inTank Media Baskets

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

Lemme elaborate.

GU10-based lighting is by far the cheapest solution I've come across.

You'll spend A LOT more even on other DIY solutions, let alone if you're considering a commercial fixture. (I'm using some of each on my system now....first I replaced my old GU10 system with a commercial fixture...then I built a new GU10 fixture for my second tank which was dark before that.)

I will say that it's worth reading this whole thread, though. As with anything else, these lights are not perfect, even as good and cheap as they are. So take advantage of the experience that's been collected here and get to know the details!

-Matt

I think they are awesome.

cool! I bought mine 3 weeks ago, but didnt get it yet. However, I think I made a mistake. the blue bulbs that I bought are 220v AC only. does anybody know if this will be a problem? Thanks

Not good...and return postage is (AFAIK) prohibitive.

Do you know are they 220v/50Hz or 220v/60Hz? In theory there are power converters, but finding one that converts 120v/60Hz into 220v/50Hz didn't work out for me.

Most go the other direction, converting to 120v instead of from it. The ones that converted to 220v that I found were either 60Hz-specific or they were too generic to specify at all. 220/60 might be easier. (I was also trying to make a pump work that I ended up with through an eBaytNswitch - not lights. FWIW.)

-Matt

Not good...and return postage is (AFAIK) prohibitive.

Do you know are they 220v/50Hz or 220v/60Hz? In theory there are power converters, but finding one that converts 120v/60Hz into 220v/50Hz didn't work out for me.

Most go the other direction, converting to 120v instead of from it. The ones that converted to 220v that I found were either 60Hz-specific or they were too generic to specify at all. 220/60 might be easier. (I was also trying to make a pump work that I ended up with through an eBaytNswitch - not lights. FWIW.)

-Matt

Hey Matt, I do no know. This is the description, :

Base Type: GU10/E27/MR16/E14

Rated voltage: 220V AC(MR16 DC 12V)

Power: 3W

Light Color: White/Warm White/Red/Yellow/Blue/Green

Lumen: 90lm/led

Led Qty.: 3pcs

Beam angle:60°

Life time: about 25,000 hours

Material: Made of Aluminum alloy

I was thinking about a 220v to 110v converter. Sorry for all the questions, but I dont know anything about electricity.

• 2 weeks later...

How many of these would I need over a 5.5g? Thanks!

Depends a little on the shape, but I'd be tempted tp do one (get a bulb with blue and white mixed) and mount it higher (>12") to get the spread you need. 30º lenses are a must.

How many of these would I need over a 5.5g? Thanks!

according to the owner of this thread is the length of the tank divided by 2 -1. so if your 5.5g is 16" long /2 is 8-1=7 bulbs

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I think I've read this all correctly but am looking for confirmation. Great amount of info in this thread btw!

I have a 3 gallon pico (roughly 9 x 9 x 9 inch cube). I believe the best light would be the 21w option sold here http://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-15-21-27-36-54W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Coral-Reef-Tank-Plant-Grow-Lamp-PAR38-/181593782595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2a47d53943

Power: 21W

7pcs* high power 3W Bridgelux led(blue: white=3:4)

Light Spectrum: blue 460~465nm; cold white 6500~12000K

Input voltage: AC 110~220V

Lumen: about 1260~1470lm

Viewing angle: 60 degree(best for plants)

Recommended Lighting time: 8~9 hours

Full Aluminum housing for enough cooling

Suitable for coral reef and fish aquariums

CE & ROHs approved

Dimension(diameter*height): 94mm*99mm/3.7inch*3.9inch approx

Life span: above 50,000 hours

Or maybe the 27w?

Power: 27W

9pcs* high power 3W Bridgelux led(blue: white=3:6)

Light Spectrum: blue 460~465nm; cold white 6500~12000K

Lumen: about 1620~1890lm

Input voltage: AC 110~220V

Viewing angle: 60 degree(best for plants)

Recommended Lighting time: 8~9 hours

Dimension(diameter*height): 121mm*128mm/4.76inch*5.04inch approx

Full Aluminum housing for enough cooling

Suitable for coral reef and fish aquariums

CE & ROHs approved

Life span: above 50,000 hours

I'm only planning soft corals like zoanthids, green star polyps, Xenia, etc. I have a smaller led (5 led) which I think has a 30 degree spread and it only gets one side of the tank. That side of the tank looks great though.

Unless you have some strange or unusual non-tank requirements, you could do a tank that small with a single 3-watt bulb. If your smaller bulb is mounted at 12" you should get a decent spread...raise the light a little higher if you want more coverage, but 12" should be about perfect without over-lighting the glass and space around the tank.

According to the thread's standard install at 12", you'd only need three regular gu10 bulbs at most.

Unless you have specific reasons (or wanna try your smaller bulb), I would go this route and skip the larger bulbs with the wider optics.

-Matt

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Anyone notice that Coralife has a new light out using the mr16 version of our bulbs?

It's designed to sit on the tank like a "normal" aquarium light (maybe 6" from water?), so the lamps are slightly offset from one another and have wide optics. The lamps are replaceable, as you would expect, and the fixture comes half-loaded so you can add on.

Not cheap, but cool to see!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
nanomania

hey guys i know its a nano reef forum, but would 2 rows of 3x1w gu10s work for 72"x24"x24" mixed reef? or will i need 3x3w? also howmany rows?

Two rows @ 12" from the water should do it!

Three watts per bulb - no matter the format - will be perfect. More isn't needed.

nanomania

So at 24" height of the tank.. another 10" to 12" height from water is really ok? Coz thats 34" to 36".... tinygiants 55g is 22" + 10" from surface of water. Thts 32".

Yup. :) The 3-4" of difference in height between a 180 and 55 isn't really that significant. These lights are also more intense than everyone imagines going in....witness all the builds with needlessly higher-power bulbs or more-dense layouts. (One of my builds included.) ;)

Coralife's Aqualight LED uses essentially the same lamps, just plug-in style and with lenses suited to on-tank deployment. Searching for that brand might be another way to find for others using these bulbs on bigger tanks.

Just a thought. :)

• 6 months later...

Seems like it's been a while since anyone posted on here but would like to know if anyone can help me. Does anyone know a vendor on eBay or wherever that sells gu10 bulbs that are 2Blue 1White? Seems like the vendor Luck...something is no longer selling these on eBay. Thank you in advance.

• 5 months later...

LOL...late reply...but no I don't know of any others building them like that, but it seemed like lots of ebay lighting vendors will customize some bulbs for you. Just ask, but be willing to ask a few! :)

• 1 year later...
MaxedAquatics

bump

Can anyone please give me a good link to some cheap white and blue lights. It is pretty difficult to find a gu10 with a 30 degree beam angle.  I found some with 40 (white ones) and I think they will be fine.

ALSO= how many white vs blue bulbs should I place?

Thanks!

You might have to message a few vendors that have the odd-lens sizes and ask if they can customize.

Also remember that lenses costs slightly more than dirt. :D  So you can buy bulbs and lenses separately if you wanted to.

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2019 at 4:26 PM, TheStar said:

Which ones did you order?

Any should work...just search for "blue gu10" or "neutral gu10", for example.  Post the links you find if you have any doubts.