ReefCleaners.org

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm thinking about go with some of them over a square tank, 24x24x12. Gonna keep mostly softies maybe some LPS. I'm thinking these would work well for my application when I finally get it up and running.

should be great. I have tons of sps, clams softies and poylps under them all with awesome success..

i'm glad people at paying attention to these... i read for a good month or two on the cree and par bulbs before deciding to try these out (rather spend the 10-20 bux to try the bulbs than 100-200 on something very similar.

i was so impressed with the bulbs that i got on the first run that i decided to do the whole nano with it.. and eventually my 55g.

a friend ordered two par 38" and i really didnt like them. my tank is brighter and far more balanced and natural in color. I spent $150 total on my whole light setup for a 55. he had about $225 into his 30g. and he had to mount those lights so far above the tank to make it look "okay" mine are about 9-10" off the top of the tank

Does it really take 2 weeks to get them from china? Or is there someone in the US where i can order them?

Edited by fote03
Does it really take 2 weeks to get them from china? Or is there someone in the US where i can order them?

I am pretty sure if you want them that cheap you will have to wait. I have ordered the 3-1w blues and they work pretty well and are very cheap.

Just ordered 2 "test" bulbs in the blue for sh!ts and giggles. Could you post a picture of the bulbs above your tank as well?

Thanks.

Just ordered 2 "test" bulbs in the blue for sh!ts and giggles. Could you post a picture of the bulbs above your tank as well?

Thanks.

check out the video i posted the links for .. i think the first one has the whole lighting system shown :)

michelleshusband

thx for the cool info. I just ordered

1pc GU10 85~265V 4W Blue Energy Saving Bulb 4x1w LED

1pc GU10 85~265V 4W White Energy Saving Bulb 4x1W LED

5pcs GU10 LED Halogen Lamp Wire Connector Socket.

just want to test these out before i commit to making a custom canopy for my 20L.

I wonder how many I would need to cover 20L. its 30*12 so im guessing maybe (since its 30degree optics) about 6 to 12 inches off the surface and about 10-15 of these.

what do you think?

what kind of cord are you wiring these to? I notice theres 2 cords coming out of the socket do I need to hook them up to separate parts of a wire? are these like + and - or something. Im trying to understand this, but im terrible when it comes to electric stuff.

thx for the cool info. I just ordered

1pc GU10 85~265V 4W Blue Energy Saving Bulb 4x1w LED

1pc GU10 85~265V 4W White Energy Saving Bulb 4x1W LED

5pcs GU10 LED Halogen Lamp Wire Connector Socket.

just want to test these out before i commit to making a custom canopy for my 20L.

I wonder how many I would need to cover 20L. its 30*12 so im guessing maybe (since its 30degree optics) about 6 to 12 inches off the surface and about 10-15 of these.

what do you think?

15 bulbs.

figure one for every 2 inches is more than fine. or do one less than one every 2 inches.

fwiw it could be cheaper to use chinese leds and drivers but set them up in a diy fashion like other led setups, but the thermal performance would definateley be better

fwiw it could be cheaper to use chinese leds and drivers but set them up in a diy fashion like other led setups, but the thermal performance would definateley be better

i thought of that too.. but this is far easier. For those who want DIY but not have to ask a million questions or deal with a bunch of drivers and such this it :)

keep in mind too these aren't over driven most of them are at 350ma so they should run cooler and longer than most people are running the crees. I have noticed and light loss. At the price even if a few do have issues the savings would allow for some replacements here and there :)

it comes down to thermal resistance and total heatsinking area..i have a few single 3w bulbs that i use around the house and they get hot..but youre right, for the price it might still be worth it if you only get 20k hours out of them

i ran 9 of mine for about 5 months without the optics on the nano.. i wouldnt recommend that since the optics keep the led board secured to the thermal paste. I lost on due to over heating (the led chip hanged off the heatsink..

other than i've had great success and results with them :)