Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 gallons of awesome

altolamprologus

Honestly, I doubt he's going to make it. One way is in a bow of water in the freezer. Slows they're movment until they're asleep.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i don't even get why wild-caught fish never live for me. my tank params are perfect, i even got them checked at Neptune. and the clown has been healthy and thriving from day one and i've had him for almost 2 months now, but other fish die almost immediately. its extremely frustrating

the only form of euthanization i have is the toilet, which isn't all that humane. and i have had fish (not SW though) that have come back from the brink of death on their own so i'm hesitant about killing him

Sorry, I don't have an answer :( Could be stress, could be some other factor or something in the water that's not testable?

Did you turn off the lights after introducing it to the tank?

altolamprologus

but i want him to live... :tears:

Sorry, I don't have an answer :( Could be stress, could be some other factor or something in the water that's not testable?

Did you turn off the lights after introducing it to the tank?

i was thinking it could be something in the water, but everything else is fine. maybe he's extra sensitive because of the extra stress?

and i wasn't aware the lights needed to be turned off

i was thinking it could be something in the water, but everything else is fine. maybe he's extra sensitive because of the extra stress?

and i wasn't aware the lights needed to be turned off

Maybe. If a firefish lives the first week in your tank, it'll probably live forever :lol: I think that first week (or2) they are the most vulnerable to disease, stress, etc

It just helps with stress a bit, especially if you have other potentially aggressive fish in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
altolamprologus

This is a really late update, but i got some new stuff the last couple weeks.

nuclear greens (thanks yoshii)

IMG_1098.jpg

some type of mushroom...

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

purple/teal mushrooms

IMG_1076.jpg

stomatella snail (i didn't buy this, they came on live rock awhile ago) my brother calls them abalone. I wish!!

IMG_1079.jpg

I got some new zoas, but they had zoa nudis so they're in quarantine right now. I'll post pics when i put them in the tank.

They're actually pretty cute; I felt bad rinsing them down the sink...

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

I also got a green monticap but the camera doesn't pick up the green of the polyps so pics don't look good.

Yes yoshii, I know the pics still suck. They look a lot better on the tiny screen on the camera.

altolamprologus

Sadly, no. He died pretty quickly after I posted that. It's funny, I seem to only be able to keep corals and other inverts alive, which is the opposite of everyone else.

Yes yoshii, I know the pics still suck. They look a lot better on the tiny screen on the camera.

Awww you said it before I could even start typing :P

I need to sneak over with my camera so you can have good pics in this thread :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
altolamprologus
Hi alto! I forgot about you! But now I remember.

Oh HI!! Glad to see I was forgotten... <_<

no more pics?

and don't feel bad, i forget everything. i also forgot about AM. and his tank thread.

altolamprologus

No more pics because nothing is new. I'm really slow about making decisions to buy things. :lol: I might get a flame scallop and a duncan next weekend. I'm also thinking about a green clown goby, but I read they sometimes pick at sps polyps and I don't want them doing any damage.

No more pics because nothing is new. I'm really slow about making decisions to buy things. :lol: I might get a flame scallop and a duncan next weekend. I'm also thinking about a green clown goby, but I read they sometimes pick at sps polyps and I don't want them doing any damage.

Oh, this reminds me. STALKS! you're wrong again :)

589d898d0fde__1306780340000.jpg

As pretty as they are, and I know you're willing to feed it, I think your tank is too "clean" for one lol

Get the duncan though!

altolamprologus
Oh, this reminds me. STALKS! you're wrong again :)

589d898d0fde__1306780340000.jpg

As pretty as they are, and I know you're willing to feed it, I think your tank is too "clean" for one lol

Get the duncan though!

I REFUSE TO BE WRONG!!! AND I REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE ANY SIMILARITY BETWEEN THE TWO XENIAS!!!

As for the scallop, I don't think I've ever been told clean water is a bad thing omgomgomg What is this world coming to?

I REFUSE TO BE WRONG!!! AND I REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE ANY SIMILARITY BETWEEN THE TWO XENIAS!!!

As for the scallop, I don't think I've ever been told clean water is a bad thing omgomgomg What is this world coming to?

