Innovative Marine Aquariums

Matt's 29g Reef

Clavius85

I wouldn't call that "drilling" a tempered tank haha.

And thanks, I don't know about godlike, I've just done it a few times. Once the nerves go away you realize it's not as hard as most people make you think.

My problem would have been just getting started without the template.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wellll..... tomorrow you can pick up some sand and get the thing starting... Assuming you've been cooking up some water.

Then you can tear down that pico and sell it to fund the 29!

Good call on Top Gun in HD, hadn't seen it in forever... I love that movie.

Next up... Labrynth (maybe) hahah

Shiiiiit how loud was that glass pane shattering?

Sweet picture though.

Was it a Petco 29? I hear the aqueon ones aren't tempered but the petco ones are.

I have to drill mine this week.

Anyone selling a 1" bulkhead hole saw bit?

Shiiiiit how loud was that glass pane shattering?

I was saying afterwards that it sounded like a gunshot

Sweet picture though.

Was it a Petco 29? I hear the aqueon ones aren't tempered but the petco ones are.

He mentioned thinking it was an Aqueon but apparently not. The sticker looked the same as a 75 I had drilled. The 75 only had a tempered bottom though.

I have to drill mine this week.

Anyone selling a 1" bulkhead hole saw bit?

Good luck, I'd come help you if I could but you're a little far haha.

http://www.glass-holes.com/Glass-Hole-Cutt...8B.qscstrfrnt02

These are pretty decent cheap holesaws. I've drilled several tanks with mine. They say they only last for around 3 tanks but I have done 4-5 and could probably squeeze 1-2 more. Though my 1 1/2" bulkhead cutter is slowing up so if I need to drill another I'll order new ones.

I was saying afterwards that it sounded like a gunshot

He mentioned thinking it was an Aqueon but apparently not. The sticker looked the same as a 75 I had drilled. The 75 only had a tempered bottom though.

Good luck, I'd come help you if I could but you're a little far haha.

http://www.glass-holes.com/Glass-Hole-Cutt...8B.qscstrfrnt02

These are pretty decent cheap holesaws. I've drilled several tanks with mine. They say they only last for around 3 tanks but I have done 4-5 and could probably squeeze 1-2 more. Though my 1 1/2" bulkhead cutter is slowing up so if I need to drill another I'll order new ones.

Thanks for the offer regardless...I'd definitely pay in whiskey and frags haha.

I built a really small tank this past weekend with 3/32" glass....pretty crazy but it's only 3.5 gallons for my ATO reservoir. I figure my next challenge is drilling a tank now that I've half-ass built one.

I ordered a bit from eBay a few minutes ago since the shipping at glass-holes bounced up the price some. $15 bucks to my door....should only use it once or so but hopefully it gets the job done.

I was considering drilling the 75g for returns and using the two RR holes for a herbie system but I just can't do it...too chicken to drill such a nice tank.

Be VERY careful drilling a 3/32" tank, that sounds awfully flimsy and I know people had issues with drilling 5 gallon and smaller tanks because the glass was so brittle.

Matt,

The more I look at the deep blue tank the more I like it..., That black silicone looks great. I would still be hesitant to put a hood on over that. Though if you do, be sure to equip it with several fans.... Hell if you absolutely want to I wouldn't mind helping build it. But personally, I think you should just do a mesh top screen and hang the sunpod. It looks pretty clean IMO.

Haha I'm not drilling the 3/32" tank it's just one I made since I had such limited space and needed at least 3g for the ATO:

photo(8).JPG

I'm drilling my 29g sump...hopefully it's not tempered or I'm going to have to buy another one...

Matt,

The more I look at the deep blue tank the more I like it..., That black silicone looks great. I would still be hesitant to put a hood on over that. Though if you do, be sure to equip it with several fans.... Hell if you absolutely want to I wouldn't mind helping build it. But personally, I think you should just do a mesh top screen and hang the sunpod. It looks pretty clean IMO.

Yeah I REALLY like this new tank. It looks awesome!

I think I'm going to save the lighting issue for last. I may have to do a hood of some sort because I don't think I can get away with drilling into my parents' walls or ceiling to hang the Sunpod. And if I do make a hood it would have plenty of ventilation. 250w of MH puts out quite a bit of heat!

Getting ready to mask off the tank in preparation for painting the back of it black...

hmmmm I almost don't know if I would paint it! It might take away from the black silicone haha.

Also, if you hang it like I did, you'd only need two screws. Not much bigger, if at all, from the hardware you'd use to hang a heavier picture. It will easy cover up with filler. I wouldn't think twice about it personally. If you are going to go with a hood, you should sell the sunpod and get the equipment to retro a hood.

hmmmm I almost don't know if I would paint it! It might take away from the black silicone haha.

Also, if you hang it like I did, you'd only need two screws. Not much bigger, if at all, from the hardware you'd use to hang a heavier picture. It will easy cover up with filler. I wouldn't think twice about it personally. If you are going to go with a hood, you should sell the sunpod and get the equipment to retro a hood.

It might take away from the silicone. But I'd rather hide the overflow, pipes, etc.

I'm not completely ruling out hanging the Sunpod. And I have considered selling it and going to 4 or 6 T5's in a hood. But despite the power usage and the heat, metal halide is so beast. Love that shimmer! And I think it would cost me more in the long run to retro 6 T5's into a hood whereas I only paid $200 for the 250w Sunpod.

For now I still need to:

-order overflow and return kits from Glass-Holes

-find a return pump

-buy filter socks and filter sock holder for sump

-have some glass cut for baffles in sump

You don't need a filter sock holder.... I'll have to show you how I manage mine. It works out well, and it keeps the drain below the water to keep things quiet. I am convinced that my filter sock is a stomatela breeding ground. They must be playing some Marvin Gay in there because there is always a ton of little baby stomas.

Archived