Top Shelf Aquatics

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

Not sure on the 3x1 or 4x1 but my 3x3w get HOT.

Like I can hold the heatsink, but it's very close to feeling burn on the fingertips.

While I love my bulbs, given the heat generated it's plausible they will not last.

Box is not fully enclosed

Next box will have a dc fan wired in with vent holes and lots of hope

Not sure on the 3x1 or 4x1 but my 3x3w get HOT.

Like I can hold the heatsink, but it's very close to feeling burn on the fingertips.

While I love my bulbs, given the heat generated it's plausible they will not last.

Box is not fully enclosed

Next box will have a dc fan wired in with vent holes and lots of hope

My 3x1 watts get warm... But not to the point that I think the life will be diminshed... I can definitely unscrew them and change them while they're on with no issues!

Thinking about doing these on a new tank I will be setting up. The tank is a 75g cubish tank, it is 24X24X30 with the 30" being the height so it's deep. How many would I need to get good color and growth ?

6 rows of 6 should do it. And get the custom ones made with 2 blue & 1 cool white leds built in to each bulb

Thinking about doing these on a new tank I will be setting up. The tank is a 75g cubish tank, it is 24X24X30 with the 30" being the height so it's deep. How many would I need to get good color and growth ?

Awesome, AWESOME Topic! Thinking about doing this for my BC29 using an Ikea table top as the hood (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20011408) and bolting it to the wall behind the tank or hanging it from above. Do you think 16 GU10's would do the job? I was thinking a 4x4 off set pattern of:

BWBW

WBWB

BWBW

WBWB

or (since the display area is only 15"X20") 15 Bulbs of:

BWBWB

WBWBW

BWBWB

Recommendations for height above the water line?

Edited by spoinkster

HKled is who have have used. He is a great seller. He is the same one Tiny used when he started this thread.

spoinkster i would go with this lay out below and 10" off the water should be good.

BWBWB

WBWBW

BWBWB

well I went ahead and ordered 6 4x1 blue and 4 4x1 Cool white from LED-HK and 10 sockets, I figure I'm going to play around with these on the ten gallon I'm building for the kids, if I like it when I go to the 40br I already have 10 bulbs. plus 10 bulbs and 10 sockets only cost me 76 bucks, which was the same price for the crappy marineland LED light I have on the 10g right now...and that light sucks. good thing I save the reciept for petsmart lol, i'll be returning that sucker soon as the GU10 bulbs come in.

Ya im sure you could get away with it. Just make sure you can move the important corals around so they get enough light.

OK this tank will be mostly LPS and zoas/palys do you think I could get away with say 25-30 and then just add more if needed?

yeah, I was thinking in this Layout

WBBBW

BWBWB

and its only a standard ten gallon. if i find that i need more light or coverage its just a matter of buying a few more bulbs and sockets... I rather like this system.

Just watch out salt creep will rust them out. Do you have any kinda of protective shield between the water and the leds?

Tinygiant....

I have 5 white's and 6 blue's with no lenses on a 5.5 AGA. Can i keep SPS in this?

nano ~ I just ordered 6 4x1 w blues and 4 4x1w whites for my 10 gal. the great thing is with these lights you can always add or take away... start with a few and add until you're happy with the look.

nano ~ I just ordered 6 4x1 w blues and 4 4x1w whites for my 10 gal. the great thing is with these lights you can always add or take away... start with a few and add until you're happy with the look.

I'll start off with 5 bulbs then. (3 blues and 2 cool whites) I've seen these bulbs used in a hospital elevator. They look really similar so I'm sure they're the same bulbs. However, I might be wrong.. But if they were the same bulbs, they're pretty bright and have decent optics.

iheart, unless you have some major water splashing, salt isn't going to creep/jump/fly up to the bulbs.

nanopico, I'd get double that. 3blues and 2whites probably isn't going to be enough... but then it does depend on what you plan to keep...

nanopico, I'd get double that. 3blues and 2whites probably isn't going to be enough... but then it does depend on what you plan to keep...

I was planning on keeping some softies, mushrooms, zoa's and a little of LPS. Most of it will be softies, I like to see corals move. But I'll double the bulb anyways. x)

michelleshusband

problem with fewer bulbs is that color mixture is terrible. if you buy the 30 degree optics, you'll need to space them closely to avoid spot light effect. also, white seems to dominate blue any day so i recommend getting more blue than white.

i went and searched for 4x1 watt dimmables and they came out to be 8.25 per bulb shipped, if you ordered 20 of them.

anyone used dimmables yet? any info on them would be appreciated.

I was planning on keeping some softies, mushrooms, zoa's and a little of LPS. Most of it will be softies, I like to see corals move. But I'll double the bulb anyways. x)

with these bulbs, it's better to get a few more than not having enough and having to wait 2 more weeks to get more.

the extras you can use for fuge/another tank... or sell it here to save people from waiting 2 weeks. =)

I am looking at doing this over my 29 gal. I prefer a blue loof to the tank. With that in mind, how many bulbs should I get for this size tank? I would eventually like to keep SPS. I see you started with 22 for a 55 Gal, but deiced to add a few more later. Would 2 rows with 10 blue lights and 5 whit lights be enough to support coral growth?

SO I am actually getting a 60 gal tank instead. The dimensions are 20"x24"x30" tall I already have a LED light that I have over my smaller tank they are the 3w Cree LEDs and I have 24 of them. So If I use that fixture how many more would I need? And if I do the 4X1w and have them customized should I do 2 blue and 2 white? Or 3 blue and 1 white? I like blue but don't want an over abundance of blue:)