ReefCleaners.org

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

My lights:

IMG_5910.jpg

The hoods not complete yet, got lots of things left. This is just the circuit I made off these lights. They are simply superb!

<This is my first DIY electrical job>

Tiny take looks really good man !

My 55g is doing great with these bulbs. I will update my thread once I get rid of the aptasia infestation.. I picked up a aptasia eating file fish yesterday so wish me luck I'm also going to get a few peppermints to help him out. He's a cool fish so far he is behaving not picking at any corals..lol time will tell :)

Tiny take looks really good man !

My 55g is doing great with these bulbs. I will update my thread once I get rid of the aptasia infestation.. I picked up a aptasia eating file fish yesterday so wish me luck I'm also going to get a few peppermints to help him out. He's a cool fish so far he is behaving not picking at any corals..lol time will tell :)

good luck :)

aptasia suck.

I have one in the tank and he's half buried in the sand so i cant grab him. I was gifted a bunch of sps from a friends tank that had ended up having a few majanos.. now i have a good 10 of those in the tank. I grab them when i can.. but I just hate knowing they are in there. I was pest nem free for almost a year :)

I'm ready to pull the trigger but have some questions maybe some of you can help me with. Btw I have read the whole thread and wow, led overload. Tiny if your were to make another set up for your tank would you do it the same with the same 3x1 bulbs or would you go 4x1...which is brighter? I know Neya thought the 4x1 were brighter. What's better 3x1 or 4x1 or 4x1 with 60 optics closer to the water? I'm trying to see if I can eek out a little extra par. I'm doing a 55gal and obviously I would do Tiny's 3x1 setup but that was a whole year ago and there are more options now. Hey Bulldogpet waiting for your pics...it's okay we won't be looking at the aptaisia we'll be looking at your lights and your tank as a whole. Thanks

bodyboarding_bum

Tiny, your tank looks fantastic! It's an inspiration for us all using these GU10 lights :)

I might've missed this, but have you got a tank journal with specs of the setup anywhere? I love the dimensions of your tank!

My GU10's are going great, already have noticeable growth and fantastic colour!

Tiny, your tank looks fantastic! It's an inspiration for us all using these GU10 lights :)

I might've missed this, but have you got a tank journal with specs of the setup anywhere? I love the dimensions of your tank!

My GU10's are going great, already have noticeable growth and fantastic colour!

in my sig click the banner. shows the tank. I had a thread about LED tank growth here

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=254742

And thanks for the kind words:)

I just setup a 33L today and will be building another GU10 setup soon :)

Hay Tiny,

Did you able to find any Royal Blue GU10 LED. I only found one with E27 base and others are globes with plastic cover over the face. Is there a way to replace some of the leds with royal blue leds and if so, any good place to buy them.

Thanks

Hay Tiny,

Did you able to find any Royal Blue GU10 LED. I only found one with E27 base and others are globes with plastic cover over the face. Is there a way to replace some of the leds with royal blue leds and if so, any good place to buy them.

Thanks

i havent had any issues with using the blue that they sell its like 420 or 460nm .. perfect actinic. I actually ordered 20 bulbs today for my new frag system :)

i havent had any issues with using the blue that they sell its like 420 or 460nm .. perfect actinic. I actually ordered 20 bulbs today for my new frag system :)

Hay Tiny, would mind sharing the place you ordered your LED bulbs. I really need few lower wavelength LEDs. Thanks

this seller has 460nm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-GU10-3Watt-Blu...#ht_2102wt_1180

i just orderd my last set of gu10 from them. I got a single bulb from them a little big ago and it seemed brighter than any bulb i have ordered in the past. it was only a 3w too. maybe the epistar brand they use is better than the others.

i just ordered 10 and 10 from them this week. Cheaper than anyone else too :) Gotta love it

how many lights would you recommend for a 75g 48x18x18? i would like a more blue look, closer to a 14-20k MH.

my aquascape consists of two islands, so i was thinking of making 2 separate fixtures.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by gveng

i received some of the bulbs from this dealer today. and am definitely glad I ordered from him again. The 460nm bulbs are great. the tank almost has a purpleish glow to it.. reminds me of when I used to run VHO lights on my tanks. super happy with them.

Hi Tiny

1st of all just wanted to say many thanks for your GU10 led build thread. It's been a great help and great to see the results you have had in growth of your sps.

What would you recommend for my tank

30" l x 18"h x 12" d

Mainly softies but a few sps. I would like a slight tint of blue. Would you recommend the bulbs in a line or spaced out differently?

Cheers

Dave

Do you guys run fans to cool them?

I find that the 3W (3x1W) bulb runs hotter than the 9W (3x3W) I have. The heatsink on the 9W LED is much bigger and while it gets hot, it doesn't burn you like the 3W w/ the smaller heatsink. I use them in a desk lamp for cheap fuge lights.

Edited by bizzarro
Do you guys run fans to cool them?

I find that the 3W (3x1W) bulb runs hotter than the 9W (3x3W) I have. The heatsink on the 9W LED is much bigger and while it gets hot, it doesn't burn you like the 3W w/ the smaller heatsink. I use them in a desk lamp for cheap fuge lights.

they are fine open air. My 3w led are warm to touch but not uncomfortable to grab and hold on to.

if you make a hood to put them in just make sure you have some holes in the top for the air to escape or put a tiny can in there so it doesnt collect the heat

Hi Tiny

1st of all just wanted to say many thanks for your GU10 led build thread. It's been a great help and great to see the results you have had in growth of your sps.

What would you recommend for my tank

30" l x 18"h x 12" d

Mainly softies but a few sps. I would like a slight tint of blue. Would you recommend the bulbs in a line or spaced out differently?

Cheers

Dave

i prefer to do a straight line. It blends the light better. 15 bulbs should be fine. 15 bulbs in a straight line and then maybe if you want to make it bluer add like 6 bulbs extra .. maybe like 3 in front of the line and 3 behind the line to accent it.

i have 3o bulbs over my 55g. 22 bulbs in a line and 5 on each side of it.

okay.. i'm getting more and more impressed with the new bulbs. I put one over my green tree nepthea leather and its easily 2-3 shades greener already.

okay.. i'm getting more and more impressed with the new bulbs. I put one over my green tree nepthea leather and its easily 2-3 shades greener already.

Are you referring to the $4.50 460nm's u just bought? Maybe I will order a few

yes. i would recommend it :)

Awesome Thanks for the suggestion, Would you say those are legitimately 460 nm? I know it is hard to tell, but "just blue" is definately different than actinic or 460 nm. I like a nice blue hue, but i dont wanna look to artificially blue(like blue looking sand and stuff), know what i mean?