Innovative Marine Aquariums

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

TinyGiant

when I started with these I had 9 on a 5.5g without optics.. Then I put the optics back on.

I now have 22 over my 55 but started with 10 when I initially setup the tank.

Picture of an LED build I did for Ry05Coupe using the LEDs

P6180013.jpg

P6180020.jpg

This was just a little actinic supplementation for his sunpod. Grand total was ~$45 and still have 4 LEDs left over. Half the price was in the buckpuck driver. Could have purchased a different driver but he wanted dimming ability.

One week down... Hopefully one week to go. The tank is cycling, just need my sockets and bulbs to get here!

Edited by Erics5.5

Found these 3w LED's at Fry's Electronic today. They are selling for $19.95 and $24.95 EACH! Funny thing is they didn't sell the GU10 sockets.

Mine are still on the boat from Hong Kong... I ordered from 2 different places LED-HK shipped next day but the other place took 4 days to ship. blah.

In the mean time, I'm playing with 1/2" PVC piping to build a fixture.

led-hk is great! now the other place where i got my sockets took for ever and some came in busted! But they are sending me some more to replace them for free. Got any pics of your fixture your building philip271?

Here's the base structure. Running two set of cords internally through the pipes to control whites and blues separately:

post-66360-1305165431_thumb.jpg

Canopy. Socket/bulbs will hang down from them. Not sure how high I'll mount them, but they'll just sit on top of two pipes in the back corners.

post-66360-1305165449_thumb.jpg

Underside showing where I'll be cutting to wire up the LEDs:

post-66360-1305165440_thumb.jpg

Phil.

Edited by Philip271

you might be able to put a T where you mark for the lights and slide the socket into the open end of the T. I was thinking about doing that with the 20L i just setup :)

hmm... I was going to just zip-tie the sockets to those points. but good idea on the T joint... if the sockets will fit in the opening, that would look really clean and limit the amount of moisture that can get to the wiring in the pipes.

Tiny, any chance you can measure the diameter of a GU10 socket if you have one laying around? The opening of the 1/2" joints are ~21mm...

Thanks,

Phil

Ok so I just read through this thread twice lol, and have been looking through ebay a lot.

Now my question is how many would I need for a 20L with SPS? and which ones would I order?

I found a couple but they dont look like the ones you posted on the very first page.

I was thinking 10 or 12 set up like this

B W B W B

B W B W B

using the 3x1watt bulbs?

OR

B W B W B W

W B W B W B

using the 4x1watt for blue and 3x1watt for white?

Im going for more of a 20k look.

They are right at an 1 inch!

hmm... I was going to just zip-tie the sockets to those points. but good idea on the T joint... if the sockets will fit in the opening, that would look really clean and limit the amount of moisture that can get to the wiring in the pipes.

Tiny, any chance you can measure the diameter of a GU10 socket if you have one laying around? The opening of the 1/2" joints are ~21mm...

Thanks,

Phil

This combo should work great!

B W B W B

B W B W B

using the 3x1watt bulbs?

Thanks now I just have to look harder to find them lol!

Oh sorry, one more question! Warm white or cool white?

Edited by swayd

Oh so thats how you did it lol I thought I had to bid on several auctions lol. I hate ebay.

Cool white it is then!

Now I have to decide whether to spend my monies at BAYMAC or build an LED fixture lol!

I won an auction and when u click buy now it asks how many bulbs. i put 23 and emailed him and said can you change my order to 13 blue and 10 white. I emailed him before i paid and waited to hear back first. bought on Monday heard back Tuesday and paid and they were shipped Tuesday afternoon! You might ask if he has sockets too? i ordered mine from some other ebay store and they took extra 12 days to get here! :angry:

Edited by fote03

Swayd, did you ever get that Par38 from LED Wholesalers? or did you not like it?

I ordered one, was defective, returned it but looks like it got "lost in the mail". I do think this GU10 set-up will be much better!

Btw, thanks Fote! 1 inch is about 25mm... so that's too big to fit into the 21mm opening. =/ but I might still go with the T's and rig something up...

Edited by Philip271

Yeah I did order it and it is defective!

It also is a very nice light for the price!

When I turn it on, it sometimes flickers and then turns off and takes like 5 minutes to get it going again!

Last night at about 12 It just turned on all by itself lol...

I just recieved the return shipping label but I think im just going to deal with it, because thats exactly what I dont want happening(getting lost during shipping or them saying its completely fine).