SaltCritters.com

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

Is it aquastyle? I have an aquastyle 48 led kit on my tank with bridgelux lights. I use a reef angel controller to dim. Your tank looks really nice

Thanks.

Nope it does not have a brand name as such sorry just bought it via eBay from China and probably either a copy of something like a Reef Beam or similar..

Oh. Ok. Nice tank once again. Is it 50/50 white blue

Here's the spec to the light as advertised on eBay.

Specification and Description:

1)Size:400x212x65mm,Aluminum housing

2)Input voltage:AC85-265V

3)2pcs 60W PWM dimmable driver,Max Power:120W, Minimum Power:12W

4)30pcs Bridgelux Blue LED :465nm ;25pcs Bridgelux white LED 14000K

5)Life span:50,000 hours

6)2pcs power cords and 2pcs switch

7)Warranty:2 years 8)1 set adjust hang kit

Functions:

1.10%~100% Dimmable by the supplied remote controller. The controllers default power is sets to the minimum LED power start up of 10%.

2. The Controllers LCD screen is bright and clear and is easy to operate

3.The controller has both dimmable auto mode and manual modes.

4. You can set the controller to 5 separate increment times for light dimming.

For example

8:00: Blue 30%: white 20%

11:00: Blue 80%: white 60%

14:00: Blue 100%: white 100%

17:00: Blue 50%: white 30%

20:00: Blue 10%: white 10%

4. The controller comes with a built in Perpetual Calendar, a clock status display and it also has an intelligent and humanized design program.

5.One controller can connect to up to individual 4 light units using an Ethernet cable to link them all together.

6.Our dimmable light utilizes the newest LED technology available with intelligent design programs with more functions. The remote controller has a power-down memory to ensure it will be automatically reverts to the previous programmed settings when next powered on. The programmer will automatically compare the current clock time and revert to the settings prior to the loss of electrical current to it. The controller keeps the programmer reliable and ensures the light is working safely,reliably and intelligently.

7.Factory Reset:If you want to restore the programmer to factory defaults then simply please press the button through the hole in the back using a thin stiff wire using something like a paper clip.

8.The light remote control dimming unit uses the RJ45 string port design technology. The controller has 4 ports and can control 4 separate LED light units all working at the same time. The LED unit is easy to use and more powerful than previous LED's utilizing the latest LED technology.

Looks great. How's your growth an Coloration?

Functions:

1.10%~100% Dimmable by the supplied remote controller. The controllers default power is sets to the minimum LED power start up of 10%.

For example

4. The controller comes with a built in Perpetual Calendar, a clock status display and it also has an intelligent and humanized design program.

5.One controller can connect to up to individual 4 light units using an Ethernet cable to link them all together.

6.Our dimmable light utilizes the newest LED technology available with intelligent design programs with more functions. The remote controller has a power-down memory to ensure it will be automatically reverts to the previous programmed settings when next powered on. The programmer will automatically compare the current clock time and revert to the settings prior to the loss of electrical current to it. The controller keeps the programmer reliable and ensures the light is working safely,reliably and intelligently.

7.Factory Reset:If you want to restore the programmer to factory defaults then simply please press the button through the hole in the back using a thin stiff wire using something like a paper clip.

8.The light remote control dimming unit uses the RJ45 string port design technology. The controller has 4 ports and can control 4 separate LED light units all working at the same time. The LED unit is easy to use and more powerful than previous LED's utilizing the latest LED technology.

Functions:

For example

Well do bare in mind I have only had it 10 days and only today put the lights up to 80% blues and 100% whites so early days yet but all the signs are good with good coloration and growth. I will be able to report more in a few weeks time when my corals have adjusted to the new light.

Tiny Giant,

I looked but could not find a picture of your wires joining the plug end of operations...can you link to or upload a picture of the paralleled wire being spliced into the plug wire?

Thanks,

Jamie

i just splice them in.

there is reverse polarity protect.. so you can screw up. just put one side of the parallel to one side of the plug and the other to the other side.

Found a gu10 type bulb. but has 7 dioeds. specs below.

Specifications:

Base:GU10   (E27/E14 are available)

LED type:7 x 1W

Power consumption: 7W

Constant current:350mA DC 

Input Voltage:AC 85-265V

Luminous Flux:595lm(warm white) / 700lm(cool white)

Beam angle:15,25,45,60degrees  

Materials:PMMA and aluminum-alloy

Average lifespan:50,000 hours

Color Rendering index:≥80.0Ra

Ambient humidity: 85%

Operating temperature:< 52°C

Power factor: ≥0.95

Dimensions:Φ94 x 90mm

Gross weight: 0.37kg

Certifications: CE and RoHS

Colours:warm white, sun white, cool white, red, green, blue, amber,etc.

Color temperature:Cool white: 5,500 to 6,500K

Sun white: 3,800 to 4,800K

Warm white: 2,700 to 3,300K

Remarks:Different watts and chips for your choice

Edited by boxboy

does the above post look like a viable option for some nano/picos? If I order them I have to buy 10 at one time. what color combo would work best?

does the above post look like a viable option for some nano/picos? If I order them I have to buy 10 at one time. what color combo would work best?

