Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ryan's 40b - break down 4/1

ry05coupe

Quich update. Removed the sixline because it became a jerk way too fast. Caught it with a bottle trap and it only took 5 minutes!

Added two Pearly Jawfish and a Target Mandarin. Mandarin ate live and frozen brine shrimp today (first day in the tank)!

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are pics comin?? :huh:

When I get time to take some, maybe tonight.

Fed the Mandarin 100% frozen brine today. Took a minute for it to start eating this time but once it did it chowed down on about 8 pieces. I will keep this up for the next few days then try to switch it over to mysis.

I missed it, what was the point of the air injection? I bet you have to clean your lights off a lot from all those micro-bubbles hitting the surface.

I missed it, what was the point of the air injection? I bet you have to clean your lights off a lot from all those micro-bubbles hitting the surface.

It's supposed to help waste transport and also make the SPS slime up, supposidly increasing their hardiness. There is a lot of info in those links I posted.

New Mandarin: Now eating only frozen brine. Also took a few pieces of mysis today.

P8080001.jpg

Damn it, seeing that picture made me want the effing target now haha... If my psychedelic doesn't make out I am definitely going with one of them.

Damn it, seeing that picture made me want the effing target now haha... If my psychedelic doesn't make out I am definitely going with one of them.

Lmao he is pretty cool. Hopefully yours will make it though, I thought the same thing about it when I got home yesterday lol.

You think mine is a male? It's fin has a little spike on it that I didn't see yesterday.

I have two questions.

I plan on redoing my 40g BR almost exactly like yours (BRS or Marco rock with two island aquascape, and Glass Holes 700GPH overflow)

1.) Was the rock completely dry and new when you added it? If so, how long of a cycle did you have?

2.) I plan on getting the 700GPH overflow or the Super Nano con Dientes Overflow Kit that was recommended by a friend who is already using the 700GPH and doesn't like it. What size return pump do you have and is the overflow noisy? I have a very large overflow with virtually no sound so I want to know what to prepare for.

I have two questions.

I plan on redoing my 40g BR almost exactly like yours (BRS or Marco rock with two island aquascape, and Glass Holes 700GPH overflow)

1.) Was the rock completely dry and new when you added it? If so, how long of a cycle did you have?

2.) I plan on getting the 700GPH overflow or the Super Nano con Dientes Overflow Kit that was recommended by a friend who is already using the 700GPH and doesn't like it. What size return pump do you have and is the overflow noisy? I have a very large overflow with virtually no sound so I want to know what to prepare for.

Hey, thanks for stopping by.

1) Yes, the marco rock was completely dry when I got it. I already had other live rock that had been in my previous tank which I just combined with the marco rock. If you are starting fresh and have no LR right now I would definitely buy atleast a few pounds to seed the new rock. Without that the cycle would take a pretty long time IMO. I didn't see a cycle after adding 25lbs of this to th erest of my rock (about 15lbs).

2. The 700GPH kit seems to be hit or miss. My friend is using the same kit with a 250gph pump and it is quiet as can be. I was using mine with a 220gph pump and it was pretty damn noisy, now I am using it with a 500gph pump and it has become a little quieter, but still noticeable from across a quiet room. I think one big thing that helps these overflows (that I'm not using) is flex tubing to take the water down to the sump instead of rigid PVC.

My pump is the Maxi-Jet 1100 and it seems to be paired well with the 700 GPH kit. I think minimizing bends is the key.

And I also did the dry rock thing, I had a piece of live rock from an established tank. I never saw any cycle.... Just rinse it well, the stuff is rather dusty. If I had to order more dry rock I think I would do the BRS dry rock, looks pretty good to me.

I already have about 50lbs of populated LR that I will seed to the new rock. I just have read that not cycling the rock before adding it has caused big problems. Hopefully this won't be my case. I will have another tank set up with al inhabitants so the tank can go through at least a month long cycle.

As far as the overflow goes, I have a horrible petpieve of looking at microbubbles. The sump will be a 20g L with a refugium in the center. I'd prefer the water to pass through slow so all microbubbles can disipate through the baffles and refugium. What would be a good recommendation for return pumps as far as quietness, heat dispence, and working with a 700gph overflow?

Thanks for all the input.

I already have about 50lbs of populated LR that I will seed to the new rock. I just have read that not cycling the rock before adding it has caused big problems. Hopefully this won't be my case. I will have another tank set up with al inhabitants so the tank can go through at least a month long cycle.

As far as the overflow goes, I have a horrible petpieve of looking at microbubbles. The sump will be a 20g L with a refugium in the center. I'd prefer the water to pass through slow so all microbubbles can disipate through the baffles and refugium. What would be a good recommendation for return pumps as far as quietness, heat dispence, and working with a 700gph overflow?

Thanks for all the input.

like coastie was saying, the Maxi Jet 1100 utility pump seems to be a pretty good fit with the gh 700gph overflow. It pushes around 250gph aswell so you will have a nice low ammount of flow through your 20l sump. coastie also has the 20l sump and they work well together.

In my experience i didnt see a cycle at all when addng 25lbs of marco rock to my tank... Other people may have had different results but for me it was a non issue. Just keep an eye on the tankand its inhabitants and they will let you know whats going on. shouldnt be anything to worrk about though.

So the Mandarin is now eating frozen mysis really well. Before (yesterday, lol) it would only pick out the bigger moving pieces and ignore the rest. Now it goes after every little sliver of mysis that I feed it until there is nothing left in the box.

Anyway, I let it roam the tank over night and today then tried to feed it while it was free roaming. It didn't want anything to do with the food on two different occasions. I picked him up and put him in the breeder and he was chowing down on about 10 pieces of mysis after 5 mins. Anyone know what would stop him from wanting to eat when not in the breeder?

maybe he was hunting for pods, or he wasnt too hungry at the time. and when he was in the breeder with nothing but food around him, he decided to eat

Could be lol. Can't really complain lol, atleast he is eating any seems very acting. I got very lucky with this one.

Not too much to report. Handed in my two weeks at [big pet store chain] today after three years because of the poor level of care that was becoming acceptable for the animals. This tank will probably be put on autopilot for a while unless I trade for stuff.

The flow may be the issue with the mandarin eating. I have heard of people making feeding stations for them before.

nice tank :^D

Thanks a lot!

The flow may be the issue with the mandarin eating. I have heard of people making feeding stations for them before.

I'm working on that. One problem I have sthe cleaner shrimp. He swoops in as soon as the food laves the turkey baster and wont piss off until he has eaten all of it.

Probably the same, got this one at petsmart. I am using one of those regular plastic breeders for feeding time now. The net ones also work pretty well though

Should have said AMAZZZZING Green Montipora Cap!

B) it is pretty damn green.

Not much to report. Acros are starting to encrust pretty well so atleast I know they are growing. One has turned a burnt orange color with blue tips too which is nice!

Got the Mandarin to eat today without putting it in the breeder aswell, although it till seems like it knows when it is put in the breeder box it's time for food and eats like a crazy person. It is taking anything I give it noq other than pellets.

Archived