inTank Media Baskets

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

Ok, Thanks! This fixture isn't going to work then. Sucks! I like the little fishes on the top of it.

maybe some gu10s are shorter? thats just the one that i have....looks like the standard ones that everyone is using.... ive seen elongated gu10s before.

I thought abt using one of those just couldnt find one used for a reasonable price! And who cares if they stick out a little adds character to the fixture!

So the eBay seller contacted me back and it seems he can make the 3x3w with 2 blue and one bright white (6k-ish) and 60 degree optics. Price is the same as eBay prices, more for anyone outside USA

His english seems ok, but I still wonder if it will work out ok.

So im going to go ahead and order and see what happens. I figure the worst would be 1. Doa bulbs 2. 6+ weeks to receive 3. Getting one blue bulb and one white - which wouldn't bother me either.

So the eBay seller contacted me back and it seems he can make the 3x3w with 2 blue and one bright white (6k-ish) and 60 degree optics. Price is the same as eBay prices, more for anyone outside USA

His english seems ok, but I still wonder if it will work out ok.

So im going to go ahead and order and see what happens. I figure the worst would be 1. Doa bulbs 2. 6+ weeks to receive 3. Getting one blue bulb and one white - which wouldn't bother me either.

FYI, i wouldnt bother with the 3x3w (9w total)... i spoke with a mfg in china and they said that although its rated at 3x3w, its only going to draw about 6-7.5w and that no mfg will have it drawing 9w because of heat issues. id see if u can save some money and ask for 3x2w. I have a 3x3w CREE that i recevied as a sample and put it through a kill-a-watt and it said it was drawing 6w.

do you know what kind of LEDs are in them?

FYI, i wouldnt bother with the 3x3w (9w total)... i spoke with a mfg in china and they said that although its rated at 3x3w, its only going to draw about 6-7.5w and that no mfg will have it drawing 9w because of heat issues. id see if u can save some money and ask for 3x2w. I have a 3x3w CREE that i recevied as a sample and put it through a kill-a-watt and it said it was drawing 6w.

He has 3x2w also, I Accidentally paid for them and he contacted me letting me know he can make it with either 3x2w or 3x3w ($1 more ea). I took a moment to think and paid him the extra bucks. Mostly because I've been exchanging many emails with him taking up his time.

Either way, I'm happy. The emitters must be cheap, as the bulbs are $9ish for 3x2w and $10ish for 3x3w. Im ok with that also, as Cree bulbs have a much higher cost.

He has 3x2w also, I Accidentally paid for them and he contacted me letting me know he can make it with either 3x2w or 3x3w ($1 more ea). I took a moment to think and paid him the extra bucks. Mostly because I've been exchanging many emails with him taking up his time.

Either way, I'm happy. The emitters must be cheap, as the bulbs are $9ish for 3x2w and $10ish for 3x3w. Im ok with that also, as Cree bulbs have a much higher cost.

cool. that is pretty cheap. yeh, CREEs prob are going to be pricey. im waiting for some pricing on CREE dimmable GU10s.

cool. that is pretty cheap. yeh, CREEs prob are going to be pricey. im waiting for some pricing on CREE dimmable GU10s.

That's what I thought(and that's the price shipped) even the 3x1w are in the 6-7 range from what I saw - might be $1 less.

I just received a couple of 3x1blues and shipping took less than a week. Will these work with a 120v power cord on a clip lamp? I just want to try them for supplementation but dont know what fixture to get.

One thing to keep in mind is that 3x3w's running at 6-7w should last longer than 3x2w running at 6w. Of course, with the low price and rapidly advancing technology most of us won't keep the same lights for more than a couple of years.

One thing to keep in mind is that 3x3w's running at 6-7w should last longer than 3x2w running at 6w. Of course, with the low price and rapidly advancing technology most of us won't keep the same lights for more than a couple of years.

Your item(s) has been marked as shipped.

I'm surprised, he customized them fast and on a weekend. Now, hopefully Chinese post gets it to a port quickly.

I'm *hoping* that is the case (more efficiency). His 3x2w are dimmable, and I may try some of those next time. Depends on how much I like these ones, and the color. I'm so excited.

