ReefCleaners.org

Most interesting invert for pico/nano

migs

I am looking to buy a pico/nano but not sure what to put in there. I have been researching Harley and octopuses. I am going to order the tank custom so the sky is the limit as well as with ordering inverts. I do not mind weekly water changes. Any suggestions on the most interesting or most interactive invertebrate? For this tank? I am looking to stay way from fish. All ideas welcomed! Thanks.

Bumble bee shrimp are cool little guys. Just watch em with clams and snails they will nip. They also eat seastars and urchin feet. The harlequins can work as well just be catious with over feeding in smaller Also sexies, nem shrimp, squat lobsters, pom pom crabs, porcelain crabs and a few others I didn't mention. Do some google searches and see what you like.

I was going to get a second tank to try and breed asterina stars... A friend has about 50 to 100 but not sure I can keep up with the Harleys. I thought asterina would be less messy than choc. chip stars.

I want something that will move about and not hide. Pom Pom crabs look interesting... Do they hide a lot? Sexier are cool but get boring... I had some butt blood fire shrimp caught them and ate them!

Choco chips aren't that messy. The shrimp just leave the bony spines and eat the rest. Breeding astrinas may not be all that easy to keep up with these guys. I jut buck up and get some chocos thow em in the sump and feed. The harleys will be out when Hungary.

Pom poms are really neat but not super active. If there are large fish you may never see them. A nem shrimp is pretty cool but they usually just kinda chill on their host most of the time. The bb shrimp will pop out time to time. The sexies will almost always be out so long as there are no predators.

I really dig my yellow brittle star although I think it is actually the same as the notorious fish eating green brittle. I keep it well fed though. Check out my vid

This is in a 36 gallon. Very nice for a nano but not so much for a pico.

As for the pom pom, I have one of these in my 20L and I NEVER see it unless I shine a light deep into the rock and find it hiding. I hate it as much as I do the tiger pistol and it's goby friend that I get to see about once a month.

a bit-o-food and I can get my brittle to wrap around my fingers. The touch of it freeks me out a bit though. I'm definitely more scared of it than it is me.

Yeah - I want to avoid the mistake i made with my Flaming Prawn goby... I bought 2 for my 57 gallon... not sure if both are still in there, but ever other month, I see the tail of one swimming into the rocks.

I am thinking I might go with sexy shrimp... maybe throw in a catalina goby...

I know this is the Invert section, but any thought of a pistol goby pair? I have a Randalli pistol that did not pair with my watchman goby - now both live by themselves on opposite sides of the tank... I hardly ever see my pistol shrimp...

I have a tiger pistol and a yellow watchman in my 20L and I see them Even less often than I do my boxer crab. The shrimp hakes a huge burrow under the rock and the pair never come out. The secret to haveing the pair in a tank is to have the tank where the goby will basically see you every time it looks out of the burrow.

When I had the pair in a 14g nano on an end table next to my couch, I would watch them all the time. Being laid-off from work a lot meant i was around for the goby to feel safe around me. Now that they are in my 20L in my bedroom, the goby darts into hiding the moment I enter the room. Any event that I do catch a glimpse of them, it is just that, a glimpse.

I dont even want to mention the sand storms the pistol makes, let alone that it buries everything in sand from it's constant plowing. Any frag plug in the sand becomes a block to be used to create a door to the burrow or it is just simple turned upside down with my coral face into the sand. I had to get frag racks and they very quickly got covered in the sand from the sand storms. If I could do it all over again, I never would have bought that damned shrimp. As bad as the shrimp is, it is not even a third of adult size.

Also, my two paired up the moment they saw each other.

A randalli pistol is to small to pair with a yellow watchman. Yellow watchmen pair with tiger pistols. Randalli pair with Hi Fin Gobies.

• 2 months later...
olemanwinter

Pom Pom crabs are by far the most interesting invert I have experienced. Sexy shrimp are popular here and they are "cute" but not that "interesting" ime. The problem with Pom poms are that they do indeed hide a lot. In a community tank, mine have both been fine for the 18 months I've had them, and they still have all 4 anemones but I only see them for 1 minute a day after the lights come on as they make their way back into the shadows.

But they are so neat in fact that I'm building a tiny species specific pico for them in hopes they will spend more time out in the open.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived