Coral Vue Hydros

potentially embarassing question!

tharsis

I would have to say that I've had my fair share of stings from my frogspawn over the last 3 years. It generally doesn't bother my hands, but the inside of my forearm burned pretty bad a few times after brushing against it.

I've handled and fragged zoas, lps, and sps without any problems.

The one evil creature you should avoid touching are the bristleworms or fireworms. They don't call them fireworms for nothing. Everytime I accidently touch one of those little guys my fingers swell up. I just took down my 24 gallon AP two weekends ago and transferred a bunch of live rocks and all of the coral to my new 45 gallon. I was wearing one of those Tunze coral gloves, which are crap. Better off using ziplock bags or toilet paper because those things tear easily. Anyways, a bristleworm got me right through the glove and in my right index finger. Damn finger doubled in size and I was going to go to the doctor to have it checked out because it's the worst sting I've had from one of those guys. I could finally move my finger without it aching today.

Doesn't hurt to be safe with corals. I've read about palytoxin and zoas, but haven't really heard of anyone dying from them. Could wear surgical gloves and goggles, but I've been squirted in the eye from a Sunny D during fragging. I'm already blind without my glasses or contacts, so I didn't notice any difference:)

The problem with the palytoxin debate is that it causes a lot of stress to reefers who read it and can cause a false-positive reaction from a tank without palytoxin of which they just happen to get better on their own the next day. I do believe there has been a tank on here who had paly's that contained some form of toxin and it pretty much destroyed his LPS every time he fragged chunks of paly's off his rock. Yes I do believe palytoxin is a possible threat to us reefers, but for almost everybody you are more likely to be affected by something else in your tank over palytoxins. /rant

Just makes sure your hands/arms are clean before sticking them in the water and messing around with your tank and remember if you touch it three or more times you're just playing with it.

bamboosharkbark

Palytoxins can indeed kill you and I would advise anyone handling Zoanthids and any other corals, to wear protective gear such as long gloves and even safety glasses when handling them and especially during fragging. I've read about some nasty accounts on various forums so exercise caution and have respect for these creatures. Don't leave water that was exposed to the creatures lying around for your pets to sample, especially after fragging. Watch your children! If a toddler were to pop a fragged Zoa into his mouth that could be disastrous. It takes much less toxins to harm children than adults and allergic reactions to these Palytoxins are unforeseeable.

Be carefull and methodical, wash hands and don't rub your mucus membranes if you've touched them (no picking your nose! :eek: ).

There is definitely the risk of paying a very high price for neglecting personal safety here gentlemen.

Archived