Top Shelf Aquatics

April 2011 - Andrewkw

Christopher Marks

Nice looking tank.

However, just a word of advice. If you're going to keep a small softie tank then having GSP is like having a bomb ready to go off.

The GSP at top will eventually begin to take-over, and in such a small tank it will out-compete everything, especially any other LPS. If it were my tank I'd scrape it out now before your acans start suffering and it gets too established.

Nice looking tank.

However, just a word of advice. If you're going to keep a small softie tank then having GSP is like having a bomb ready to go off.

The GSP at top will eventually begin to take-over, and in such a small tank it will out-compete everything, especially any other LPS. If it were my tank I'd scrape it out now before your acans start suffering and it gets too established.

LPS are target fed.

The gsp certainly grows the fastest but its a long ways from taking over. I've kept it on the overflow in my main tank and in there it's also not growing at take over rates.

igotreefermadness

Congrats on the TOTM. I'm glad to see a pico reef winning as well, after flipping through previous TOTMs, you notice that most if not all of them (if I some how missed one) are +10g at least. So seeing a 2g win TOTM to me is impressive and something not often accomplished.

I just switched over from a 10g to a 22g and the coral have responded so much better to the tank's water chemistry stability. It made me realize how challenging a pico of that size must be, so major respect from me on your accomplishments. Congrats man.

I also noticed you are only keeping mangroves and no chaeto, which I found an interesting choice. You said you keep a close eye on your phosphates, are they affecting your coral in any way or is it just an algae issue?

Congrats on the TOTM. I'm glad to see a pico reef winning as well, after flipping through previous TOTMs, you notice that most if not all of them (if I some how missed one) are +10g at least. So seeing a 2g win TOTM to me is impressive and something not often accomplished.

I just switched over from a 10g to a 22g and the coral have responded so much better to the tank's water chemistry stability. It made me realize how challenging a pico of that size must be, so major respect from me on your accomplishments. Congrats man.

I also noticed you are only keeping mangroves and no chaeto, which I found an interesting choice. You said you keep a close eye on your phosphates, are they affecting your coral in any way or is it just an algae issue?

I am pretty sure this is the smallest tank to be featured but I could not confirm. For sure it's the smallest front only 6" across.

Anyway phosphates haven't effected the corals too much, but I want to avoid algae issues. The biggest problem with such small frags is making sure the sexy shrimp do not eat the entire coral.

I went with mangroves because there is no room for cheato. Also at 1 per gallon they should do enough. A lot of people try and put 2 on their 20 gallon and say it's doing nothing or 5 on their 90. In my frag tank which is about 50-60 gallons water volume I have over 100 mangroves in there and don't even need to run a skimmer (it eventually stopped skimming) This is an extreme setup since there is about 2 per gallon and no fish long term, but mangroves are an excellent source of nutrient export if you use them properly.

What is the big mushroom in the (top,middle,right)?

Also I see a lot of tanks on this site with so many corals in close proximity to each other. Is this ok? do they bother each other?

Archived