Coral Vue Hydros

Frogspawn or Hammer?

d0lph1n

Looks like a hammer to me...

i would have guessed frogspawn since the only hammer i have seen has green tips and brown stems and the frogspawn has green stems with grey/brown/pink/purple tips. although the tips look like hammer tips

Monochrome5

Frogspawn, just deflated. A few of the tips look to be branching (or starting to branch). Looks a lot like mine. Give it a few days to puff back up. It's just young/acclimating.

Here's mine for reference:

Froggy.jpg

doppelganger

ooh purdy!

Yes it could be as well... you'll probably have to wait a while to get a positive id on it. Either way both are great and I'm sure you'll love it.

Monochrome5
ooh purdy!

Yes it could be as well... you'll probably have to wait a while to get a positive id on it. Either way both are great and I'm sure you'll love it.

Indeed. Frogs/hammers are awesome corals. Lots of movement, great colors, and a fun addition to any tank :)

yeah ima stick with frogspawn too :-) and that is a nice looking piece love the pink tips. or is that just your lighting?

The pink gets a bit more purple as they mature, but it's still bright as the pictures. They have a fluorescent sheen to them under just about every light - no "actinic highlighting" needed :) I guess it's a relatively rare morph, though I've seen them at the LFS at least twice this year (I got mine from a NR member).

I have the exact same looking coral in my tank and the guy at the local fish store said it was hammer. I'm not sure I believe him or not because from research I did I personally thought it looked more like frogspawn, however, he insisted that it was hammer.

Probably not much help, but I figured I'd share.

theres some broad hammer-esque tentacles on there, but i'd wait until it opened up more for a positive ID..the time won't be bad, they require the same care anyway. let it open up and post a picture in like a week when its acclimated:)

thadscottmoore

I have two different types of Frogpawn in my tank and one type of Hammerhead and I vote that what you have is Frogspawn deflated a bit.

Yours is a hammer, his is not ;)

I hope you are right. When i bought it the heads were violet/purple with green. Under my 20000K MH, the purple is gone. Why?

They're both Euphyllia...

I think that is the key. I have been obsessed with Euphyllia for some time now and just from casual observation at the stores I have been to, I have seen tons and tons and tons of variations within the frogspawns torches and hammers I have seen for sale. Even the ones that were obviously a frog had some crazy differences. Just based on the color of the one in the original post, I am going with frogspawn. Not to mention all the other "branching" reasons.

theres some broad hammer-esque tentacles on there, but i'd wait until it opened up more for a positive ID..the time won't be bad, they require the same care anyway. let it open up and post a picture in like a week when its acclimated:)

1 week?! got it :)

euphyllia!

This is my favorite coral. There’s really no set hammer or frogspawn. I’ve seen “hammer” coral with frogspawn color and “frogspawn” with hammer coral color (which i’ve hear called octopus coral?). there’s variation of tip vs. stalk colors, stalk length, tip shape, and branching vs. nonbranching, but they’re all from the same genus that also includes torch coral.

Frogspawn, just deflated. A few of the tips look to be branching (or starting to branch). Looks a lot like mine. Give it a few days to puff back up. It's just young/acclimating.

Here's mine for reference...

Beautiful.

Yours is a hammer, his is not ;)

I'm sure mine is a hammer and his is one as well from the looks of it and from what i have researched on Euphyllia corals

Archived