SaltCritters.com

Sammy's 40B Build

sammy113

Paleoreef103

I really want to know the coverage and par values of that fixture. I'm going to do a LED build for a 40 breeder as well and was debating between a 14X3 (2RB:1NW) arrangement of LEDs or a 7X6 (3RB:1CB:2NW) array of LEDs while driving them at 700 mA with 60 degree optics. It looks awesome by the way!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really want to know the coverage and par values of that fixture. I'm going to do a LED build for a 40 breeder as well and was debating between a 14X3 (2RB:1NW) arrangement of LEDs or a 7X6 (3RB:1CB:2NW) array of LEDs while driving them at 700 mA with 60 degree optics. It looks awesome by the way!

I will have that info soon. A friend who is building a 120g wants to see my new lamp to see if he jump to the LEDs side. Told him to bring the PAR meter or didn't bother to come. I would stay away from too much CB. I have just two in this mix and that seems to be enough. 14 x 3 sounds good to me. Just include some CB here and there but not too much

Looks like there's about to be a couple more 40br led builds :)

Yeah how cool! this is actually my second 40b I missed my last one so much :(

by the way, I'm quitting from biopellets in this system. My current tank has been running them for more than 6 months now and that's a huge fail. Its very hard to keep a decent amount of nutrients enough for corals to survive. Its taking away way too much. The only way to keep up is feeding twice a day and heavily. I don't have that time sometimes so I'm going back to just skimmer and carbon. Who knows maybe a fuge. Looking back at my old 40b pics my SPS looked so healthy and great polyp extension. That's something is not happening right now

Paleoreef103
I will have that info soon. A friend who is building a 120g wants to see my new lamp to see if he jump to the LEDs side. Told him to bring the PAR meter or didn't bother to come. I would stay away from too much CB. I have just two in this mix and that seems to be enough. 14 x 3 sounds good to me. Just include some CB here and there but not too much

Cool. Are the Blues hooked up as your Moonlights or are they mixed in? I was thinking about doing the 14X3 array with NW and RB and then getting the moonlight driver and running 3 CB without optics to supplement color if that's what you're doing. It could be that the 350 mA CBs just won't do much, but I'd like your opinion. I do also plan on running a pair of T5s for a purple plus bulb and a geissman aquablue for more 365 nm peaks (which is the highest UV output bulb I could find). The T5s by themselves probably will look like crap, but I think they'll do wonderfully to hit some color peaks.

The two moonlights are RB. The CB's are in the first and last cluster mixed with the rest. No need to turn them lower than the rest though. I'd like RB for moonlights as CW will look kinda like windex. If you will add two T5's i think 42 LEDs is overkill. You can alway dim but you can save a buck by going with fewer LEDs and maybe having them a little higher in output

Nice new avatar sammy :D. I saw the fixture you posted on jruberti's thread that AI POACHED from you. That is brilliantly simple looking.

schgr.cube

Sammy I didn't feel like reading this because I'm surfing NR in between coats of the thing I'm making for Alisons birthday (tomorrow!), but I wanted to say a few things.

1. First of all, this looks awesome so far. I really hope you go with a custom rimless, I can't imagine you having a standard AGA tank.

B. Second, you're insane for sketchuping your whole apartment, you're too talented lol.

III. Third, this looks awesome.

4. Fourth, not sure how interested you were in the route you were going with your MBP, but if you decide to deviate from that path LMK about the discount. I've got plenty of them available for the year.

Thanks Sam, I don't really feel like to have a AGA but the prices is just ridiculous compared to build my own. I'm going to check tomorrow if I can get a better price on the glass. If I could sell the current setup and transfer everything to a temporary tank while I build the new one.

I had to do an as built from my apartment for a class so why not toss in the tank? :P

about the MBP, I really want to those upgrades but that can wait a little as I'm not in a rush for that. I'll let you know my final decision :) thanks

Say Happy Birthday to Alison from me an Ale :D have fun

Rabidgerbil38
On 5/5/2011 at 5:08 PM, sammy113 said:

:)

b8b6db3f.jpg

Very nice, did you find an end mill to take care of the heatsink? You mind showing the drawings for the pucks in relation to the heatsink?

Paleoreef103

That looks awesome. Any worries about mounting a splash guard real close to the LEDs?

bensanders said:
Wow Sammy, that really does look awesome. Can you provide some more details on the acrylic?

Thanks, I used 1/4" white acrylic for the piece with the holes and under that (between heatsink and 1/4" acrylic) I have 3/8" thick acrylic to work as a spacer. Basically I made a frame that surrounds the LEDs and holds the 1/4" thick acrylic cover. All that is glued and will be screwed to the heatsink in case I need to acces for any replacement or something. More pics of the guts and cover coming soon...

Rabidgerbil38 said:
Very nice, did you find an end mill to take care of the heatsink? You mind showing the drawings for the pucks in relation to the heatsink?

I didn't even look for the mill. I just came with a new idea for the hanging kit. Basically, the acrylic cover is slightly larger than the heatsink (1/2" larger) to be exact. Cause I have an acrylic sandwich which is 5/8" thick is strong enough to drill and attach the hanging kit to both ends. Don't know if that makes sense. Will finish with the acrylic cover tomorrow cause is late. Need to rout some pieces and my neighbors will start to complain :angry:-_-

I don't have a dimensioned drawing but hope this helps:

Screenshot2011-05-05at104655PM.png

That looks awesome. Any worries about mounting a splash guard real close to the LEDs?

I ditched the idea of a clear splash guard. It was going to be like 1/8" close to the acrylic and I know LEDs can easily burn or craze the acrylic. So I'm just going with the white acrylic and open holes

some more pichers

The guts. Tried to organize as better as I could even though it will be covered

1840875f.jpg

Found some 4 conductors 18awg shielded wire :D There are just two of this coming out of the fixture. One of them handles two Blue channels, the other the white channel and the moonlights :)

cc6d2a0d.jpg

Here's the acrylic housing from the other side

cd21c089.jpg

Enough for today, time for a beer :P

e59daa71.jpg

Men just need one tool: a router ;>.

Sam, do you know sketchup's "photo match"? No? Have a look:

Might help getting an idea of how the new tank migth integerate into the living room.

Cheers,

Nikolas

A router and a dremel :lol:

I have seen that photo match tool but to me it isn't accurate cause you are drawing over a picture so you don't have any sense of scale or dimensions. Also, you have to work in the same perspective or angle as the picture taken or otherwise it wont work well. I mean, it is a good tool to use for a quick view of a project. Faster and easier than rendering a model. I've never tried it though... will try it for first time with the tank in place to see how I'm at it :) thanks for the link

bensanders

We need pictures of this thing over the tank! Are you worried about spotlighting/shadows with your LEDs set up in clusters like that? Kind of a stupid question since the AI units do the same thing but, I'm just wondering what your opinion is.

Archived