Innovative Marine Aquariums

Frogspawn or Hammer?

d0lph1n

euphyllia!

This is my favorite coral. There’s really no set hammer or frogspawn. I’ve seen “hammer” coral with frogspawn color and “frogspawn” with hammer coral color (which i’ve hear called octopus coral?). there’s variation of tip vs. stalk colors, stalk length, tip shape, and branching vs. nonbranching, but they’re all from the same genus that also includes torch coral.

there is variation, some tentacles will look more hammer-y and some will look more frogspawn-y, but hammers and frogspawns are two different species so they can be identified.. they color varies from each individual and colors can change (to an extent) based on the tank lighting, health of the water etc so that isn't a good identifying factor.

i think as someone else said as it matures it'll take on its real identity, weather the tips split and become frogspawn of they flatten and become a hammer. i say wait until the tips are even really extended before you try to figure it out

This is how it looked before I moved it:

DSC_7545.jpg

one of the easier ways to tell is when the polyp is fully extended on a hammer, it looks like it radiates outward from the mouth with flattened tips

IMG_0002-1.jpg

pic is from this seller

RayWhisperer
one of the easier ways to tell is when the polyp is fully extended on a hammer, it looks like it radiates outward from the mouth with flattened tips

IMG_0002-1.jpg

pic is from this seller

Some Frogspawn display that characteristic,as well. Well, minus the flattened tips, for the most part.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=519

Also, another Euphyllia not mentioned here, Cristata.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...amp;ddid=114380

However, I digress. I too, believe it to be a Frogspawn.

It's defiantly a hammer.

This my frogspawn.

DSC03406.jpg

Your's doesn't have all the other purple "bumps" on it. It's just flat.

tundrashaul

Young frogspawn...mine did the same thing, it appeared to be hammer but the tip was just shaped that way as it shot a branch from that tentacle.

Not all FS have extra "bumps" on each tentacle. See the link I provided.

Ya true, but the tips on this one are more rounded, making it a frogspawn.

The OP's tips are more 'rectangular' I guess you could call it, which would make it a hammer.

Monochrome5
Your's doesn't have all the other purple "bumps" on it. It's just flat.

You can see some bumps on the tentacles. Check the original pic again. It's just young and/or deflated.

danthenewreefman

knowledgeable friend of mine, he's like 60 been doing this 40+ years...

he's saying they're some hybrid euphyllia available now, crosses between hammer/torch etc.

so who the F knows.

euphyllia cristata

euphylliacristata.jpg

danthenewreefman
Gimme! I want!

it was my first coral eber :-) sentamental value.

But look how different it appears compared to the other cristata photo. sometimes it's difficult to ID with just 1 pic.

but I vot frogspawn b/c it does appear some of the tentacles are branching. But the tips look hammer esque. being so deflated.

RayWhisperer

Yeah, way different than any other Cristata I've ever seen. Which, isn't too many.

Regardless. I am ailing today. I wasn't messing with you yesterday. I'm a really cool guy, and perhaps the best mod ever. Therefore, I deserve to have that coral. Gimme!

Don't really want to hijack this thread but I have a similar question... Hammer or frogspawn? New frag I picked up yesterday, sold as a frogspawn. Green stems/purple tips so I'm leaning towards frogspawn too.

DSC_3663.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived