Cultivated Reef

Sammy's 40B Build

sammy113

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lamp is almost done. I wanted to build the stand today but I decided to finish with the lamp first

I drilled and tapped 6 screws to the heatsink which holds the acrylic cover in place. Also drilled 4 holes for the hanging kit to the sides. All I need to do now is put some plugs for ease of maintenance/removing lamp. I also want to paint the screws white

53d9c3ed.jpg

924468d7.jpg

05750417.jpg

Love how clean it looks :D

how high off the water surface are you gonna mount the light

don't know just yet, probably 8"~10" but need to see how's the spread

Ladies & Gentlemen, we have light B)

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

Check out the spot in the roof. It isn't actually a tight beam... My iphone just doesn't like LEDs

IMG_1023.jpg

Channel 1: 75% power (NW) Channel 2: 100% (RB)

IMG_1026.jpg

The brain behind the lamp. Behold, Typhon!

IMG_1028.jpg

Rabidgerbil38

So sweat! What type of dimming are you using? Digital or analog driver control?

I'm contemplating a digital PWM with the touchsheild for the arduino, but so far am just forking on adjustin the adruino PWM signal to work well with my meanwells.

So sweat! What type of dimming are you using? Digital or analog driver control?

I'm contemplating a digital PWM with the touchsheild for the arduino, but so far am just forking on adjustin the adruino PWM signal to work well with my meanwells.

Thanks, I'm using P model meanwells with Arduino controller

he's is just trying to make a new and revolutionary oil-less deep fryer!!!

LOL nice looking housing sammy, I will send you a few $ so you can make mine :P

Rabidgerbil38
Thanks, I'm using P model meanwells with Arduino controller

If you don't mind me asking eats the output voltage and amperage at 100% on your drivers? I can't seem to get anything worth while from my drivers until im at about 53-55 only arduino, are you experiencing the same?

I have mine set to 1000mA as they came from factory @1200mA. The meanwells don't dim down to 0%, they will cut off at 10% power so in Arduino you won't get light at all at low values. Don't know how low will it cut off cause Arduino uses 0-255 values but in my controller it deals with % from 0 to 100%. So it actually cuts at 10%

he's is just trying to make a new and revolutionary oil-less deep fryer!!!

LOL nice looking housing sammy, I will send you a few $ so you can make mine :P

lol no problem man, whenever you want ;)

Rabidgerbil38
I have mine set to 1000mA as they came from factory @1200mA. The meanwells don't dim down to 0%, they will cut off at 10% power so in Arduino you won't get light at all at low values. Don't know how low will it cut off cause Arduino uses 0-255 values but in my controller it deals with % from 0 to 100%. So it actually cuts 10%

Yea, I figured I would just get 55 to 255, so .5% increases is jot bad for me. I would have like to use my LED's as a moonlight as well, but I've begun to give this idea up untill I get a separate power source for the moonlight all together.

Yea, I figured I would just get 55 to 255, so .5% increases is jot bad for me. I would have like to use my LED's as a moonlight as well, but I've begun to give this idea up untill I get a separate power source for the moonlight all together.

True, for some reason when the controller turns off the lights there is a small leak apparently and a channel of blues remains veeery dimmed and could work as moonlight. Don't know why is this happening. Anyway I have two separate LEDs for moonlights with a 350mA driver but that is still too much. I wish I went with a dimmable buckpuck for moonlights

4 pages - no tank... And I couldn't stop reading!

Great job on the build!

Haha sorry about that. The tank is in my parent's house and I still haven't built the stand yet. I'm still thinking if using the actual off the shelf 40b or a DIY tank with the same dimensions. Just cause I prefer a rimless tank. I have a 150g tank that was given to me with a broken glass panel. I was considering tearing it apart and cut the glass to size to build the 40 gallon. The glass is 1/2" thick but need to check if is not scratched and if I can clean the stains it has

d'Espresso

Haha another episode of Sammy's adventures production! Loving the new fixture so far. Very talented! Someone should hire you for a business company or start your own someday!

Thanks ;) I hope to start something serious after I finish college. My degree and working with this kind of stuff actually blends very well. Have some big plans and dreams

How is that 2:1 ratio working for you?

I like my tanks to be more blue cause of color pop, but havent think on a 2:1 ratio before.

I am in the process of building 2 lamps like yours for a 90g , and i order some extra leds, was thinking on a 1:1 ratio but you got me thinking.

Archived