ReefCleaners.org

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

I ordered my LED's from an eBay seller by the name of "dreammacy." Placed the order on May 20 and was quoted for an arrival date for something like June 9 - June 16, but I received them today :) Definitely wasn't expecting them to come a week early. Everything looks good so far and nothing seems to be damaged. The LED's were packed in a bubble envelope with every lamp individually bubble wrapped as well. Once my sockets come in I'll start posting pictures of my build and progress!

Also, the order I received was 12 LEDs (6 blue, 6 white) for my 34 gallon 25x18x18. Opinons?

bodyboarding_bum

Been looking into LED for a while now, and these seem fantastic!

To those who have been running them for a while - what are your honest thoughts, when compared to one of the prebuilt LED fixtures you can buy?

How many would i need roughly for a 18" cube ? And then, one of the warm white for my 'fuge?

Was thinking perhaps 6 blue and 6 white, in the bellow arrangement?

B W B W

W B W B

B W B W

bb_bum, your arrangement looks good and should be plenty of light.

iheart... funny that I also received my bulbs from dreammacy yesterday that I ordered the same day as you. For your tank, i'd add a few more.. depending on what you are planning to grow.

Rule of thumb for these LED is that each bulb covers an area of about 4-5 square inches.

bb_bum, your arrangement looks good and should be plenty of light.

iheart... funny that I also received my bulbs from dreammacy yesterday that I ordered the same day as you. For your tank, i'd add a few more.. depending on what you are planning to grow.

Rule of thumb for these LED is that each bulb covers an area of about 4-5 square inches.

What a coincidence! LOL. The reason for only 12 is that I am planning on mainly LPS and zoas, with little to no SPS. Definitely no anemones or clams. If I need to, I'll add some more when I setup the tank :)

wildmanzeke

By the way thanks for the reply's. But there seems to be a wide variety of opinion on the amount of bulbs. well what if i just added these around the areas that i would keep SPS? i have my rockscape kinda like your's tiny. Two big islands. I also have another 6 Watt's x 3 of blue SMD Strip LED's and 2 36W Blue CFL's. What if i just put 6 of the LED's i just ordered kinda in a box shape above each island and keep the other part of my fixture running? I mean why light up part of the tank that doesn't need High output light for photosynthesis? I'll get a pic of my tank to show you what i mean in a little. 5.5 i'm going to go look for Pics now.

wildmanzeke

Eric.... killer build. I forgot about that one. That is just too freaking cool how you did the shelve as your light fixture... makes me wish my wife wouldn't make me have my own room for mine. It's nice at time's but every time i want to look at it i have to walk into another room. would rather do it from the couch. dont you love the shallow long? :wub:

By the way thanks for the reply's. But there seems to be a wide variety of opinion on the amount of bulbs. well what if i just added these around the areas that i would keep SPS? i have my rockscape kinda like your's tiny. Two big islands. I also have another 6 Watt's x 3 of blue SMD Strip LED's and 2 36W Blue CFL's. What if i just put 6 of the LED's i just ordered kinda in a box shape above each island and keep the other part of my fixture running? I mean why light up part of the tank that doesn't need High output light for photosynthesis? I'll get a pic of my tank to show you what i mean in a little. 5.5 i'm going to go look for Pics now.

Yes you could do this.

I would suggest supplemental light, unless you're aiming for the Japanese spotlight look.

Eric.... killer build. I forgot about that one. That is just too freaking cool how you did the shelve as your light fixture... makes me wish my wife wouldn't make me have my own room for mine. It's nice at time's but every time i want to look at it i have to walk into another room. would rather do it from the couch. dont you love the shallow long? :wub:

I was totally stoked when I found my tank in a hobby shop for $30... I was considering doing a cube beforehand, but this gives me sooooo much more real estate! I've got it set up like a lagoon now, with 3 piles of rocks and a lot of open sand, and a false wall on the left rear corner to hide all of my equipment. Thanks for the compliment, too, I am very happy how it turned out, and the wife was pretty excited that I incorporated her needs into the tank a bit, but giving her another place to put cutesy crap. HAHAHA!

I was totally stoked when I found my tank in a hobby shop for $30...

*Jealous*

My bulbs are at the local usps office (YAY). So customization+shipping wasn't even bad (11 days, from order date which was middle of the night in china).

The downfall, I sent them to my other address... And I won't be there for probably a week AAAAAHHH!

Edited by Neya

i haven't had any bad algae growth that i could attribute to the lights.

I have one power head that grew a tiny amount of hair and one small spot that keeps growing cyno.. but i feed alot of frozen food so both are sorta expected here and there :)

How long have you been running them? That's great! I'm gunna try this for a 5 gallon and just wanted to be sure before I took the plunge!

Now that I've got the lights done and tank cycled, I added some live stock over the weekend. They look great under the light!

3 cool whites up front and 3 blues in the back:

IMG3079-L.jpg

IMG3084-L.jpg

Blues only, adjusted white balance. They still look brighter/more colorful in person:

IMG3128-L.jpg

IMG3130-L.jpg

IMG3133-L.jpg

Very happy with these LEDs. Now we'll see how well the corals grow over time. =)

Edited by Philip271
bodyboarding_bum

Just ordered 15 sockets, 6 of the 6000-7500k whites, 6 of the blues, and 1 warm white.

Total : $78.20

Total / light : ~ $6.

Not bad! Can't wait for these to arrive :)

digitalfreq
I ordered my LED's from an eBay seller by the name of "dreammacy." Placed the order on May 20 and was quoted for an arrival date for something like June 9 - June 16, but I received them today :) Definitely wasn't expecting them to come a week early. Everything looks good so far and nothing seems to be damaged. The LED's were packed in a bubble envelope with every lamp individually bubble wrapped as well. Once my sockets come in I'll start posting pictures of my build and progress!

Also, the order I received was 12 LEDs (6 blue, 6 white) for my 34 gallon 25x18x18. Opinons?

I can't find this seller, can you post a link to the bulb that you purchased?

Thanks

so ive been thinking about whether to go with the GU10s from ebay or the ones from my contact that use CREEs.

I think imma go with the ones with the CREEs.

A little while back I posted to see who'd be interested in getting in on buying a bunch with me (quasi group buy) so we could save some $. I told him I would have multiple people buying so he included the shipping in the cost. Here are some prices for the GU10s. Let me know if anyone is interested in getting some with me.

Options:

Watts: 3x1w and 3x2w

Optics: 30*, 45*, 60*

Colors: Cool White, Warm White, Blue, Royal Blue

Dimmable/Non-Dimmable

Price Break Down per unit: (he made these the shipped prices to make it easier for us)

WATTS COLOR DIMM/No Dimm $/unit

3x1w WW Dimmable 22

3x1w WW Non-Dimmable 21

3x1w CW Dimmable 21

3x1w CW Non-Dimmable 22

3x1w Blue/Royal Blue Dimmable 21

3x1w Blue/Royal Blue Non-Dimmable 20

3x2w WW Dimmable 23

3x2w WW Non-Dimmable 22

3x2w CW Dimmable 22

3x2w CW Non-Dimmable 21

3x2w Blue/Royal Blue Dimmable 22

3x2w Blue/Royal Blue Non-Dimmable 21

Do you think it's worth it? I want to get 20 of em. I'm trying to get the guy to lower them a lil more but i'll see if he will. Let me know what you guys think.