Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

squirrel's 40g CAD 2.0 - Stuff n Junk

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

First post has been updated with the new build specs

All of that gear is coming in the next few days, I will be spending much of this week and next laying it all out as equipment comes in. I will be posting build progression pics as I go. I should have the first few initial build pics tomorrow, as the first couple of shipments arrive.

Squee, reef mail!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl

Here are the first few shots of the redux of the CAD.

AD58DFB6-72F6-40F8-A027-BC1D7727AA70.jpg

The tank all cleaned and in place. We wish we could have gotten the hardwood floors in before the build.

1855FECC-24F0-4098-B566-47B13F0BE555.jpg

Reef mail! Bonus blonde dog Champers checking things out

15167780-7060-4F9B-B201-57D3F38F369B.jpg

D8C35C92-0548-4276-8617-1E7B590F5692.jpg

6D4DF0AA-2612-4B64-9088-5839DCC620BB.jpg

042FCFC5-A76B-48FE-8E67-615DDAE8649F.jpg

C16DCCF4-68AA-46E5-B664-691EF0B6D223.jpg

1EBC9CC9-F798-4261-849F-92BB8E23B56C.jpg

D5B87AEE-83BF-4D0B-B79B-77D07FBA6654.jpg

26BA19FB-1EA3-415D-BDD3-25AA436B3AE2.jpg

44C976FC-7C80-4407-8914-2BAC9DF8E3E8.jpg

B5C1512C-178C-4F5B-B656-9E751CBF6580.jpg

Build progression for the stand courtesy of my bud James.

64EEE857-7F00-4368-A0F6-0018A719029D.jpg

Gear pile and staging

18857D2A-68E3-4AA2-B70F-D265A5182BBB.jpg

Working on the command center layout and wire management

67794E06-E319-4A37-86B5-BDFDE98C7BCA.jpg

Finished command center, with room to spare for upgrades in the future

F18FF898-A38D-4A72-BAA4-D5894E49E3F4.jpg

Here is what I used to light the command center, sump compartment and shelf.

34F69768-F960-47AF-9B0A-4BB51161D2C3.jpg

Super thin, flexible and easy to mount with the double stick adhesive on the back side. Great stuff, with lots of modes and colors.

More shots to come of the build progression, today is skimmer assembly, possible drilling rock for the scape, replacing filters on the RO/DI. Tomorrow the rest of the gear arrives, with the sump to follow by mid month.

squirrelieygrrrl

I may have slightly miscalculated on the skimmer height...... Oops.

EB31D34F-CA38-4A0E-9232-26BCFD1E4213.jpg

I think I can compensate for this sever oversight by taking a hole saw to the shelf directly above the skimmer so I can get the cup off for cleaning. Won't be sure until the sump arrives and I can tell for sure how it's all going to come together, option b is that I take a jig saw to the shelf and create a door with a hinge. One thing is for sure that skimmer is a beast, and definitely the largest one I've ever owned. I'm not willing to return it just yet. Fingers crossed I can make it work.

DD58DE0B-4BA3-474D-A3F9-2E8C2282B578.jpg

Here's a few crap iPhone pics of the tank with the doors open, my phone didn't know how to handle the lights so I did my best with the iPhone editing.

C2EF858B-0B20-4E7C-8884-D937D1E2C2EC_1.j

CEBEF320-9A62-47DD-87DA-770A8D98AE44.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

Worked on the scape yesterday, I like how it came out. Plenty of room for things to grow and space to buy larger corals on larger rocks.

F5847743-6BB0-486F-941A-3929940EFF72.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

Well thats quite impressive setup you have there.

Hey thanks!

It's definitely getting there.

In other news, I'm stalled until I have the sump. Still thinking about what ato to use, I'm seriously considering using the apex salinity module to then control an ato. I really like the idea of using salinity to control the top off in lieu of a water level system. Still haven't decided on what components to use for that.

Awesome to see you back sg cant wait to see what you do with this beauty....your off to a lovely start. How are you liking the AI prime?

squirrelieygrrrl

Awesome to see you back sg cant wait to see what you do with this beauty....your off to a lovely start. How are you liking the AI prime?

Thanks Hype! Definitely glad to be back in the game after the long hiatus. So far I really like the prime lights, though if you ask me for even a moderately sized tank you need something else to supplement, hence the kessil.

clap.gif

Bravo! Following this master piece!

Why thank you! *bows*

Are you going to run the three lights over the tank? Scape looks awesome so much space for activities

Thanks a bunch. I am definitely planning on running all three, the primes will work my sunrise, sunset and lunar ramp cycles, with the kessil picking up during peak daytime hours to replicate the 11am-4pm daylight. I've always liked that the kessil lights seem to most closely replicate the shimmer of daytime sunlight being a warmer kelvin light.

squirrelieygrrrl

Sump arrived yesterday, I bugged my buddy James to come over with his big 6 3/4" hole saw so I could make the skimmer fit. Also started setting my plumbing plan into place and realized using two 45 degree fittings to make a 90 wouldn't work due to space constraints so I'm off today to go find fittings that work.

Any one else have problems finding a npt fitting that works with the loc line adapter? I'm trying to find a firing that takes the adapter from loc line to a 90 hose barb.

Any way. Pics!

F78367ED-D93E-4B95-B4A2-A3916C51A7B8.jpg

James drilling holes.

