inTank Media Baskets

Arca Aquae

lakshwadeep

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
lakshwadeep

I'll get pics after cleaning the glass, but I just wanted to give a quick update. Unfortunately, my home a/c has been struggling with keeping low temps. Oklahoma City has had many days of 110+ degree weather, and that has meant the corals have bleached, with the birdsnest all but dead. The montipora is hanging on; it's a little weird to see a white coral with decent polyp extension. Even the fungia is a little stressed, but it will survive. My main concern is that halimeda has popped up everywhere, potentially also stressing the hard corals.

All the fish (three Eviota pellucida and one E. nigriventris) are doing fine. I am happy to see them survive for over a year since Eviotas have some of the shortest lifespans of all fish. I'm going to graduate school in Utah, so I've left my tank to my parents until I decide how to start up again.

• 5 months later...

So, my dad has been taking care of the tank, and luckily the gobies are fine, which is surprising since they will be 2 years old this May. And, luckily they have never jumped, even the ones that disappeared/died, which has been my luck with many other fish. I came home for Christmas break, and unfortunately most of the corals (except the plate) are not doing so well, probably because there were few water changes. Another issue is that the Caulerpa have expanded. I've shown my dad how to trim them, but the tank was not worth taking a picture before I left.

Back here in Salt Lake, the reefkeeping bug has bit me again, and I visited an awesome store, Live Rock n Reef, which has a Florida aquaculture facility. I was excited to see some of their uncured rock had fairly large brain corals (~3-4"), so I'm definitely going back there when they get a new shipment. I decided to just buy some water, since I prefer getting another ADA tank. Now I'm thinking about light fixtures (LEDs seem intriguing, but there are a lot of options) and stocking. I want this to be a KISS tank because I am often in the lab/class for much of the day (it's always dark when I get home :( ). Hopefully fresh rock will help.

Hmmm no filtration?

Of course not! Actually, I have an AC110 and Tunze skimmer, but I never kept them long. For me, live rock and sand is enough.

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

You're getting another ada tank?? What size?

60p on adgshop raised from $130 to 190....lol

But adana-usa still has it for $130 :)

I think I will get the 18" cube ada for my next tank...

I was going to get an elos mini....but I realized ada still tops elos glass quality by alot ahah.

How often did you do water change on this tank with no filtration?

I like the 60-F, but I'm in a studio apt. so I really need something smaller.

I bought from adana last time. They were actually slightly cheaper back then (when adding shipping). I really like shallow tanks, which will also fit well in my apartment.

Water changes were ideally once a week, but often every 2 weeks or longer (I always did 5 gallons, which is roughly 28%).

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

I like the 60-F, but I'm in a studio apt. so I really need something smaller.

I bought from adana last time. They were actually slightly cheaper back then (when adding shipping). I really like shallow tanks, which will also fit well in my apartment.

Water changes were ideally once a week, but often every 2 weeks or longer (I always did 5 gallons, which is roughly 28%).

I see. How much cheaper were they back then??

I know it's like $130 plus $30-40 shipping right now haha. Definitely, it provides cheaper rates than adgshop though.

Well, if you're looking for a shallow one that's smaller than the 60f, 45f is the way to go.

Hmmm, maybe I should try no filtration on my next ada....ahhaha. I did thought about it recently before seeing this thread ha.

A mp10 would help circulate the tank.

Deleted User 4

My 60P was $120 plus ~$46 shipping. I like the 45-F, but I'm worried it's too shallow for safely keeping fish.

I see. Sooo 60f then?

I don't like the too shallow tanks mainly because it would require more spread of multiple lighting fixtures.....

I think I under-sold my 60p..... I sold it for $30 lol

Lol, must've been pretty beat up?

I see. Sooo 60f then?

I don't like the too shallow tanks mainly because it would require more spread of multiple lighting fixtures.....

Most likely. I've thought about something like calvin415's very long/narrow tank.

Archived