ReefCleaners.org

Sammy's 40B Build

sammy113

Thanks guys :)

Now my main issue is:

I'll be using most of the equipment from my current tank. I got about 30 pounds of marco rocks which I'm going to use so I will need to cycle again. I will need a skimmer (and I don't want to leave my cube without it) and I need to install the chiller cuase its going plumbed with the return pump in line (can't leave my cube without it now)

What I'm thinking is, filling up the 40b like 3/4 with the rocks and a power head. Find a spare skimmer and toss it in and start cycle. When the tank is ready, then transfer the equipment (chiller, pump, lamp, vortech) from cube to 40b.

Another option could be to plumb from the pump to the return in tank with hose so its cheap and easy to remove later

I'm thinking in going bare bottom in this setup. I really like the look of sand but the features and benefits from bare bottom are changing my mind. I'll go with starboard bottom and if later down the road I decided to add sand, no problem, on top of starboard goes sand

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seano Hermano

Why not transfer all of the rock and water from your 29 to the 40B? That should get you the bacteria you need. It would be more like moving houses(essentially) than a whole new tank. I've heard of many people doing this before - with no cycle. If it does cycle, it will be very minimal.

Of course if you have fish in the 2, well there becomes a problem. you could temporarily house them in a brute container.

Why not transfer all of the rock and water from your 29 to the 40B? That should get you the bacteria you need. It would be more like moving houses(essentially) than a whole new tank. I've heard of many people doing this before - with no cycle. If it does cycle, it will be very minimal.

Of course if you have fish in the 2, well there becomes a problem. you could temporarily house them in a brute container.

the reason I will do a whole new setup is cause I have a bryopsis problem in my current tank. While I have it under control with peroxide, still have some roots in the rocks and I will try to avoid contamination of the new rocks. Don't know how it actually may spread. Don't know if placing the rock in the sump will harm anyways. But I'd certainly love to seed my new rock with the old one

Seano Hermano

:o Don't add any more rock. keep it like that! :)

I know you said it earlier, but I forget...what kind of paint and how many layers did you use for the cabinet as well as the trim on the tank? I love the shinny look.

:o Don't add any more rock. keep it like that! :)

I know you said it earlier, but I forget...what kind of paint and how many layers did you use for the cabinet as well as the trim on the tank? I love the shinny look.

Yeah, I'll leave it like that. Love the open space for fish and corals to grow

The metal frame has two thick layer of paint. Used brush not spray. The wood panels are laminated (don't know if that's the right term... used "formica" same stuff used on kitchen cabinets)

Seano Hermano

Laminate countertop surface. I know what you mean. I never would have thought of that.

I was thinking about using a matt white paint (sprayed on the cabinet) with a lacquer top coat. Though I don't have an airbrush, so I don't know how I would spray the lacquer...

Try the laminate. Is cheap, easy to work with and will end up evenly. Unless you have a nice spray gun and compressor or have someone do it for you. Laminate is as simple as applying contact cement to both surfaces and then trimming with router

Seano Hermano

It looks very nice. Can you see the edge seems of the laminate around the edges of the doors (or does it looks like all one piece when it is done) ? I can't see it in the picture...

You will see the edge. It is just about 1/32" so its almost not noticeable. Especially if its a dark color but not my case. The trick is to plan which side goes first so you can hide the well. In this case, the doors were worked first by the edges. The main big side or front was the las part so it hides the thickness of the sides. So you will notice just the edge from the front panel when you look from above

Seano Hermano

OK, thanks.

One more question. ;):P

Where did you purchase the laminate; was it just at Lowe's/ Home Depot or did you buy it online? When I searched for laminate sheets, all that came up were whole counter-tops. lol.

I bought it in a small local hardware store but im sure home depot or lowes carries it. Maybe try a more specialized wood/carpenter store

Some new pics of what I did today

a199b663.jpg

Starboard bottom glued in place

226318b1.jpg

pump plumbing (I noticed I installed the ball valve/union the wrong way dammit)

bbd8422c.jpg

756ad8b8.jpg

Can't wait to get out of work to continue plumbing tonight!

The drain is also done, forgot to take pics. Now just need to work on the return and manifod for reactors and chiller

Moar!

831a84ce.jpg

All plumbed. The right side with ball valves are for the media reactors

567d6a88.jpg

Control panel :)

1c5b593d.jpg

Now can i have some water?

First run to check for leaks at least in the main lines. The one for chiller and reactor will be closed since there is still nothing installed

More progress pics!

Installed the hangers for the lamp. Wanted to leave everything ready in its place for when the time comes. Lamp is currently over my 20g cube

78a40051.jpg

b0285356.jpg

4cb4e89f.jpg

1e95f9ad.jpg

674cc72e.jpg

Again sorry for the bad quality pics from phone. I'm solazy to take the nikon and snap pictures! Haha once I have this running i promise to take nice pictures

OMG this is gonna make me have a tankgasm!!! im looking to get a 29 hqi but now im starting to think..... lol keep up the awesome work man!

Thanks guys

Rabid, got that guy this summer from Mexico :P

Can't wait either to see this wet. Wait, i actually saw it wet. Plumbing was all good but the pump turned out to have the impeller damaged. New impeller is on its way :) then i need to buy salt

and start cycling!!

Archived