Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Paneubert's 15G Macro/Molly/Mantis Tank

paneubert

Some shrimp are really really really sensitive to salt differences.Thats the only thing i can think of.It Uasually happens after adding them.Id say instantly.......... within a few minutes.......... and hours.

they're not true shrimp, as he said they're supposed to be incredibly hardy. i'd be inclined to agree with you that there's an underlying issue going on in there. those things can survive a cycling tank most times, so thats a little weird. sucks, either way i still like this whole set up a lot. really interested in keeping salty mollies.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
paradox_of_reef

I know how it feels to lose a mantis just after getting him. i once got a four inch peacock and she died the next day after i got her in my tank. it's very disheartening to something like that happen.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. It is a bummer. But I will give it another try after some time off. The tank can definitely use some time to mature a bit. My main goal was a nice macro tank. So I will focus on that and then see where it takes me.

What is new with the macro side of things you may ask? Or maybe that is just me asking myself ;)

All the current macro is looking pretty good.

• The grape Caulerpa is sprouting out some shoots off the tips of the existing "grapes".
  • The fern Caulerpa is looking pretty sad....it seems like it might be dying since it is losing color pretty fast. I hope it comes back from the dead.
  • The Red Gracilaria seems like it is growing, but it is tough to tell since it is so random and spikey. The overall volume of it seems to be increasing though.
  • The Chaeto seems to have maintained size but now grown. I have it shoved between the mangrove roots close to the surface of the water. So it has plenty of light if it wants to grow.
  • The mangroves are.......iffy..... A lot of them seem like they are shriveling up. A couple seem like they have some mold growing on the submerged parts. But I am going to leave them and see what happens. I have been spraying them with water every day since I know they need to shed the salt that builds up on them. Not sure if that is only after they sprout leaves, but I am doing it now just in case.

Just to experiment with the copper theory, I now have added a couple Nerites to see how they will react to the tank. I already had some Dwarf Ceriths and Nassarius in there from the beginning and they are all happy......so I am doubting the tank is leaching some sort of invertebrate killing stuff like copper. But maybe the Nerites will tell a different story....

Guess the baby mollies are going to have some time to grow up ;) Maybe this will just become a macro and molly tank. If I go that route then I think I will actually do guppies since they look better and stay a little smaller.

Builder Anthony

Ya just get everything stable then add a new one.You will know when things are all balanced out when your trimming everything.Itll give you something to do.It is important to do the finger test to see if he trusts you on the next one you get.The true test of mantis freindship.

Good luck.:)

• 5 months later...

I never figured it out. The tank actually got taken down.... :(

I let it get all nice and green and full of macro for a few months. Had some mollies in there for quite a while growing as well. But then I got discouraged and wanted to start over. I have not set it back up again yet. But when I do I will do the same basic concept and get another mantis! Stay tuned!

Archived