Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 gallons of awesome

altolamprologus

altolamprologus

I don't see a spot, but mandarins have thick slime coats so stuff gets stuck to them pretty often. It also pretty much prevents ich from burrowing under their skin so I wouldn't worry about it.

edit:Now I see it. Yeah it looks like it's just detritus or sand

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to send you some hearts: I <3 Alto.

Not to weird you out or anything. :rolleyes:

YES! the white shmutz is indeed 'moving'. The one on the fin isn't there but now he has one above his head. I had a chance to see a close up and it was floating a hair above his body so yes it's most likely OVA or sand stuck to him. Whew.

How susceptible are they to other diseases like intestinal worms or fin rot?

altolamprologus
I need to send you some hearts: I <3 Alto.

Not to weird you out or anything. :rolleyes:

YES! the white shmutz is indeed 'moving'. The one on the fin isn't there but now he has one above his head. I had a chance to see a close up and it was floating a hair above his body so yes it's most likely OVA or sand stuck to him. Whew.

How susceptible are they to other diseases like intestinal worms or fin rot?

I'm not weirded out at all. In fact, I <3 Alto too.

IMO they are just as susceptible to intestinal parasites as any other fish and somewhere around 30-40% of collected fish will have some type of parasite (I actually think my male has a parasitic worm) but they are more susceptible to bacterial infections such as fin rot. I say that because my female mandarin was the only fish in the tank to get fin rot and it makes sense since they are constantly dragging their fins over the rocks and are therefore more likely to cut themselves and allow entry for bacteria.

altolamprologus

I found my favorite lady! And man, do I have a story to tell.

So my phosphate is a bit higher than I like so I decided to change my GFO. I pulled out my mediabasket and BAM! Mandarin! She was sitting on the bottom shelf! I have a fish saver, but it has a small gap on one side. My guess is somebody got a bit too frisky during spawning and jumped. I didn't get a good look at her, but she seemed to be healthy. I'll post an update tomorrow when the lights come on. You have no idea how happy I am now. I literally can't stop smiling :)

The little spot she was in was probably had pods to feast on. I'm glad you found her.

I can't stop staring at Draco, and he mostly stuck to the back of the tank yesterday.

Reefcleaners pods came, I dumped one bag into the tank. So hope he got some, I see him actively pecking at the rocks all day long so that's always encouraging. He doesn't care for mysis right now, I'm really hoping to have some live brine to feed him Monday.

altolamprologus
The little spot she was in was probably had pods to feast on. I'm glad you found her.

I can't stop staring at Draco, and he mostly stuck to the back of the tank yesterday.

Reefcleaners pods came, I dumped one bag into the tank. So hope he got some, I see him actively pecking at the rocks all day long so that's always encouraging. He doesn't care for mysis right now, I'm really hoping to have some live brine to feed him Monday.

There are pods back there, but probably not very many within the 2.5 inch square she was trapped in. I got a good look at her today and she is pretty skinny. Her ribs aren't showing, but her belly is a bit sunken in and she's about half the width she used to be. I'm gonna go pillage my pod cultures soon to make sure she gets as many pods as she wants.

It took awhile for my mandarins to take to mysis so it's normal Draco isn't interested. He'll definitely go for live brine though

Yay mandarins

:D

altolamprologus
Wow, how long was she there?

"She's definitely a goner"

:P

YAY :D

About a week and a half, possibly 2 weeks. I had looked in the other two back chambers but didn't think it was possible for her to get all the way down into the media basket

Glad you found your girl! Amazing what trouble women...errr fish can get into. I grew up in Fremont and went to Ohlone for a few years in the late 90's. I never knew they were called the Indians. :haha:

altolamprologus
Glad you found your girl! Amazing what trouble women...errr fish can get into. I grew up in Fremont and went to Ohlone for a few years in the late 90's. I never knew they were called the Indians. :haha:

Women are trouble but everyone knows we're worth it :P

Actually I found out yesterday we're the Renegades...not sure why I thought we're the Indians

altolamprologus
Berkshire Renegades?

Edit that no, that's in the UK

Ahh they're Ohlone Renegades.

Yeah lol

YFA! IHTYFYM! :D

Pics or you didn't find her. ;)

Buy me a camera and I'll be more than happy to take some pics ;)

I'll just kidnap yoshii and make sure she brings her camera

Kidnapping is illegal! :o

Try an alternative... Maybe you could like take a picture with your toaster. A lot of people on YouTube film stuff with toasters. The quality is pretty crappy though. :unsure:

altolamprologus
Kidnapping is illegal! :o

Try an alternative... Maybe you could like take a picture with your toaster. A lot of people on YouTube film stuff with toasters. The quality is pretty crappy though. :unsure:

Doesn't bother me. I do plenty of illegal things...like jaywalking!

My toaster would probably take better pics than my phone camera, but the power cord is awfully short so I don't think it would reach.

Actually I found out yesterday we're the Renegades...not sure why I thought we're the Indians

Lol I would have thought it was the Indians or something like that too, there's feathers on the symbol! And Ohlone is an Indian tribe!

How about instead of stealing my camera you just ask me to come over with my camera? :)

altolamprologus
How about instead of stealing my camera you just ask me to come over with my camera? :)

That's too practical

That's too practical

Well then.

If you kidnap me when I escape I'm taking all your coral and mandys with me!

Btw, I just remembered, I'm bringing the light timer and paper towels today! :D

altolamprologus
Well then.

If you kidnap me when I escape I'm taking all your coral and mandys with me!

Btw, I just remembered, I'm bringing the light timer and paper towels today! :D

I think I'd rather keep my stuff for myself. You should come over during spring break.

Yay paper towels!

So how's your sympodium doing? I was thinking of getting some to fill in a couple spots.

Archived