2068A70C-99B3-4367-80A1-0725AEAA972F.jpg

Sump size test

1370DB24-5D18-49C5-80C0-B09EB5D66217.jpg

Stuff installed ish.

I've realized I need some white cord raceways for wire management to keep with the clean look I'm going for. That will be tonight's project after work. I just can't cope with the rats nest of wires in my nice clean white sump cabinet.

Looking good. A lot cleaner looking than mine. I would love to have a sump like that though. The CAD sump design leaves a lot to be desired...

squirrelieygrrrl

Looking good. A lot cleaner looking than mine. I would love to have a sump like that though. The CAD sump design leaves a lot to be desired...

Thanks! I've really been taking my time on this build to ensure I'm getting everything just right before I get wet.

I hated my cad sump and stand! The stand fell apart way to early on for my liking considering the cost. I'm so happy that I ditched both cad sump and stand.

In other news, I'll be pulling everything out to put in the cord raceway! Woot!

squirrelieygrrrl

Well. I effed up last night installing the raceways and put them too high.... So today I will be taking them out, cutting them down and reinstalling. Note to self don't install things while drinking. :facepalm:

squirrelieygrrrl

I've decided to use two PC case fans to implement cooling, so I've waylaid on the build again till they come in.

2x80mm clear fans ringed with a cold cathode red light.

13ED32F7-339C-4A0F-92F2-9E9DD377A4C3.jpg

They will be temp controlled to turn on when the tank gets too hot.

I've also realized I'll have to add another simple fan to the command center since it gets silly hot in there with no ventilation.

HarryPotter

Sump arrived yesterday, I bugged my buddy James to come over with his big 6 3/4" hole saw so I could make the skimmer fit. Also started setting my plumbing plan into place and realized using two 45 degree fittings to make a 90 wouldn't work due to space constraints so I'm off today to go find fittings that work.

Any one else have problems finding a npt fitting that works with the loc line adapter? I'm trying to find a firing that takes the adapter from loc line to a 90 hose barb.

Any way. Pics!

F78367ED-D93E-4B95-B4A2-A3916C51A7B8.jpg

James drilling holes.

2068A70C-99B3-4367-80A1-0725AEAA972F.jpg

Sump size test

1370DB24-5D18-49C5-80C0-B09EB5D66217.jpg

Stuff installed ish.

I've realized I need some white cord raceways for wire management to keep with the clean look I'm going for. That will be tonight's project after work. I just can't cope with the rats nest of wires in my nice clean white sump cabinet.

Why not just make the wires white? Take out the electronics and paint the cords!

squirrelieygrrrl

I made a hoffer and one of these helped to get the rest of the overflow plumbed

20141120_185440-1.jpg

Hoffer? To the Google!

The problem I was running into was that though loc line claims that their adapter is npt, good luck going to the hardware store and finding something that fits. I must have spent an hour and a half in the homedepot plumbing aisle trying to find a fitting with threading that matches. I ordered something from brs that should work fingers crossed. Still need to find a nylon bolt/spacer so there isn't play in the overflow with the locline.

Why not just make the wires white? Take out the electronics and paint the cords!

Chip factor? I'd toyed with the idea, but I also like that the raceways open like a hinged clamshell making for much easier servicing of things like pumps that need to be removed.

I'll have some pics up of the raceways this afternoon once I finish.

squirrelieygrrrl

Raceways installed...... At the proper height no less. It's amazing how when you do a project sober and not tired how nice it turns out. Lol.

88F11377-042A-4497-9AB6-CEA5CF2C4086.jpg

I've decided to just leave the sump out for now. No sense in taking it in and out and in and out again like a pain in the arse cat.

Can the rest of my stuff just get here already?! They so need to develop a teleportation delivery service. Waiting is stupid and stuff. :lol:

Hoffer? To the Google!

The problem I was running into was that though loc line claims that their adapter is npt, good luck going to the hardware store and finding something that fits. I must have spent an hour and a half in the homedepot plumbing aisle trying to find a fitting with threading that matches. I ordered something from brs that should work fingers crossed. Still need to find a nylon bolt/spacer so there isn't play in the overflow with the locline.

Chip factor? I'd toyed with the idea, but I also like that the raceways open like a hinged clamshell making for much easier servicing of things like pumps that need to be removed.

I'll have some pics up of the raceways this afternoon once I finish.

PM AlexB. he knows how to convert CAD's metric parts to American standard fittings.

For that very reason I asked CAD to custom drill mine to american standard fittings. Lawnman advised me to do that. I'm not that versant with fittings to have made the metric to american conversion. As is it, the american fittings took me forever to learn and do.

squirrelieygrrrl

PM AlexB. he knows how to convert CAD's metric parts to American standard fittings.

For that very reason I asked CAD to custom drill mine to american standard fittings. Lawnman advised me to do that. I'm not that versant with fittings to have made the metric to american conversion. As is it, the american fittings took me forever to learn and do.

I've long since ditched everything CAD sent with my set up, the glass is the only thing left. Plumbing is all standard 1" drain, and 3/4" return, bulkheads included.

The issue I was having is with locline's npt male thread adapter, their threading is just so slightly off so that any standard 3/4" plumbing fitting I've found doesn't thread all the way in. If they just made a damned slip x locline adapter this would be a non issue. I hate threaded plumbing.

Archived