I'd be leary of anything over 4 watts in a gu10 form factor - I'd be worried about it being able to adequately radiate enough heat. It's just a suspicion, but there have been a few not-so-great experiences on here with the bigger wattages. I would by a small number to experiment with before putting big money or big effort into these bulbs.

Gu10 3-watt and 4-watt bulbs are the most tried and true solution and should be adequate for almost all installations, IMO.

-Matt

First of all, guys, you are truly amazing. I have a new 13x13x13 7g tank. I am willing to add some of these bulbs. Should I go with GU10 3x1W 60 degrees for good spreading? Will the color blend nicely, or I would have to solder out some of the LED's and mix em up. I was thinking of getting 5 blue and 3 cool white. The real problem is i can only get the top of the bulb 4.5 inches from the water level.

Any opinions would be most welcome. I was planning of keeping zoas and LPS. And maybe 1 fishie.

I'd be leary of anything over 4 watts in a gu10 form factor - I'd be worried about it being able to adequately radiate enough heat. It's just a suspicion, but there have been a few not-so-great experiences on here with the bigger wattages. I would by a small number to experiment with before putting big money or big effort into these bulbs.

Gu10 3-watt and 4-watt bulbs are the most tried and true solution and should be adequate for almost all installations, IMO.

-Matt

Thanks for the reply. The bulbs are actually par 30 lamps. just have the same sokets as regular gu10s.

I can also get it with standerd sockets. Any size lenses I want also.

SC20120612-162656.png

First of all, guys, you are truly amazing. I have a new 13x13x13 7g tank. I am willing to add some of these bulbs. Should I go with GU10 3x1W 60 degrees for good spreading? Will the color blend nicely, or I would have to solder out some of the LED's and mix em up. I was thinking of getting 5 blue and 3 cool white. The real problem is i can only get the top of the bulb 4.5 inches from the water level.

Any opinions would be most welcome. I was planning of keeping zoas and LPS. And maybe 1 fishie.

if you keep the bulbs in a tight line you should be good without too much spot lighting.

or double the amount of bulbs you were thinking of using and take the optics off (just make sure you thermal epoxy the LEd stars to the bell housing

if you keep the bulbs in a tight line you should be good without too much spot lighting.

or double the amount of bulbs you were thinking of using and take the optics off (just make sure you thermal epoxy the LEd stars to the bell housing

The problem is, my tank is in an awkward place, which in the time being, I can't place it somewhere else. And as I read on this very helpful thread, 16 bulbs over a 7g tank would a bit overmuch. BTW, my budget is about 50$, so 16 bulbs is out of the way :D

i had a 5g with about 8 bulbs over it and did great without the optics. you could always go that route until you can move the tank..then toss the optics back on. you'll get a perfect light blend without optics.. it just wont be as intense

That means I should get 3x1W with 30 degrees to take out, and when I can, put back in, or 4x1W with 60 degrees? The optics are my biggest concern, because I am already pre-minded on 5 blue and 3 cool white.

I was thinking of using these for blue , and for white. They both are 3x1W and 30 deg. Will I have any problems using 'em on 220V, since I live in Macedonia.

Edited by bojko
Thanks for the reply. The bulbs are actually par 30 lamps. just have the same sokets as regular gu10s.

I can also get it with standerd sockets. Any size lenses I want also.

SC20120612-162656.png

I see. Nobody I know of is using those - hard to say if you can directly apply people experiences from here who are using the more-common MR16-style bulb. (It's confusing since GU10 is really just a connector standard, but "MR16 w/GU10 base" is all people here mean when we are referring to a "GU10 bulb".

Personally I would roll with the tried and true, but I'd love to see pictures and here about the experience if you do decide to try those PAR30's. :)

-Matt

mcarroll

Thanks. Ill be ordering one soon to tinkey with it. for now tho Ive ordered somthing different. Should be here in a week or so.

How many would you recommend using on a Fluval Spec? The tank is 6x6x9 inches tall. Thanks.

Well, since no one chimed in to help i decided to go at it on my own. I offered 4 blue and 4 cool white with CREE leds add well as 8 sockets for gu10s. Too much or not enough? haha

Well, since no one chimed in to help i decided to go at it on my own. I offered 4 blue and 4 cool white with CREE leds add well as 8 sockets for gu10s. Too much or not enough? haha

Ive seen people use 6 gu10s over a 3g pico and 9 over 10g frag tanks before.

I would think that your 8 would work well. If ur tank shallow (10" and under)u could remove the lenses for a better color.blend. otherwise hang the lights higher up. Hope this helps

I would think that your 8 would work well. If ur tank shallow (10" and under)u could remove the lenses for a better color.blend. otherwise hang the lights higher up. Hope this helps

Thanks boxboy, my tank is not that big at 2.5 gallon capacity with a top opening of 6"x6" and about 9" tall. I was originally thinking of just doing 2 blue and 1 white but i bought some extra just in case i decide i want a bigger tank later.

Thanks boxboy, my tank is not that big at 2.5 gallon capacity with a top opening of 6"x6" and about 9" tall. I was originally thinking of just doing 2 blue and 1 white but i bought some extra just in case i decide i want a bigger tank later.