Innovative Marine Aquariums

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

Thanks boxboy, my tank is not that big at 2.5 gallon capacity with a top opening of 6"x6" and about 9" tall. I was originally thinking of just doing 2 blue and 1 white but i bought some extra just in case i decide i want a bigger tank later

My pico is 9" cube all around. and I use 2 no lenses. I feel using 2 with.optics about 6"-8" off water.

and 2 no lenses 4"-5" off water would work really well. for soft, zoas and lps at least.

zombiesniper308

i have a one gallon pickle jar reef. yes a glass pickle jar. but i thinking about getting one gu10 bulb, the one that a 2:1 blue to cool white.

actually this bulb HERE off ebay.

do yall think i will have good growth for my zoas??

i might also do a 50/50 with a blue and white from here, but how do you get access to the leds?? there isnt screws. i hate to buy it and i cant take it apart

Edited by zombiesniper308
i have a one gallon pickle jar reef. yes a glass pickle jar. but i thinking about getting one gu10 bulb, the one that a 2:1 blue to cool white.

i might also do a 50/50 with a blue and white from here, but how do you get access to the leds?? there isnt screws. i hate to buy it and i cant take it apart

The first one you may want to go with no optics to get a good color mix, or get two or three of them and overlap the light coverage. If you want to modify or remove the lenses, you can disassemble them with a small phillips screwdriver. Hoping to find time later this week to post pics of my 10g setup I just finished with those exact bulbs.

zombiesniper308
The first one you may want to go with no optics to get a good color mix, or get two or three of them and overlap the light coverage. If you want to modify or remove the lenses, you can disassemble them with a small phillips screwdriver. Hoping to find time later this week to post pics of my 10g setup I just finished with those exact bulbs.

Are you are talking about the 1wx3 or the 1wx4?

Im leaning toward the 4 led one. But i just want to make sure i can take them apart without tearning them up. I know the 3 led ones are taken apart via screws

C.I._Reefer

Im leaning toward the 4 led one. But i just want to make sure i can take them apart without tearning them up. I know the 3 led ones are taken apart via screws

3X1w > 4x1w

independent optics, better spread, better heat dissipation. I know tiny will agree with me on this one.

I'm talking about the 3 bulb ones. Just be careful when reassembling them. I crushed the plastic bubble over the actual led emitter and ruined one of my bulbs (until I solder in a new led) while changing out for wider optics.

Ok change of plans, just got a 20L the other day so now that's my new subject. I am planning to make it an AIO so that will shrink the size from 30" to around 25". How many would you recommend for this build and also about how high should i hang them? I'm currently waiting for 4 cool white and 4 blue to arrive in the mail sometime next month.

A pickle jar??? can you start a thread and post some pics? It sounds pretty cool!!! :D

C.I._Reefer
Ok change of plans, just got a 20L the other day so now that's my new subject. I am planning to make it an AIO so that will shrink the size from 30" to around 25". How many would you recommend for this build and also about how high should i hang them? I'm currently waiting for 4 cool white and 4 blue to arrive in the mail sometime next month.

12 bulbs alternating in a straight line should do ya pretty well. 11-12 inches off the water

Edited by C.I._Reefer
Hey TinyGiant thanks for this thread. Unbelievable how many people is still being help by it!. Frank.

glad to help! i'm still rocking my setup and actually inspired a guy at our monthly frag swap to start a build :P

very happy to help out fellow reefers!

12 bulbs alternating in a straight line should do ya pretty well. 11-12 inches off the water

Thanks C.I. Guys i need to order 2 more of each pieces soon

I am going to try something new. Later this week I will be ordering from Luckzdl the following:

1pc 10w Royal Blue Hybrid led + heatsink

1pc 10w led lens (I asked for an 80 degree lense)

1pc 10w waterproof 85-265v AC driver

I am only going to order one to start with and see how it looks and make sure the color is what I am going after. If its not I will use it to suppliment something later. I know the cost of this setup is more than the GU10 bulb but I like that it has the Royal blue and 20k LED's intigrated together I think it will blend well. Plus it's not the normal.. gonna step out and try something new.

The AC driver I also think is nice since I just have to wire the plug on it and it's done, Don't have to try and match a power supply to it. The AC driver was the same cost as the DC driver without the added expense of the power supply.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Finally got my homemeade hood painted and finished.It is using 7 (should really be 8, but i broke one of them playing with wider optics) of the 2blue/1cw bulbs from ebay. Plenty of room to add more lights if I decide to. I'm debating adding a door to the front to completely cover the equipment hanging on the back, but that may come later.

2012-06-24115256.jpg

2012-06-24115150.jpg

2012-06-24115120.jpg

If I'm already waiting for 4 blue and 4 cool white for my 20L and I'm going to order 2 more of each, what other colors would you recommend? I was thinking maybe scattering them behind and in front of the white and blues in a separate row.

Thanks again guys and tiny for all your help and this great thread.

If I'm already waiting for 4 blue and 4 cool white for my 20L and I'm going to order 2 more of each, what other colors would you recommend? I was thinking maybe scattering them behind and in front of the white and blues in a separate row.

Thanks again guys and tiny for all your help and this great thread.

Anybody? I was thinking maybe some reds and purples our other colors just add accent. Also since i will need 4 more bulbs to cover the tank should i order them all blue?

C.I._Reefer
Anybody? I was thinking maybe some reds and purples our other colors just add accent. Also since i will need 4 more bulbs to cover the tank should i order them all blue?

probably just get blue. Red is way overpowering as a whole bulb and purple is hard to find and expensive. Green doesn't do much for color/spectrum

probably just get blue. Red is way overpowering as a whole bulb and purple is hard to find and expensive. Green doesn't do much for color/spectrum

sounds good thanks again C.I. i will be ordering them today and hoping to get them very soon. I actually saw some on eBay that had CREE LEDs but i think the guy said he only had them in warm and cool white.

gonzalez78

Another stupid question, what if i was to get the remaining 4 bulbs i need in a combination where each bulb had 1 cool white, 1 blue and one red? One of the Ebay Sellers says he can do that for me just to specify in my orders special instructions.

Another stupid question, what if i was to get the remaining 4 bulbs i need in a combination where each bulb had 1 cool white, 1 blue and one red? One of the Ebay Sellers says he can do that for me just to specify in my orders special instructions.

If you do, maybe take out the optics over the red LED and/or only go with 2 bulbs with red in them? Like someone else said, the red is supposed to be pretty strong, but I have to admit I have been wondering how well this would work (I have room for 3-4 more bulbs in my hood), so if you go with this make sure to post the results.

Edited by babboa
gonzalez78
If you do, maybe take out the optics over the red LED and/or only go with 2 bulbs with red in them? Like someone else said, the red is supposed to be pretty strong, but I have to admit I have been wondering how well this would work (I have room for 3-4 more bulbs in my hood), so if you go with this make sure to post the results.

Well, this is still just a thought but i might just get the other four i need either full blue or 2 blue and 1 white LED each then just buy some red LEDs and put them on my driver i have and a heatsink. Also some moonlights

C.I._Reefer
I ordered a cree 3x3w for $4. Cool white. If it works i plan on ordering more.

without major forced cooling it will burn up within a month. The tiny bell housings on these bulbs simply dont have the ability to dissipate the heat of 3 3w emitters. 1x3w is the way to go.