Coral Vue Hydros

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

The worst part about these GU10s is how stinkin long the take to get. I have some I am still waiting on from the first week of january. Blows my mind how some Chinese shippers can get a product in my hand in 5-9 days, and others take 3+ weeks

drunkenmonk21

Heres my hood that I built. Going to have to redo the lights. Messed up the spacing and im getting spotlighting pretty good.

IMG_1009.jpg

Edit to add: Even with a little spotlighting going on these lights look great.

Edited by drunkenmonk21

Anyone have any expierence making a "pendant" style fixture with these? Like a really tight cluster really high off the tank, similar to the effect you would have with a metal halide pendant? I feel like with the stock optics it would work pretty well

Finished making my lighting unit using these GU10 bulbs. Looks really good, very impressed. The only problem is now I am having a major problem with algae growth and bubbles on my rocks. Velvety red colour strands are forming and loads of clear bubbles. Never had this problem before, but started less than two days after switching on the new lights.

It looks like cyano to me but seems a coincidence happening 2 days after adding new lights. I have a bare bottom so no sand leaching phosphates. Nitrates and phosphates readings are 0. I have siphoned off the "red stuff" but its back again within 24 hours even after doing 2 water changes within 48 hours of approx 30% each time

Could it be caused by the lights?

Anyone else had this happen after adding the new lights?

chances are its probably not the lights. Something else probably caused the cyno. get a poly filer and run that test your phosphates.. i bet you have some in the tank right now. Cyno cant grow without phospates. if there are phosphates then the increase in light might help them grow.. get the phosphates out and you remove the source of the problem. manual extraction can help too as you have already done :)

Thanks for the reply Tiny. I was going to DIY a phosphate reactor and run phosguard as I have some lying round somewhere. Saying that, probably be quicker to drop in a poly filter.

Would you recommend cutting down on the light period to slow down the growth as its such an ugly sight, or would that not do much?

Heres my hood that I built. Going to have to redo the lights. Messed up the spacing and im getting spotlighting pretty good.

IMG_1009.jpg

Edit to add: Even with a little spotlighting going on these lights look great.

My were a bit spotlighty but I lowered the light fitting and now a beautiful blend of colour I'm approx 6-8" off the water level

increased flow can help ward it off too .

i usually keep my light cycle where it is. as long as the cyno isnt hurting anything and you run a skimmer to keep the O2 levels where they should be the more the cyno grows the more it will also strip out the phosphate.. so i would keep it as normal and remove the cyno when you see it. Grab a poly filter and keep the system running as usual :)

Just mounted the first half of my GU10 fixture over my newly made 30g frag tank. It isnt yet finished but i had to get some light over the tank, cuz it already has corals in it! didnt quite think that through, but i had to get em outta my nano cuz i could keep my alk and cal up with over 100 frags chillin in there, esp since about 30 of em are sps. Pics to follow. very nice 20k look, but brightness could be better. it is probably shootin 500 par, but it looks dim to my eyes... damn LEDs

Just mounted the first half of my GU10 fixture over my newly made 30g frag tank. It isnt yet finished but i had to get some light over the tank, cuz it already has corals in it! didnt quite think that through, but i had to get em outta my nano cuz i could keep my alk and cal up with over 100 frags chillin in there, esp since about 30 of em are sps. Pics to follow. very nice 20k look, but brightness could be better. it is probably shootin 500 par, but it looks dim to my eyes... damn LEDs

how many bulbs did you do over what size tank?

one of the good/bad things about LED is there is no light spill. The light is really directional. So from the corals perspective is really bright and par filled.. but from ours, not always the case. Sometimes my tank seems really bright to me and other days not so much.. probably has to do with out bright it is in the room around the tank. In either case, everything is happy and growing :)

how many bulbs did you do over what size tank?

one of the good/bad things about LED is there is no light spill. The light is really directional. So from the corals perspective is really bright and par filled.. but from ours, not always the case. Sometimes my tank seems really bright to me and other days not so much.. probably has to do with out bright it is in the room around the tank. In either case, everything is happy and growing :)

Tank is 18wX30lX12h So I ended up doing 2 rows of 13 bulbs at 50/50 mix. I have one row up now and the other is going up today. I have them like 16" off the tank now, i know that is high but the blend is outstanding. How much PAR do you think is lost before the light reaches the tank? I think i will probable bring it down to 10 inches or so eventually.

OMG! How good are these GU10 bulbs. Only had mine up and running for just over a week and already noticed a difference with the corals. My Zoas have really opened up. They're huge now and the colors are awesome. Seen some growth in my Sps as well. The colours are really popping. :D Best thing I ever did was to upgrade to GU10's :D

OMG! How good are these GU10 bulbs. Only had mine up and running for just over a week and already noticed a difference with the corals. My Zoas have really opened up. They're huge now and the colors are awesome. Seen some growth in my Sps as well. The colours are really popping. :D Best thing I ever did was to upgrade to GU10's :D

Glad to hear it! I have been overall very impressed with these also. How do you feel about the actual brightness to the tank to your eyes?

Tank is 18wX30lX12h So I ended up doing 2 rows of 13 bulbs at 50/50 mix. I have one row up now and the other is going up today. I have them like 16" off the tank now, i know that is high but the blend is outstanding. How much PAR do you think is lost before the light reaches the tank? I think i will probable bring it down to 10 inches or so eventually.

i think the more drastic par drops happen when it hits the water. a couple inches more from the water might not make a huge difference. but i dont have a meter to test that theory

youll love it once you get row two up.

I cant wait for my new blues to arrive. I am going to take my whole hood apart and change the layout of the bulbs so i can get mor light around the columns.

Glad to hear it! I have been overall very impressed with these also. How do you feel about the actual brightness to the tank to your eyes?

It's like Tiny said before - "Sometimes my tank seems really bright to me and other days not so much.. probably has to do with out bright it is in the room around the tank"

I had planned to do a 50/50 mix but changed a couple of whites for blues and I love it. Got a blue hint just as I hoped for

Few New Pics

Jan 19th 2012

pinandgold1.jpg

Feb 14th 2012

pinkandgolds1.jpg

Zoa Garden

Jan 19th 2012

zoagarden.jpg

Feb 14th 2012

(i fragged two blue tubs out and 6 ring of fires a few days ago)

zoagarden4.jpg

also added a ton of pics to my 55g thread. check em out!

Hey tinygiant, I just got a 150g tank and its 2ft deep. Is that too deep for these leds?

Also, did a little searching on ebay and came across some 6w gu10's. Are they worth it?