DENIAL

Lol well they need lots of fine food which include bacteria, plankton, etc, although examined guts of flame scallops in the wild were found to have phyto 4-45 microns.Phyto Feast is 1-15 microns and Oyster Feast is 1-200 microns

altolamprologus
DENIAL

Lol well they need lots of fine food which include bacteria, plankton, etc, although examined guts of flame scallops in the wild were found to have phyto 4-45 microns.Phyto Feast is 1-15 microns and Oyster Feast is 1-200 microns

so phyto+oyster=perfect :lol:

I also read about a test with similar clams that had the same diet and in the presence of phytoplankton, they willingly ingested other foods of larger particulate sizes, such as invert larvae and other zooplankton. They didn't test flame scallops, but they may eat in a similar way. Anyway, I think it would be cool to try and see if I can keep it alive when everyone says I can't. I'm thinking target feeding phyto twice per day in addition to my daily coral feeding would be sufficient. Do you know anyone who has actually had one?

so phyto+oyster=perfect :lol:

I also read about a test with similar clams that had the same diet and in the presence of phytoplankton, they willingly ingested other foods of larger particulate sizes, such as invert larvae and other zooplankton. They didn't test flame scallops, but they may eat in a similar way. Anyway, I think it would be cool to try and see if I can keep it alive when everyone says I can't. I'm thinking target feeding phyto twice per day in addition to my daily coral feeding would be sufficient. Do you know anyone who has actually had one?

I think the phyto might tend to be too small while oyster feast might tend to be too big

I've really been searching for success stories, I really only found 1 guy who said he had kept 3-4 flames for 2 years, and that he turned over a rock and found 50 baby flame scallops, but he had no pictures of either the adults or babies. :/ I think he said he "heavily fed" the large tank multiple times a day, and had a large fuge connected with the sump and display.

One thing with flame scallops is that they don't really like strong lighting, and tend to go hide in a crevice where you may not be able to reach them to target feed. :(

altolamprologus
I think the phyto might tend to be too small while oyster feast might tend to be too big

I've really been searching for success stories, I really only found 1 guy who said he had kept 3-4 flames for 2 years, and that he turned over a rock and found 50 baby flame scallops, but he had no pictures of either the adults or babies. :/ I think he said he "heavily fed" the large tank multiple times a day, and had a large fuge connected with the sump and display.

One thing with flame scallops is that they don't really like strong lighting, and tend to go hide in a crevice where you may not be able to reach them to target feed. :(

It seems every person that posts something about flame scallops (which I found out are actually clams...*weird*) has had bad experiences with them, but then again most people buy on impulse and don't spend hours researching the needs of their pet. As for them not liking light, I have a crevice inside that cave thingy where he would be in the shade but would still be visible and accessible for feeding. I figure he's just gonna die at the store anyway, so why not give it a shot? But maybe I'm just being stupid and stubborn...

It seems every person that posts something about flame scallops (which I found out are actually clams...*weird*) has had bad experiences with them, but then again most people buy on impulse and don't spend hours researching the needs of their pet. As for them not liking light, I have a crevice inside that cave thingy where he would be in the shade but would still be visible and accessible for feeding. I figure he's just gonna die at the store anyway, so why not give it a shot? But maybe I'm just being stupid and stubborn...

Well even just to give it a better chance of survival, I think you should add a fuge, and add more nutrients/food to the system, but your corals may not like that

altolamprologus
Well even just to give it a better chance of survival, I think you should add a fuge, and add more nutrients/food to the system, but your corals may not like that

I have no room to do an external fuge (except if I remove the couch...) and I want to get one of those IN-tank fuge basket thingys but my mom would never pay that much for a piece of plastic. I could get another guppy breeder trap to put in there. Adding nutrients as in adding another fish? HECK YES!!!!! I feed about a tablespoon of filter-feeder food and leave the pump off for about an hour every day to let all the food get eaten, so I could just start doing that twice per day. Would that work?

And if anyone else has an opinion, PLEASE post it. Just make sure it's not a stupid opinion...

THEN MOVE THE COUCH or take down part of that wall :P

Not sure, but I think you would need more..

Try searching for flame scallop threads, see what people say

altolamprologus

first time a mini brittle has been out in months

IMG_1143.jpg

GSP munching on oyster feast and rotifers

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

shrimp with 2 day old eggs

IMG_1137.jpg

shrimp with eggs 12 hours before hatching

IMG_1134.jpg

FTS

IMG_1142.jpg

altolamprologus
Looking good! I still can't believe how much that leather has grown!!!

GSP is growing good too :)

I swear that leather is trying to slowly take over the tank. It has at least quadrupled in size since i got it

Archived