Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zoanthid Identification (Scientific Names)

anemone fan

Is there a site or popular book that can help identify the different species of zoanthids?

Zooanthus sp. and Palythoa sp.

That's it.

Zoanthus sp.

Epizoanthus sp.

Parazoanthus sp.

Acrozoanthus sp.

Palythoa sp.

Protopalythoa sp.

Isaurus sp.

For a book 1st that comes to my mind is Aquarium Corals. Selection, Husbandry and Natural History by Eric Borneman

anemone fan

No, I want scientific names, there has to be some way to identify the species of Zoanthid you have. I'm guessing it is going to come down to molecular identification...

ex: Zoanthus sociathus, Zoanthus coppingeri, Zoanthus gigantus, Zoanthus kuroshio.

Perhaps something that involved polyp diameter, tentacle count, and mesentary counts? I would mind sacrificing a few to count their mesentaries.

lakshwadeep

There was a great article last year in Coral about Zoanthus (the genus) taxonomy by Colin Foord:

Major Indo-Pacific species collected:

Z. sansibaricus and Z. vietnamensis - closely related, often shallow water, create a mat of connected polyps (often marketed as "japanese deepwater")

Z. gigantus - deeper/offshore waters 1-2 cm across, double ring of tentacles, fluorescent green mouth ("people eaters")

Caribbean species:

Z. sociatus - shallow form (mats with large mint-green polyps) and deeper form (5 mm diameter blue/green/purple polyps spaced apart, some with yellow centers/rings giving rise to "hornets/alien eyes" names)

unidentified variety 2 - similar to Z. gigantus (incl. "purple people eaters" from Florida)

unidentified variety 3 - "lotus eaters" similar to "people eaters" except fast growers and white mouth slits

unidentified variety 4 - similar to Z. sociatus except it is immune to Zoa Pox

No, I want scientific names, there has to be some way to identify the species of Zoanthid you have. I'm guessing it is going to come down to molecular identification...

ex: Zoanthus sociathus, Zoanthus coppingeri, Zoanthus gigantus, Zoanthus kuroshio.

Perhaps something that involved polyp diameter, tentacle count, and mesentary counts? I would mind sacrificing a few to count their mesentaries.

The problem is, even when you get down to the species, there is still variation.

anemone fan
The problem is, even when you get down to the species, there is still variation.

Do they really shoot the office in Scranton?

Not shot here, but lots of local references.

All the menus, posters, bumper stickers, pizza boxes and the like are from real local businesses. They do quite a good job of making it legit.

The only thing that's a bit off is that there isn't a Chili's around here, and in the first few seasons, they went to one a few times.

Archived