Top Shelf Aquatics

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

ohhh cr**.. what voltage is the GU10 should I be buying?

Input voltage: 85-265V AC with reversed polarity protect??? I did I just waist some $$

^that is what you want. I have noticed some are 220-240v only, avoid those. The wide range ones are the ones you want.

Edited by SRGaudio
^that is what you want. I have noticed some are 220-240v only, avoid those. The wide range ones are the ones you want.

Im in Canada. same voltage as u.s. anyways :happy:

Is the color purple from the camera? You only use 2 types of bulb?

mine is a very similar color. the pics above this post are of my new tank. its a super clean crisp color

mine is a very similar color. the pics above this post are of my new tank. its a super clean crisp color

Tempting me to build one for teh DT tank.

just wondeirng, anyone comtemplate using higher wattage bulbs like 9W (3x3W)?

its not worth it. they will get a lot hotter (in theory) and not last as long. that and the bulbs will be larger in size too which would make them harder to use in a tight space

grab one of those dimmer switches for track lighting.. that you would put in the wall at your house :)

you could probably email some of the sellers and see if they can custom make you some dimmable blue ones. Many of the ebay sellers are actually the manufacturers so they can do special requests :)

grab one of those dimmer switches for track lighting.. that you would put in the wall at your house :)

you could probably email some of the sellers and see if they can custom make you some dimmable blue ones. Many of the ebay sellers are actually the manufacturers so they can do special requests :)

I might look into this, if it can be done for a reasonable price

yeah that would be a great setup dimmable gu10 led bulbs so you can tweak the color and intensity.

I guess this would work :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Warm-White-3-1W...=item53eae95189

I tend to be happy with what I get.. i dont really see the purpose of dimming.

Acclimation of new corals, and having precise control of color blend stand out to me :P

Also, I ordered a couple of thos 460nm bulbs that you recommended to check em out.

Hey Tiny, I've been looking into building a fixture for my 72 bow front using these GU10's. Your threads have been very helpful, love the price and the light they put off. I have a very rough diagram, and was planning on using quite a few... let me know if this too much. I can get all 38 bulbs, wire and sockets for less than 250 so I wanted to "go big".

Dark circles = blue bulbs

Empty circles = white bulbs

69b4d21d-1.jpg

If heat is going to be an issue I can put fans in the fixture i make to blow over the heat-sinks

And what is the diameter of the bulb? am I correct that it is under 3"?

If its enclosed fans are cheap enough i would add them. I haven't on my GU10 Sunpod but i dont have the splash guard in so they stay pretty cool. I think 18 a side would be enough but cant never hurt to have more in case you upgrade to a 75-90-110 in the future.

Edited by fote03
Hey Tiny, I've been looking into building a fixture for my 72 bow front using these GU10's. Your threads have been very helpful, love the price and the light they put off. I have a very rough diagram, and was planning on using quite a few... let me know if this too much. I can get all 38 bulbs, wire and sockets for less than 250 so I wanted to "go big".

Dark circles = blue bulbs

Empty circles = white bulbs

69b4d21d-1.jpg

If heat is going to be an issue I can put fans in the fixture i make to blow over the heat-sinks

And what is the diameter of the bulb? am I correct that it is under 3"?

i think the face of the bulb has a 2" diameter. I think the first diagram might be a little better off.. the close the two bulbs are the better the blend. so putting blues with no whites near it will leave a darker corner..

If It were me i would probably try a solid row of BWBWBWBWB and then a smaller row in front of it. (to make up for the bow. a 72 bow is basically a 55g with a bow in the front.

so something like

bwbwbwbwbwbwbwbwbwbwb

.... bwbwbwbwbwbwbwbw.....

Edited by TinyGiant