I have to purchase sockets still and splicers and start work on the fixture. I have a feeling the bulbs will come before I finish the base and then I'll really be antsy. going to also wire a computer fan to dc adaptor to aid in keeping things cool er.

The other thing I'm hoping to do is make my fiancé make the outside case. He just picked up a ton of OT at work so I don't know if he'll be up to it.

Your item(s) has been marked as shipped.

I'm surprised, he customized them fast and on a weekend. Now, hopefully Chinese post gets it to a port quickly.

I'm *hoping* that is the case (more efficiency). His 3x2w are dimmable, and I may try some of those next time. Depends on how much I like these ones, and the color. I'm so excited.

I have to purchase sockets still and splicers and start work on the fixture. I have a feeling the bulbs will come before I finish the base and then I'll really be antsy. going to also wire a computer fan to dc adaptor to aid in keeping things cool er.

The other thing I'm hoping to do is make my fiancé make the outside case. He just picked up a ton of OT at work so I don't know if he'll be up to it.

Good luck and definitely keep us informed please!

Got my paypal payment, so I ordered the rest of the electrical items (14-16g quick splicers) and 5 gu10 sockets. I figure I wont need to use 10-12g wire, seemed silly, and costed more. They're quite cheap on ebay, it was under $5 for 25 shipped. Fiance said theyre also prob available at any auto part store.

All thats left is an extension cord, a piece of acrylic (maybe) to mount to, and some screws. I think. I know I'll be running To HD/lowes every 30min after I start.

wildmanzeke

hey i got a question? I just bought 12 for my 33long it's 42"Long x 13" High x 14"Deep. Do you think that will be enough to cover the tank with light?

i have a 55g and have 22 over it (same length and width)

if you raise the lights up a little you should be able to get a decent spread on them. where it is shallow it should be fine. I would bump it up to the 22 eventually :)

Do you think i could still keep SPS under it? I would do Two rows of six mixed 50/50.

Tinygiant is keeping sps with his setup in a 55.

I recently got a fully colored up rainbow monti frag from him, so it's definitely doable.

Edit to include:

I still think you'd personally need more than 2 rows of six though.

Edited by Neya

I don't think two rows of 6 is enough to cover 42x13". I would do minimum 2 rows of 9 or ideally 3 rows of 8 if you want to keep SPS.

i used 12 on my 20h, spaced every 2.75 inches with 2 extra in the middle for color blending.

on a tank that large for sps i would do three rows of fifteen. 2x13 would work if you kept stuff off the edges and away from the glass. these things dont have a whole lot of spread to them. 3 or 4 inch diameter circle when mounted about 22-23 inches above the sandbed or 4 inches above a 20h with a thick bed of sand.

i would do 1 row of 22 :) do the same as i have on my 55. its super even looking and all the sps grow awesome. Especially the ones right at the top. so having the shallow version of my tank should give you excellent growth and color throughout the tank :)

remember i have a croacea clam half way down my tank doing awesome with one row of 22 lights.. resist the urge to over spend and over light the tank. these suckers are quite powerful :)

hey i got a question? I just bought 12 for my 33long it's 42"Long x 13" High x 14"Deep. Do you think that will be enough to cover the tank with light?

Go back and look at the pics I posted in this thread. I have a 33long, and have 24 total bulbs over it. The pics show how I set them up. It works perfectly. I'm still in my cycle, but the spread and coverage is just right.

taichimaster

Hi guys,

I have a quick question. I have a standard 75 gallon (48Lx18Dx20H). I just ordered 35 LEDs (20 blues & 15 whites). I was wondering if this is enough for a mixed reef. I have lots of chalices at the bottom and some SPS on the upper half. Not sure how to place them. One row of 35 LEDS or other option?

taichimaster
35 sounds right. I know Tiny likes single row... but I'd say to arrange the 35 into 3 rows.

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure three rows of LED would cover 48" in length very well. Maybe I will do 2 row fo 17.

digitalfreq

Has anyone tried these LEDs??

Looks promising but it's a china brand..

3W LEDs

They also have 10W LED's the price seems fair.

10W

Edited by digitalfreq

I would look elsewhere. The 3W LEDs are junk, and the 10W SSC P7 is outclassed by the new Cree XM-L for less.