Top Shelf Aquatics

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

that hood might get somewhat hot. and the superglue will probably let go. To be safe i would hold the wires for each bulb that are run though the wood and zip tie them or something so that if the glue lets go the bulb wont fall directly into the water if the water lets go.

120v directly into the tank would be a serious problem.

michelleshusband

yea thats how its setup.

drilled 2 holes to put the wires through the wood.

superglue is to just hold them in place firmly.

the hood is not four sided but 3 sided. back is open and breeze from my window and or ac is keeping the bulbs cool enough to touch.

temp with the heater is around 76 to 80.

michelleshusband

for a 20L, i wanted to try 4*1w dimmable bulbs. Neya's dealer offered both white and blue so I got a quote for 20 of them at 165 shipped to CA. Thats about 8+ each bulbs for dimmables with 60 degree optics instead of 30 degree ones I have on 5.5g.

They also have a factory so they can mixed the blues and white into one bulb. In this situation, dimming would be pointless in my opinion.

I remember someone doing a 30 gallonish tank with all blues in the front and all white in the back (2 row action). How would that work on 20L?

would 20 bulbs be enough, too much for LPS and future SPS tank?

Honestly, I haven't tried the cree super led setup from rapidled or other places but I really like these GU10 leds. color is awesome, much better than my old 72w t-5 setup and runs so much cooler that i took out my loud fan.

I wanted to setup a 24 dimmable cree kit for 265 but is the extra money really worth it?

If anyone tried both, can you give an opinion?

superglue some powerful stuff.

3M makes some good tapes.

its designed to keep snails off.

agree on coral off the plugs. too lazy.

Superglue gives way with heat. Just a suggestion. I also thought of using superglue and decided the risk was not worth it. 120v over salt water. :blink:

We used #4 wood screws 1/4" rounded head for flat head driver. Worked great.

They also have a factory so they can mixed the blues and white into one bulb. In this situation, dimming would be pointless in my opinion.

If it's the first dealer I posted, not sure if its a factory. I got the gist he was doing it by hand, especially after I requested more of a certain bulb and he said he was no longer making those due to wanting to spend more time with family. I could be wrong though. The second dealer seemed like a more than one man operation. Lots of "we's" and "us" in the email back.

As far as vs a cree setup. I have not tried them, although started a project and decided with these bulbs available, I will wait until the technology improves and the LED's we like to use come down more in price. The leaps and bounds made yearly has been huge, as the price has continued to drop on xr-e & xp-e

20 on a 20L would be more than enough.

i have awesome growth on my 55g with only 22 bulbs.

i keep saying it.. start out with less and add more if you feel you need it.

i alwasys resist the urge to over spend and buy more than I might actually need. and add more if need be.

Just picked up a 55g and read this thread as I am looking at lighting options. Are you happy with the amount you went with ? I was thinking of doing the same and maybe adding a single T5 bulb to the mix any thoughts ?

michelleshusband
20 on a 20L would be more than enough.

i have awesome growth on my 55g with only 22 bulbs.

i keep saying it.. start out with less and add more if you feel you need it.

i alwasys resist the urge to over spend and buy more than I might actually need. and add more if need be.

sick of waiting 2 weeks for bulbs :)

tiny post some pictures mang. i wanna see ur light coverage and pen

thanks guys for the heads up and advice, I'll check out LEDHK and get some bulbs that way. I'll post what tomorrow when I have time for a more thought out response lol

Just picked up a 55g and read this thread as I am looking at lighting options. Are you happy with the amount you went with ? I was thinking of doing the same and maybe adding a single T5 bulb to the mix any thoughts ?

dont waste time and money on t5 lol i have t5 on my tank downstairs and it looks like crap compared to the gu10 55

the only thing i did was add 5 more bulbs to the mix on each side of the tank.

so i now have 32 bulbs.

but i probably could have just spaced out my original 22 to get the coverage i now have with the extras.

I am getting awesome growth, have a crocea clam that is doing great and have had awesome growth with all coral types. I have a grapes of wrath favia that is growint faster than my digis are :) and they are growint really fast too. i will snap some pics tonight. I like to wait until its dark out to make the pictures come out a little better :)

Just placed an order for 10 blue and 10 white also ordered sockets. I am going to see how well the coverage will be

you should be good if you do a zig zag pattern. i had a straight line down the middle.. my rocks are right down the middle. on a standard live rock up the back setup the 20 should be more than fine :) i have the challenge of getting light all around the columns

Okay i Took some quick pictures.

its hard to capture the actual color of the tank.. as you all know.. i think i got it pretty close.

one of the full tank pictures was with auto white balance and the other was without. its about somewhere in the middle.

without white balance corrector on

IMG_2072.jpg

with

IMG_2075.jpg

probably somewhere in the middle.

i hate taking pictures of the tank. they never look as good as the tank does in person.

here is a link to the whole album of pictures :)

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/3mr...%20july%202011/

enjoy!

open lid

IMG_2096.jpg

lights

IMG_2094.jpg

couple random pics

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

michelleshusband

good stuff. me being more of a perfectionist, i would force you to do it again with correct spacing and wattage :) but the colors look pretty good. I know it looks better than the pictures.

Hey everyone, I thought I'd stick it in here first, but I have 6 blues and 4 cool whites left over from my build. I'll sell them to anyone who wants them for $55.00 shipped. They are brand new, all tested working. I'm sorry for posting this in here, but it seems like people are having a hard time finding these now! I'll post in the for sale if I don't hear anything in the next 24 hours or so. Just pm me if you want em! Gotta buy em all, tho, won't split it up.

EDIT: These are sold, thanks!

Edited by Erics5.5

I keep getting questions about these lights messaged to me. i dont mind answering them .. but it would be better to post them in the thread so everyone can benefit from the answers and questions :)

Nice TG! Looks like bunch of your SPS has grown more branches.

I imagine the coloration look great too. What's your bulb ratio now? I'm guessing 20 blues and 12 whites?

it will be 21 blues and 11 whites. i think

right now its 15blue and 11 white. I am waiting for two more bulbs to come in and next time i have some extra cash i will be ordering a couple more until i am full up :)

Hey everyone, I thought I'd stick it in here first, but I have 6 blues and 4 cool whites left over from my build. I'll sell them to anyone who wants them for $55.00 shipped. They are brand new, all tested working. I'm sorry for posting this in here, but it seems like people are having a hard time finding these now! I'll post in the for sale if I don't hear anything in the next 24 hours or so. Just pm me if you want em! Gotta buy em all, tho, won't split it up.

wish i had the funds right now i need 4 more blue and 1 white to complete my hood :)

but i dont mind taking my time and getting them here and there. tank is happy without them now :P

michelleshusband

are those 4 watts?

They're the 3x1 watt. I guess I should have mentioned it! I'm getting great growth on my zoas and clam, just simply don't need this many extra with how long these should last!!!

Buy mine lol! They won't take 2-3 weeks to get to you! LOLOLOL!

Edited by Erics5.5

TinyGiant, do you have any red corals in your tank? If so, how is their color? I know some people complain about their red corals fading and turning orange, so I'm wondering how they do with these lights. Let me know! And if anyone else has any input, that would be great as well.