Cultivated Reef

29 gallons of awesome

altolamprologus

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
It's gone again! :angryface:

There must be something wrong with your computer then, because it shows up on mine...

Back to reef-related things...I got a gorgonian :D

altolamprologus
what kind? is it photosynthic?

I don't know the species, but based on comments from people I trust (such as yoshii) I'm almost entirely sure it's non-photosynthetic.

I demand pictures of the purple fuzzy/fluffy stick

I tried to get a few pics but the camera is incredibly inadequate and trying to get good pics is like trying to get a quadrapalegic to do a handstand. It's just not gonna happen...

i want a fuzzy stick but i am afraid to try...

That's what she said.... :naughtydance:

You should get one. They're awesome :)

altolamprologus
something you would say because i bet you like fuzzy sticks...at least i hope you do.

I hope we're still talking about gorgonians...

I don't know the species, but based on comments from people I trust (such as yoshii) I'm almost entirely sure it's non-photosynthetic.

I tried to get a few pics but the camera is incredibly inadequate and trying to get good pics is like trying to get a quadrapalegic to do a handstand. It's just not gonna happen...

Yeah it doesn't respond well to bright light

I may be either (Guaiagorgia sp.) or (Muriceopsis flavida) or something else, not sure

I might be able to bring over my good camera soon :D

altolamprologus

A couple crappy pics...

In the bag

IMG_1270.jpg

In the light so you can you can kind of see the color. It's a really deep purple.

IMG_1275.jpg

Taken just now with flash so you can see the fluffiness.

IMG_1297.jpg

altolamprologus
if get a photosynthic gorg, how often would it need food?

From what I have read, everyday is best but you can get away with less.

hmmm...i could more research on gorgs, but i am seriously afraid of it dying. i'll see how your's does first.

altolamprologus
DSC05750.jpg

Here's a pic of mine, not super great but it shows the polyps

We both have pieces that came off the same gorg

Whoa that pic is awesome.

So my gorg is being weird. It only comes out at night now. It doesn't even come out when I feed the corals in the evening.

altolamprologus

Got 2 new zoas today. "Purple hearts" basically purple with a green rim and these other ones that are purpl and while in the center with a red rim. I would post pics but my lights are now on actinics and my camera refuses to take pics under blue light, so I'll post them next time I'm on.

• 2 weeks later...
altolamprologus
Found some IDs for your zoas :)

http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module...p;g2_itemId=100

I think the new ones you got are either Lunar Eclipses/EZs/something similar

Yep those are definitely it!! Thanks for the ID; I searched when I first got them but could never find anything.

Update on the tank:

• No pics of the new zoas. The color isn't the best under my lights and the camera just can't handle that complicated of a task.
  • The gorgonian is doing ok. I moved it into a lighted area because it gets more flow but it's on the bottom of the tank so the lighting isn't too strong. It extends it's polyps intermittenly, but it does come out when I feed the corals so I assume it's getting food.
  • I decided to try to raise some baby cleaner shrimp. I'm almost certain I will fail, but I'm doing it anyway. They hatched monday so if they make it past a week I will begin posting updates.

Archived