has without corals or anything yet.

Thrassian Atoll

Hooked up my aquatek fan today. Just in time too, the water got up to 82 yesterday. Today though, with this new fan, it only reached 80. It never got over my fans control temp.

fishdaddy0831
I would love to hear some feedback

Looks great, but the Vortechs are crap. You should get something else and give that one to me. ;)

Edited by fishdaddy0831
Thrassian Atoll
Looks great, but the Vortechs are crap. You should get something else and give that one to me. ;)

Thank you. If I decide to get rid of it I will let you know :P

Lookin' good so far. I love the rock work, and lots of open sand to the left for clams, scolys and fungias.

Thanks! Yeah I had a few more rocks in there but it started to shift. So I took them out and puttied the rest of the rocks together. Its pretty solid and I like this look better. I was going to do a little island on the left front, but decided to keep it bare. Like you said, Lots of open sand for clams and what not. Need my dang cycle to hurry up so I can start adding stuff. I am getting very eager, but waiting...impatiently.

Thrassian Atoll

Cycle is almost complete. My NH3 and NO2 are at zero while my NO3 reading is slightly above zero. I have a lot of algae in the tank now, that you can see in the photos. So I am going to go ahead and add snails today, and maybe like 2 hermits, do a 50% water change and add my CPE and Purigan. Do you think I should turn my skimmer on now or should I wait until I add some coral?

post-65599-1302799870_thumb.jpg post-65599-1302799863_thumb.jpg post-65599-1302799856_thumb.jpg

Edited by TILTON
Thrassian Atoll

Maxi-jet 900 on Tunze 9002 http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=269056

Got my CUC today, I went with 8 ceriths, 5 nerites, 3 nassarius, 1spiny star astrea, and 2 red leg hermits. After I did my water change and put them in I set up my purigen and CPE in my media basket. I barely had any flow. So I took a little CPE out of the bag and tied it to the bottom of the rack in the media basket and it flows well now. This biggest setback I had tonight was when I plugged in my Tunze doc 9002 protein skimmer, it just made a weird noise and it did not run. So I took it out, and it turned out that all the blades on the pumps impeller were stripped/broken off. I have no idea what happened. It is over two years old, so no warranty. I researched buying a replacement pump for a while but did not find anyone really selling one. Found one on ebay for $40. Way to expensive for such a little pump. I was not going to buy a replacement. I found a thread about a guy who did a mod to his maxi-jet 900 and used that for inside the skimmer. So I gave it a try and it works like a champ...I think. I will post some pics if I get some good skimmate. Do not have a bioload yet so I am not sure it will produce much.

After a day, getting good dry skimmate. Not dark, but did not expect it to be because of no bioload

post-65599-1302962435_thumb.jpg post-65599-1302962422_thumb.jpg

Edited by TILTON

i like, it. good start! use photobucket or something so i can see what youre doing more clearly ;)

i take it since youve added CPE and PG youre getting ready for real livestock?

Thrassian Atoll
i like, it. good start! use photobucket or something so i can see what youre doing more clearly ;)

i take it since youve added CPE and PG youre getting ready for real livestock?

Sorry about the pics, I am going to get a new camera sometime. Using my wifes camera and my iphone. I will be adding some livestock soon. I need my hair algae and what not to die down first though. I am going to a frag auction this weekend and a buddy is going to hold on to them until I am ready. I do not want to put anything in there yet until I know its going to be fine

Thrassian Atoll

JBJ ATO SETUP

First I tried to use an aqualifter and realized that it will not push water up that far so I decided to go ahead and use the stock pump that came with the biocube. I added a screw on hose adapter to it that turned it into a 1/4" hose outlet.

I then added the opaque tubing to that and cut a small hole in my container to where it would just fit through. On the other end, I added a small joint and began to run my black tubing to the tank.

I created a little u shaped joint to secure to the tank so the tube would never be able to fall out.

Finally I hooked up my two sensors, one in chamber 3 right where the max water line is. I wanted my water line to be right there because that is where my skimmer does the best and also where the water will not flow out of the top of my intank media basket. Good flow though and the water level in the main display is good. The second sensor is in my reservoire.

It took me about 2 hours total to do, Just figuring out how I wanted to run took the longest. But works great and I am happy with it. Might go with a bigger container though. But I am able to get to everything inside of the stand when and if I need to withought having to move a big container out. I have no moisture inside of the stand and am pretty positive I sealed everything up nice and tight and will not have any problem with moisture getting to any of the electronics inside of the stand. The reservoire holds roughly 3.5 gallons of RO/DI water.

irondragon013

Your tank looks good. The scape looks great and a good mix of open space.

I use an aqualifter on my ATO. It is designed to pull and push water. I put mine on the shelf above my reservoir. It only drips into my filter but it works really well. I don't have to worry if I forget to unplug it before a water change as I can easily get water back into the tank before it puts in much fresh water.

Thrassian Atoll
Your tank looks good. The scape looks great and a good mix of open space.

I use an aqualifter on my ATO. It is designed to pull and push water. I put mine on the shelf above my reservoir. It only drips into my filter but it works really well. I don't have to worry if I forget to unplug it before a water change as I can easily get water back into the tank before it puts in much fresh water.

I know it pushes and pulls, but I wanted to keep it in the reservoir, plus I have pumps just laying around. So it all worked out. Thanks for nice comments though. Much appreciated.

Edited by TILTON
Thrassian Atoll

Just added one more turbo and 3 more cerithes. You might know from another thread that I am having a green hair algae problem, so hopefully the other turbo will help that. I am hoping to start adding corals in a couple of weeks

Tank looks great. I like the lighting and your aquascape looks awesome. Premium Aquatics has great live rock. I got live rock from them in the past, and got lots of pieces covered in coralline.

Thrassian Atoll
Tank looks great. I like the lighting and your aquascape looks awesome. Premium Aquatics has great live rock. I got live rock from them in the past, and got lots of pieces covered in coralline.

Thank you. The rock is great. I wish I would of just spent the extra 20 or 30 bucks and got cured though.

I like what you have done. It's funny, after about 5-7 months with a biocube...it's not a biocube anymore. Question: do you think these fans would cool water under LEDs? Maybe dumb question but I can see why it works with MH.

Thrassian Atoll
I like what you have done. It's funny, after about 5-7 months with a biocube...it's not a biocube anymore. Question: do you think these fans would cool water under LEDs? Maybe dumb question but I can see why it works with MH.

I would assume they would. MH runs hotter than LEDS. It cools my water perfectly. I have not reached over 80 degrees with it. Its a quiet fan too.