SaltCritters.com

squirrel's 40g CAD 2.0 - Stuff n Junk

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl
I'm still trying to tweak my Aqua Illumnation to give a stronger 20k look, I think ATM it's 14kish.... Wuld my across get better color under 20k?

that could help, i prefer 20k light my self.

without going into another tirade, i believe that there are alot of variables to coloration in acros. things like lighting, near perfect stable params (especially alk, ca, and mg), flow, nutrition, and probably a slew of minor variables like trace elements, temp, etc. not to mention shear genetics. these are all things ive been taking into consideration to get my acros to look perfect. i still havnt dialed it down quite yet, id like to see more even growth, consistently good pe, and much better color. its sciencey art if you ask me.

Looks incredible sg...it amazes how much youve done in such a short period of time.Beautiful..

Awesome pics BTW

aw thanks hype. i really appreciate it. :blush:

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron

I hear you, I've been able to stabilize everything from params (thx chaeto) alk, calc are steady, but I need to order mag test kits... Temp stays at 78*. light, well, I'm still dialing that one in....obviously. They do get fed Oyster Feast.

I'll keep at it.

squirrelieygrrrl

youll get it eventually,

another thing to consider is placement. ive found that some times an sps just dosnt like its spot. good luck bud!

squirrelieygrrrl

so i did some rearranging of things to dial down placement for stuff on the sand, the clam was totally hating being in the middle so i had to move him to the outside, which started something..... figgers.

i also added a bit more sand,about 5lbs of fiji pink to increase the grain size a bit and make a deeper sandbed for my future leopard wrasse.

i totally broke the crap out of my orange digi, gonna have to try and glue it back how it was. dammit <_< .

also still considering getting rid of lunch the maroon. any input?

DSC05559.jpg

full room shot

DSC05557.jpg

schnazzy fts angled

DSC05540-1.jpg

enough goofin 'round n down to bidness

DSC05547.jpg

DSC05552.jpg

i think i like it alot better this way. thoughts anyone?

phi delt reefer

keep the maroon. he looks awesome - if anything trade him in for a gold striped maroon - they are supposed to be less aggressive if thats your issue.

squirrelieygrrrl

yea its his aggression,

as hes been maturing he has been turning into a little chit head. he pretty much dominates that right 1/3 of the tank, which means the wrasse has less territory, and i dont think with him in there that i can reasonably add another fish unless its a blennie or a goby. neither of which im really all that interested in.

my future plan was to add a leopard wrasse, a gumdrop coral croucher (if i can ever find one), and potentially a gold asessor. i dont think thats gonna work out though with Lunch in there guarding his territory the way he does.

phi delt reefer
yea its his aggression,

as hes been maturing he has been turning into a little chit head. he pretty much dominates that right 1/3 of the tank, which means the wrasse has less territory, and i dont think with him in there that i can reasonably add another fish unless its a blennie or a goby. neither of which im really all that interested in.

my future plan was to add a leopard wrasse, a gumdrop coral croucher (if i can ever find one), and potentially a gold asessor. i dont think thats gonna work out though with Lunch in there guarding his territory the way he does.

screw the gold assessor. Get a yellow spot hog fish. My lfs has two - the yellow out of this world. Awesome looking fish.

try putting the maroon in the sump once you get your new fish. Leave him there for a couple weeks. Then put him back. He will have lost his claim to the territory and will hopefully get back in line. If not i guess you can just trade him in for more awesome SPS :D

Hey your tank looks really good!! I just browsed through from the beginning of the thread, I can't imagine how frustrating trying to get all the plumbing and lighting figured out would have been. I would have thrown it :P

Your photos are amazing too! I wish I had a decent camera to take pics of my tank, even though all it has in it is LR right now. I just have an old point and shoot digital, or an iPhone cam :P Feel free to check out my thread, it isn't very interesting yet though haha :)

Awesome tank!! :happy:

phi delt reefer
will have to look into those guys, and thanks for the clown+sump idea. you rock phi!

sorry i had the name of the hog wrong - its a twinspot hogfish - here is a crappy pic but the yellow is like Highlighter yellow;

twinspothog.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl
:)

:happy:

Nice Tank! :D

thanks!

Hey your tank looks really good!! I just browsed through from the beginning of the thread, I can't imagine how frustrating trying to get all the plumbing and lighting figured out would have been. I would have thrown it :P

Your photos are amazing too! I wish I had a decent camera to take pics of my tank, even though all it has in it is LR right now. I just have an old point and shoot digital, or an iPhone cam :P Feel free to check out my thread, it isn't very interesting yet though haha :)

Awesome tank!! :happy:

lulz. im rather impatient when it comes to stuff i cant work out, drives me nuts.

thanks so much paigee, i totally appreciate you taking the time to check it out. :) ill make sure to take the time to check out yours as well. eventually, if the bug really bites you im sure youll get a better camera. reefing was what pushed me towards getting a better camera in the first place. lulz. best of luck to you. :)

sorry i had the name of the hog wrong - its a twinspot hogfish - here is a crappy pic but the yellow is like Highlighter yellow;

twinspothog.jpg

hmm now that ive read into them a bit it seems that fish may not be the best choice. considering that i already have one active swimmer and i intend on adding the leopard soon too. which i know is pushing it a bit considering that youre not really supposed to house more than one wrasse per a tank of my size.

the reason i had been considering an assessor is that from my research i found that they tend to not be quite as active as wrasses, and prefer doing the upside down swimming under a ledge. i actually designed the acro island to the left with that overhang just for an assessor or something with similar swimming habits.

hmm now that ive read into them a bit it seems that fish may not be the best choice. considering that i already have one active swimmer and i intend on adding the leopard soon too. which i know is pushing it a bit considering that youre not really supposed to house more than one wrasse per a tank of my size.

the reason i had been considering an assessor is that from my research i found that they tend to not be quite as active as wrasses, and prefer doing the upside down swimming under a ledge. i actually designed the acro island to the left with that overhang just for an assessor or something with similar swimming habits.

When I had my assessor in the 28g led tank, I never noticed him much. Now that he's in the 40g, he's one of my fav. fish. The t5 really brings out his color, he looks just like the photo from liveaquaria. The blue around his eyes and fins are striking. I wish I could get a decent photo of him. He's a bit shy, doesn't like swimming out in the open much and always in his cave. And, currently sharing the right side of the tank with a mystery wrasse. They seem to get along pretty well and sleep in the same cave at night.

squirrelieygrrrl

thats great!

just what i wanted to hear. id like to try and have an even balance of fish and i think an assessor would even out the mix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
squirrelieygrrrl

Gasp!

Well im a slacker, it's been a long time since I updated this thing. Sorry folks. Love happened, I got distracted, the tank pretty much looks like hammered dog doo. I'm moving it today, eeeek! Wish me luck friends. On the bright side that means that now it's going to my girlfriends house which means it should be subjected to far less neglect. It's so sad looking I couldnt bear the thought of posting a pic. Updated photos soon to come once i get things back in order.

Archived