Innovative Marine Aquariums

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

aquaenthusiast

I have a BC 29 and I'm seriously contemplating buying these, could I take the lenses off so that the beam wouldn't be so narrow, if I go with 5 whites and 5 blues would that be enough?

TinyGiant

keep in mind that the led boards are not screwed to the metal heatsink shroud. And they use the optics to keep the board firmly pressed to the thermal paste/shroud. If you are going to run them without optics clean off the thermal paste and get some thermal epoxy to make sure they stay in contact with the metal housing to correctly dissapate the heat. Otherwise the gravity will eventually cause the led board to hang down leaving it without a way to cool off..

Did you just use basic extension cords for this, or did you use heavy duty ones, with the 3 prong plug? I just went to the store and bought both because I didn't know what you used?

TinyGiant
Did you just use basic extension cords for this, or did you use heavy duty ones, with the 3 prong plug? I just went to the store and bought both because I didn't know what you used?

just basic ones. i did use three prong.. but you wont need the ground prong.. i just had them laying around the house so i used them. but I dont think it matters really

Finally got mine all set up. Just 10 blues so far but whites are to come as soon as I receive the power supply for the buckpucks. Pretty damn bright for just 10, of course I cannot compare them to crees or anything because I only have experience with the cheap ebay ones. Iphone doesn't reflect the colors properly obviously but it looks great in person.

Anyhow pictures

0f38d6e7.jpg

Room with light off:

7fb24f56.jpg

Room with light on:

92d34652.jpg

Held it over the tank just to see:

edb2483f.jpg

065ef1c8.jpg

Edited by Coastie
JeffYoshiyuki
you can use any track lighting system with gu10 sockets. they just wont dim if it has a dimmer

so they make track lighting systems in this "gu10 socket" in america? never seen a socket like that.

You can order sockets that will fit standard US lighting fixtures. I bought a sunpod and will be retro fitting them into that. I finally got my sockets last night and dam they are bright. I wish i had ordered more lol.

med-gu10.jpg

mrbigshot

why did you buy those sockets? these lights are available for e27/e28 sockets. you dont have to order the banjo lights light tiny did. you can get them with the screw in ends already.

Coastie got any pics with the leds off? What did u mount them on? build pic?

Sorry wasn't paying attention. I just used one of the 20" Coralife PC fixtures, it's PERFECT even has fans built it. I wired the driver to the switch on the light as well! Currently, I am waiting on a power supply to arrive for my bukpuks to wire up the whites. I should have some more blues coming too. Haven't decided if I am going to wire up more of them (am giving some to a friend) or what. Right now the blues are wired up to a Meanwell LPC-35-700 I got off ebay for $25 shipped. I bought 2 different colors of the whites so if I can figure out which are which, I'll post up which has a better color.

4c0b89e1.jpg

(disregard how the LEDs are wired, I'm an idiot. That been corrected just don't have an updated photo)

Picture of the fixture before.

33304e89.jpg

Edited by Coastie
why did you buy those sockets? these lights are available for e27/e28 sockets. you dont have to order the banjo lights light tiny did. you can get them with the screw in ends already.

Because im wiring them up into a sunpod fixture and either way i would need sockets so i just order the same stuff tiny did.

TinyGiant

the gu10 sockets are far more slimline that having to use a really bulky screw in type. its just allows for alot more room and possibility for more bulbs :)

Hey Tiny, was it about 2.5" tall WITH the socket, or is that just the bulb?

I got my hood/floating shelf made and am just waiting for my 2 dozen lights and sockets to get here for final testing/assembly. The suspense is killing me. :)

mrbigshot
the gu10 sockets are far more slimline that having to use a really bulky screw in type. its just allows for alot more room and possibility for more bulbs :)

no there not

lgbu631d.jpg

Mrbigshot, I found those too, and the bulbs to go with it. I thought about it, but I also wanted to go with something that had been somewhat proven (yeah, probably no difference between the e27 base and a gu10 base, but oh well)... After seeing above that sometimes the bulb may be yellower depending on what one you go with, I went with the same stuff that tiny has, since he had pictuers and good results with them. I actually hope you order those and try them, though, because the more info we have the better!

If this really ends up being a legit alternative to the more expensive leds, which I suspect it will be, then I'm going to be jumping for joy. The color on tiny's tank is exactly what I want, and I'm going to add a 36" strip of blue strip leds for a moonlight. So far, cheaper than MH setup for this tank, and only slightly more than a t5ho cheapy off ebay!

sidekick101

Just a quick question befor I order mine. They are going on a standard 5.5 gallon. I think I am going to go 5 white and 5 blue. Will this be enough for most corals? also do I just run them in a single strip down the middle of the tank or two seperate strips?

Philip271

Been reading up on all the lighting options as I'm getting back into reefing. Had a 30g running on PC's ages ago, now I'm setting up a 4g picotank. It looks like LED's are the way to go! Nice write up Tiny. =)

Just wanted to clarify, you used 9 on your fifty five gallon tank or a five point five gallon tank? Thought you used 10 on your fifty five gallon tank. Wouldn't 9 on a five point five be way too much?

Anyway, I just ordered the GU10 sockets, 3 3w cool whites and 2 4w blues. Oh, also ordered a 4w red because I wanted to see if I can swap in a couple of the 1w red LED's into the blue or white bulbs.

Now I just have to come up with a nice/clean way to mount these... hmmm...