Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fire Shrimp and Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

akhilennium

akhilennium

Hi All.....I have a 14 Gal tank.....is it good to add both Fire Shrimp and Cleaner shrimp in the same tank???? are they both good companions????? My supplier said that they both fight till death...is it true......I liked both of them and want to have them in my tank......Please advice...

Hi All.....I have a 14 Gal tank.....is it good to add both Fire Shrimp and Cleaner shrimp in the same tank???? are they both good companions????? My supplier said that they both fight till death...is it true......I liked both of them and want to have them in my tank......Please advice...

Ya, I'm also curious. I have a BC29 w/ a cleaner shrimp and would like to add a fire shrimp. Will they get along?

Ya, I'm also curious. I have a BC29 w/ a cleaner shrimp and would like to add a fire shrimp. Will they get along?

It works in my bc29 ... and I've had them for like 8 months together

how about adding a dancing shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp and blood red fire shrimp in one tank????

14 gal is pretty small for all that

A skunk cleaner and a fire cleaner might be a bit much depending on what other livestock you have. In terms of bioload, a cleaner shrimp is equivalent to a small fish. And a 14gal shouldn't be holding anymore than 2-3 small non-territorial fish. Dancing shrimp (aka sexy shrimp) tend to do better in groups but are quite small. They really don't increase the bioload much, but a fair number would be 10 sexy shrimp if you have no other livestock (minus the CUC). If you have two fish 5-6 would be acceptable.

14 gal is pretty small for all that

^^ this is in reference to the footprint of the tank, disregarding bioload. The cleaner and blood will fight, cleaner will chase the sexy shrimps..sexies, as mentioned, should be kept in smaller tanks and in groups as they should some times be target fed. There have been varying stories regarding a skunk and fire shrimp in the same tank, I've heard success stories in a 29bc though

I wouldn't do it for territorial reasons, though ultimately it's up to you whether you take my advise or not..good luck

I have a fire shrimp, skunk shrimp and two peppermint shrimp in the same tank. The fire shrimp hangs out in back, under the rock, and the skunk hangs out up front, so they really dont ever bother each other. The fire shrimp is more aggressive, and if anyone goes near him he chases them away, but otherwise they all leave everything else alone.

I have a fire shrimp, skunk shrimp and two peppermint shrimp in the same tank. The fire shrimp hangs out in back, under the rock, and the skunk hangs out up front, so they really dont ever bother each other. The fire shrimp is more aggressive, and if anyone goes near him he chases them away, but otherwise they all leave everything else alone.

haha ... thats just how my shrimps are ... as long as they dont enter each others territory its no problems

haha ... thats just how my shrimps are ... as long as they dont enter each others territory its no problems

justin, aldawg,

What size tanks do you have?

akhilennium

ok guys...thanks for all suggestions.....but the next day i posted this thread, i have purchased the fire shrimp and the next day i have purchased the skunk cleaner shrimp....

Fire blood shrimp have already made its territory behind the LR and is always hiding....only comes out while feeding...

Skunk cleaner is moving all around the tank but is getting chased away when its entering the fire blood shrimp's territory.....

its been 5 days now and the skunk cleaner shrimp and fire blood shrimp came to an understanding that...."if u dont disturb me, I wont mess with u"

They both are doing fine in the tank so far....

My current live stock is

1 Humbug Damsel

1 Fire blood Shrimp

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

1 Orange Linkia Star Fish

live stock going to be added this weekend..

1 pair of percula clown

1 pigmey anemone (maybe)

My tank is 5 month old and have completed its cycling process...

LR is around 6 Kgs and its from and established FOWLR tank..

Substrate is Argonite sand.

So you're content with the obvious tension with your shrimp? You said your fire shrimp hides essentially all day? Alright then I guess..

And good luck with long term success with the linkia, I personally wouldn't do that either. Their diet is completely known and it's thought they eat surface film/algae which a nano won't really be full of.

Id also think twice about a nem in your tank

Again like I said before, you're ultimately gunna do what you want

I would suggest finding some other options for tank inhabitants.

Isn't the humbug damsel a very aggressive fish that usually requires a very large tank? Am I confusing it with something else? It may be ok when it is young but it will become very aggressive, especially in a small tank.

I have seen lots of tanks with a pair of clowns in a 12 or 14 but to have three very aggressive fish in a small tank is going to end badly for your fish and tank.

I would echo what has been said about the linkia. They need a much larger system to even have a fighting chance.

I am not sure what a pygmy anenome is? Is that a Maxi-nem or a mini-nem? If so, I think both of those could be fine in a 14 but probably not any other kind.

Good luck.

akhilennium

thanks for all the suggestions guys......all of ur suggestions are very informative......ill take all ur advices....but as i already have this live stock adjusted to my tank.....i cannot disturb it as of now......i may return back the linkia as u all said that the algea film may come down......but as of now...i have got pretty much of it in the tank.....

will the algea film affect if i add a turbo snail???? i just got this thot because there is a hell of hair algea in the tank.....

Oh the skunk have molted yesterday.......shall i have to remove the exo-skeleton or leave it in the tank????

ejanastacio

I had a cleaner shrimp and a fire in the my 20 gal tank. They were always in the other side of the tank living peacefully then one day I decided sell the shrimp and I made the mistake in putting them both in a small container, after a 15 min drive I look down only to see the fire had eaten the cleaner shrimp.

He has not had these shrimp very long guys... give it some time. The shrimp may just be hiding because it is new. Behavior may change sooner or later.

I think you should do some reading about your additions before you add them. Since it sounds like you will add something no matter what anyone on the internet says, at least read up on what you buy. As for the molt, I always toss them.

akhilennium
He has not had these shrimp very long guys... give it some time. The shrimp may just be hiding because it is new. Behavior may change sooner or later.

I think you should do some reading about your additions before you add them. Since it sounds like you will add something no matter what anyone on the internet says, at least read up on what you buy. As for the molt, I always toss them.

Sure SoCalDude its been more than 2 weeks and both the shrimps are doing good.....

As per the linkia....it took ur advices and also researched a lot n internet and returned it back to LFS yesterday.....miss that wonderull guy....is there any other starfish i can keep in my 14G tank?????

Oh one more question, i noticed the fire shrimp is not coming out if its cave fron 2 days while i drop the food in the tank......is it normal??? is it gonna be ok if its not feeding???

Sure SoCalDude its been more than 2 weeks and both the shrimps are doing good.....

As per the linkia....it took ur advices and also researched a lot n internet and returned it back to LFS yesterday.....miss that wonderull guy....is there any other starfish i can keep in my 14G tank?????

Oh one more question, i noticed the fire shrimp is not coming out if its cave fron 2 days while i drop the food in the tank......is it normal??? is it gonna be ok if its not feeding???

Get a brittle starfish. Those tend to keep the surface of the sand clean.

• 10 years later...