SaltCritters.com

Sammy's 40B Build

sammy113

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha I hear you on that! I was gonna do a steel framed stand untill I found out how much the powdercoating would cost. :P

yeah is expensive. I went with steel because it didn't cost a cent. Just had to buy the wood and laminate for it. The rest was scraps and reused

Looking good, nice doors! can't wait to start my builds!!

Thanks ;) what are you waiting man!?! :lol:

Hey guys I'm really NOT digging the top rim in my 40B. If I were to remove it, what's the best option? Central brace back to front or eurobrace?

I'm thinking euro brace... How is the euro brace installed? on top of the side panels or inside the side panels?

The tank is 1/4" thick glass, is it possible to make the brace 1/4" thick or needs to be thicker? 3/8" or 1/2"?

I'm not too familiar with bracing a standard 40br but I can tell you that I got used to the rim pretty quickly. I love the fact that it keeps snails in check and holds my screen top. I've always been a fan of hiding the waterline too, along with the nasty that builds up along it. Think it over carefully as you investigate bracing it...although I can't blame you for wanting to go rimless and keep a clean look!

I'm not too familiar with bracing a standard 40br but I can tell you that I got used to the rim pretty quickly. I love the fact that it keeps snails in check and holds my screen top. I've always been a fan of hiding the waterline too, along with the nasty that builds up along it. Think it over carefully as you investigate bracing it...although I can't blame you for wanting to go rimless and keep a clean look!

good call :) but after all this time having DIY rimless tanks this one is making me going crazy! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I started drilling the tank.

aa616218.jpg

Drilled for a 1.5" bulkhead for drain and 3/4" for return

125c6800.jpg

Then cleaned all the mess to get ready to paint. Decided to move the tank to ease the painting and BANG! I hit it with an old acrylic sump I had near and there goes the crack

78d4a338.jpg

bd89b73b.jpg

Heres a full view with the stand finished

9b3c13a8.jpg

Needless to say I'm PISSED!!! :angry:

Now I need to remove the top trim to replace the glass side cause there's no way I'm buying a new one and drill it again! wish me luck

Dude that REALLY sucks. I know how it feels dude. The first tank I drilled I cracked it the same way. It was pretty heartbreaking.

But I agree with ben... that stand does look pretty fcking badass! Good luck dude!

Dude that REALLY sucks. I know how it feels dude. The first tank I drilled I cracked it the same way. It was pretty heartbreaking.

But I agree with ben... that stand does look pretty fcking badass! Good luck dude!

Thanks man, what really sucks is that it broke from a hit after I drilled, not while I was drilling which is the most nerve wracking moment. Funny thing is when I told my girl about it she told me: I guess all the neighbors knew it when you screamed? and I was so heart broken and pissed I didn't even cursed (at that moment, now I am every time I remember) :lol:

michelleshusband

sick sick stuff your doing here and your other thread.

any plan on doing a step by step video tutorials??

(you must do it!) :D

inspirational to people like me.

• 2 weeks later...

here's an update. Just got the new glass from the shop. Is already in its place. I decided to remove all the internal silicone and just leave the actual joint and go with a new bead all around from the inside. Will let it sit for 24 hours and leak test. Then put the overflow in place and I'm ready to plumb this bad boy.

Don't recall if I posted about the pump. Scored a little giant from ebay for $70. It was a 700gph model and turns out i received a 3MDQX which is 1100 gph! pump is like new!!! I'm pumped :lol:

here some pics

8556e7a9.jpg

ad675fc7.jpg

it actually looks very sexy without the top rim! dammit. Ah yeah, I managed to get it out in one piece without breaking anything else. Now I'm painting the rim white with krylon to see if it matches better with the stand and lamp. Hopefully it will not be as noticeable as before.

I knowww dammit! Haha

I have a plan. Will set it up with the rim. I have a 150g tank at my parents hpuse with a broken glass. When i have some spare time, will check for scratches, clean the glass very well and have them cut to match the same tank I have. It is made from 1/2" thick glass so it WILL be rimless. Why not now? Cause i dont have money or time to do it now. It may take a couple of months till I'm stable with my finances and stuff. Then is just a simple tank swap :)

Seano Hermano

The tank looks wonderful, Sammy. I see you've put a lot of work into this - from the welded stand - to the DIY lights with a fancy cover. :) It all looks great. :D

By the way, I love the white. I actually planned for a very similar stand with sliding doors for my 29g tank.

Archived