Cultivated Reef

Small brown octopus

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Thanks, I'm liking the pico tank much better. I hate paying for a fish you never see, at least now I see a foot here or a head pop up every now and then.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope it doesn't get caught/chopped up in the Koralia! I'm thinking that might not be the right pump for a cephalopod tank. I'm not experienced with these things though so I could be completely off base.

gulfsurfer101

Idk, he seems to be able to handle himself pretty well with the flow. You guys will be the the second one's to know if it happens. I will probably toss it once I am able to get a small skimmer in place for higher oxygen levels in the tank.

gulfsurfer101

Got some more pics of it in action. I lowered the lighting from a boost par30 to a small 13w cfl from harbor frieght,(9 bucks, can't beat that for lighting). I noticed he was a lot more active after doing so and I even redid the rockwork a bit to a more minimalist aproach. He seemed to be a bit curiuos as to what was going on around him today and is feeling a bit more brazen swimming up the the glass to see who is watching him. Here's some pics, enjoy.

octopic3016.jpg

octopic3015.jpg

octopic3018.jpg

octopic3019.jpg

octopic3020.jpg

octopic3017.jpg

octopic3012.jpg

Missile comand, we have an intruder!

octopic3010.jpg

and here in his home

octopic3003.jpg

octopic3004.jpg

octopic3005.jpg

I'm really surprised he comes out this much.

Very cool. I have a O.briareus It took more then a month before I even saw him out once, and then many more months for him to get comfortable being out. Nocturnal dwarf's are supposed to be even more reclusive.

gulfsurfer101
Maybe he's just lonely

I hope so, they prefer to be. I might add a small feeder damsel in there soon as a treat. Maybe they can be freinds till he eats it. :P

Cheapreef27
I hope so, they prefer to be. I might add a small feeder damsel in there soon as a treat. Maybe they can be freinds till he eats it. :P

They should make that into a cheesy kids movie.

gulfsurfer101

I might just do that, I need to clear up some space on my card but it is doable. I can do the voices and errything.

gulfsurfer101

Thanks, I tore down my mr.aqua pico to swap this tank into for since they require a nice and cycled tank. The rock has been fully cycled for a few years now and the sand was live sand that was allowed to recycle itself in my mr.aqua pico. I plan on doing some revisions to my mr.aqua overflow desing to allow me to keep a lid on it and keep him in there and not get sucked down into the sump.

gulfsurfer101

I went to the beach yesterday to collect some food scources for my ceph and scored two small fishes that looked pretty stange. I wish I had pics as regret they have already been devoured along with a tiny anlger I was going to send markuska. I also caught a few nudi's and two extra tiny crabs that I cannot find today as well.

gulfsurfer101

Nevermind, I just found the angler hiding under a rock along with a few sargassum shrimps, ummmm......

gulfsurfer101

Oh man, congratulations! I know the feeling we just had our third one and are looking to get out of this side of town as well. My old lady wants to get closer to her family up in burleson, tx about 15 mins out of Fort Worth. I love it to, a nice little community with lots to do and not too far out the city if I ever need a night out.

In some of the photos, I see a greenish shimmer, never seen that coloration on a dwarf. It is really beautiful.

Fish are not a good idea, not only do they end up on the menu but some will harass the octopus and cause it to hide. Koralias are considered safest way to go with octopuses, I have them in my octopus tanks.

gulfsurfer101

It get's the job done and pulls most of the dead matter off the substrate. The only fish I added were wild caught in a ball of sargassum. It's cheaper than spending senseless dollars on hermits and snails from the lfs. It's also fun too to watch him go for different pray. He is very entertaining to watch and once the tank lights go out he is definately more active. He does usually hide all day and only comes out after lights but it's not too strange to see him out of his den with lights on. The only reason the angler is still around is because it's a master of camoflauge but it's only a matter of time.

That is so unusual that it comes out with lights on. After acclimation I never saw more than an arm that grabbed food. I decided to stick to the larger species. You got lucky with this one. Enjoy it, won't last long. I just began interacting with my O. briareus and a couple weeks later she began brooding.

I especially love the photo with your daughter?? That one is precious.

Are you going to give her a name? I found this odd at first but considering how special these guys are IMO they deserve a name. I get the kids involved but retain veto power. I once had a bird named Suzi Puff, never again.

gulfsurfer101

Lol, my kids named it squidworth after the sourpuss on spngebob. I wish I got pics of the anlger but it appears he didn't make it through last night's buffet or he is really good at hiding from the trained eye. I will definately get more as I head back home in a week or two. I usually catch them by the dozens when the sargassum is rolling in. I trade them to the lfs for things like salt or cheap equipment. I'd promised Markushka one so when I get back in town I got some angling wrangling to do. I'm fixing to head off to Laredo for the next week or two on a quick turnarond so the tank is in the wifes hands. She's good and pull off a water change if need be and knows where to go if she runs out of small snails and inverts to crunch on.

Archived