Pod Your Reef

My 5g Ecoxotic "EcoPico" New Pics/Question!

malibukay

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dinoflagellates?

Dinoflagellates-13.jpg

alfie might be on to something there....can you get any better shots of the fuzz malibu?

alfie might be on to something there....can you get any better shots of the fuzz malibu?

The bubbles in the fuzz are what got me on that train of thought. Update pics coming soon alaskan, don't kick me from the club! Have been super busy with work.

It dosnt seem like that either, it dosnt clump and isn't brown, I'll try another pic or 2 I'll post them soon, I just woke up haha

Hey! Chalice looks good, it will just need a few weeks to acclimate and will flesh out a bit more(will look more puffy around the edges, right now I am seeing sharp skeleton thats left after the flesh has withdrawn.) But dont worry it looks healthy even after the shipping :)

Hey! Chalice looks good, it will just need a few weeks to acclimate and will flesh out a bit more(will look more puffy around the edges, right now I am seeing sharp skeleton thats left after the flesh has withdrawn.) But dont worry it looks healthy even after the shipping :)

thanks! yeh i noticed a slight change today, but hopefully itll be ok. im having a hard time taking some good pics since i dont have a camera and only use my phone -_-

heres a front shot

thanks! yeh i noticed a slight change today, but hopefully itll be ok. im having a hard time taking some good pics since i dont have a camera and only use my phone -_-

heres a front shot

the gorgonian dosnt have its polyps out and its hard for me to focus in on it, but you get the idea haha

post-53288-1305576820_thumb.jpg

your MP10 is going to shred that red macro, just glue it down to the rock at the base. It has a very tiny base but if you glue it carefully it will grow just fine. its ok if the base gets dipped in glue.

your MP10 is going to shred that red macro, just glue it down to the rock at the base. It has a very tiny base but if you glue it carefully it will grow just fine. its ok if the base gets dipped in glue.

Yeh I've been meaning to do that lol

that gorg looks incredibly healthy. i'd expect nothing less from the ecopico club. what's your next plan for the tank? can i have your mp10?

that gorg looks incredibly healthy. i'd expect nothing less from the ecopico club. what's your next plan for the tank? can i have your mp10?

thanks! yeh the gorg is doing great, showing growth and nice colors! im going to be buying a few frags local from a nice LFS i found =) awesome quality, so ill keep updating!

:lol:

12 hour light cycle? Too long...way too long if you are wanting to maintain an algae problem.

i cut it down to 8 hours after a few days, lets see if it helps? -_-

yes, slowly move it down to around 8 hours of lighting.

yup! did that so hopefully it helps?

you can also stagger your photoperiod to help combat algae. quite a few people around here run a period similar to 4on 8off 4on 8off. works pretty good

you can also stagger your photoperiod to help combat algae. quite a few people around here run a period similar to 4on 8off 4on 8off. works pretty good

i was doing the whole 4 on and 4 off but someone told me its unnatural for the corals, so i ended up slowly going to 12 on 12 off

unless you are using nsw and sunlight not much is natural in our hobby. ive been using the 4on8off for a few months now and my tank has never looked better. regardless of what period you use, 12 hrs is a little much. when i had pc's i ran a 14hr period with good results, but the leds are a lot more intense. my light is actually 4.5on7off4.5on8off with hardly any algae.

unless you are using nsw and sunlight not much is natural in our hobby. ive been using the 4on8off for a few months now and my tank has never looked better. regardless of what period you use, 12 hrs is a little much. when i had pc's i ran a 14hr period with good results, but the leds are a lot more intense. my light is actually 4.5on7off4.5on8off with hardly any algae.

Alright thanks for the info, I'm gonna switch over then

you can certainly try that out (i am personally also running that lighting schedule on my pico) and let it run for a few months, you will see then whether things are doing great.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a twelve hour lighting schedule as well. I switched this lighting schedule a few weeks after I started using a chaeto fuge (which creates the margin of error for what is coming after the end of this parens) and noticed that my GHA growth has slowed significantly and my corals appear to be fine. I'll let you all know if anything happens down the road. Since I had some problem areas and use manual removal on those areas, I have noticed that the manual removal can "keep up" with the growth of what remains and, combined with the fuge, I think the nutrient export in my tank is changing as a result.

Short version: i noticed decreased algae growth in my tank by changing my lighting in this way, although i also run a fuge. :D

I used to have a twelve hour lighting schedule as well. I switched this lighting schedule a few weeks after I started using a chaeto fuge (which creates the margin of error for what is coming after the end of this parens) and noticed that my GHA growth has slowed significantly and my corals appear to be fine. I'll let you all know if anything happens down the road. Since I had some problem areas and use manual removal on those areas, I have noticed that the manual removal can "keep up" with the growth of what remains and, combined with the fuge, I think the nutrient export in my tank is changing as a result.

Short version: i noticed decreased algae growth in my tank by changing my lighting in this way, although i also run a fuge. :D

ive cut back on my lighting hours, and since doing so i think ive noticed less algae growth =) hopefully that solves my problem

i still have yet to purchase purigen, and i think once i do it will help clear the rest off by removing anything else causing the algae spikes.

Archived