Pod Your Reef

sandman's 40br

bensanders

Hardware

Display – 40 Breeder (2 x 1” drains, 2 x ¾” returns)

Sump – 20 Long (3 chambers)

Lights – DIY LED

Flow –2 x Vortech MP10 w/ DIY Battery Backup (internal), Tunze 1073.040 (return)

Skimmer - Bubble Magus NAC7

ATO – Tunze Osmolator

Heater- 150w Jager

Controller – TBD

Reactor – BRS Reactor w/ GFO and ROX 0.8 Carbon

RO/DI – BRS 5 Stage Plus (for chloramines)

Rock – 55 lbs. BRS Eco Rock (dry), ~7 lbs. LFS Live Rock

Sand – 40 lbs. Aragonite (rinsed until clean and dead)

Stand – 2x4 frame, skinned in ¾” birch (DIY)

Software

Inverts - Pistol Shrimp, 2 x Red Legged Hermits, 40br quick crew from reefcleaners (florida/dwarf ceriths,

nassarius, nerites), Emerald Crab

Fish - Gold Stripe Maroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Purple Firefish, Tail Spot Blenny, Sixline Wrasse (to be added).

Coral - Standard mix of Softies and LPS/SPS

a1d8b35a.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think you really wanted to start a tank thread

Eh, I was a little reluctant, yes. Figured somebody might want to follow along anyways. This website has been an incredible source of information so I wanted to return a little bit.

I've narrowed the skimmer down to the NAC7 and my lights down to either a Powermodule (4 bulb) or DIY LED. How do you like your skimmer, cap'n?

captainbastard

Works great, might be a lil over sized but that lets me feed MOAR :) . ATI is definitely the way to go, unless you got the DIY for LED.

I picked up the glass for the sump baffles yesterday. The glass shop had me leave the sump with them so they could get it perfect, which they most certainly did.

Check out the radius corners they cut. This is to create nice contact along the siliconed edges at the bottom of the sump. They also smoothed the edges so I wouldn't slice myself.

post-60039-1301497256_thumb.jpg

Taping up the sump for baffles.

post-60039-1301497572_thumb.jpg

Can you tell which one I did first? Yikes.

post-60039-1301497642_thumb.jpg

Lastly, a better look at the rockwork. Let me know what you think.

post-60039-1301497694_thumb.jpg

I'm digging up my old camera and setting up a photobucket account tonight. No more crappy pictures!

Oh by the way, I've been using a rubbermaid container for a sump so I could get the cycle started early. The tank was officially established on March 15, 2011.

If I was drunk in your house looking at your tank and the lights were off. I'd turn the mp10 thinking it was a light switch...just sayin.

lol. I am drunk (among other things) in my house ALL the time. Luckily, I rarely wander into that corner. I'm gonna hit up twin liquors and see if they have the Edmeades Zin. I cringe reading Zin because I immediately think 'white'

I'll check out calvin and spanko's tanks tonight, maybe try and drag them into my build as well. Didn't there use to be a 40br club somewhere on NR?

Great start ben, whos rock is that? Looks good.

when you looking to get it wet?

good luck

gg

Great start ben, whos rock is that? Looks good.

when you looking to get it wet?

The rock is BRS Eco rock, I love it.

Tank was established March 15 so she's been wet for about 2 weeks. I'm using a rubbermaid as a sump now, the real sump should be finished tonight and join the party tomorrow after it cures. Your tank was also a piece of inspiration, GG. If I remember correctly, you're the one with the awesome marble stand? You have an awesome marble stand.

Edmeades Zin = Everything I need in life. Its a BOMB of a wine makes your tongue purple and ####. I'm about to start drinking some since you made me speak of it. Let it breath if you get it and pray you do get some.

Oh and thanks man for the kind words but trust me I'm really just backed by a solid panel of judges.

:Throws up the 40B gang sign:

Tank looks pretty damn awesome. Nice work!

I wanna see a pic of the rubbermaid sump haha.

Say Coastie! I must say, you fall into the "40 breeder inspirational" category as well, your tank rocks. How are you finding the flow with the mp10? So far I'm pretty pleased, but tough to tell with only rock in the tank.

I'll take a picture of the rubbermaid sump tonight, it's SICK.

Not really. But it's working nicely, and almost made me think twice about using a 20l for my sump. Micro bubbles would be an issue though.

I'm back to the drawing board on the lighting. I'm thinking about going 48 LEDs, 4 rows of 12? This sh*t is daunting...

if its any help i'm in process of getting my diy leds put together i'm surface grinding/ flat lapping the heatsink for some super flatness. oh yeah. i'll keep you posted i'm only kicking 24 leds but leaving room to upgrade to 36 later. 48 may be alot of light for a breeder unless you don't put optics but then you may have light spill everywhere. just depends how high you go with the mounting.

but all in all its looking good! are you only pushing the water with that mp 10? i've got one also and still suppliment with 2 extra pumps to really keep that water churning.

I would agree, 48 is probably too much. I'm pretty happy with the MP10 for now, especially considering I'm rocking the Eheim 1262 for a return. Still puts out PLENTY at 5' of head. That said, I'll probably end up with another MP10 once the tank becomes more SPS heavy.

If I was drunk in your house looking at your tank and the lights were off. I'd turn the mp10 thinking it was a light switch...just sayin.

haha, true that

I'm having problems with microbubbles. It seems the water rushing down the drains is exiting so fast that it pushes big bubbles through the filter sock and turns them into microbubbles. The baffles in my sump seem awfully ineffective...

Can you turn your sump around? I can't tell how high your baffles are where. I have zero issues with bubbles and my bubble trap is on the other side, though my baffles are much closer together. Where are your bubbles coming from? Anyhow, As far as the MP10 goes this thing rocks, I recently moved it up from 50% to 75% and it seems to be working awesome! Thanks for the compliments, woulda posted sooner but don't know how I missed it?

The bubbles seem to be generated from the sock itself. Bubbles within the water draining from the tank are being forced through the 200 micron sock, which is creating microbubbles. I think it has to do with how much head height I have. Also my bubble trap is obviously ineffective if the microbubbles are being returned to the tank so, that sucks lol.

The baffles are 2" apart with a ~1.5" gap under the middle (raised) baffle. I'm guessing the 1.5" gap is my limiting factor and is causing water to rush through it too fast?

Well then that rules THAT out..

a smaller gap would mean your water is cruising through your baffles faster, at least through the bottom gap, than mine.

Got another similar thread going on here. Just an FYI

So far my best guess is that my pump is moving too much water through the system and hence, through the bubble trap. Jeremai enlightened me.

Archived