Pod Your Reef

Jay's 5.5 Pico

JayPagi

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like dictyota.

Any reason why this stuff grows so much?

Looks like Neomeris annulata in the front there.

Yeah the Neomeris is on it's way out and is easy to control.

I'm no expert, but I follow the anemone forums on RC and your anemone looks a lot like a gigantae, which as you can tell by the name, gets pretty big. They are also notoriously one of the hardest anemone species to keep alive. I would need more pics of its foot to know for sure. If it has little dots going down its foot, then you have a gigantae.

I'm no expert, but I follow the anemone forums on RC and your anemone looks a lot like a gigantae, which as you can tell by the name, gets pretty big. They are also notoriously one of the hardest anemone species to keep alive. I would need more pics of its foot to know for sure. If it has little dots going down its foot, then you have a gigantae.

No dot's on the foot...I think it's a sebae which also gets kinda big. It's eating but I'm still going to get rid of it.

It could be a sebae, but the shape of the tentacles and how it kinda folds up around the edges makes me think of a carpet anemone. The mouth also looks like that of a carpet. Can you post pictures of its foot?

NEW PICS... getting better with this reverse lens macro stuff.

5694958764_4101332ae9_z.jpg

5694957658_1bf4f44cc7_z.jpg

5694384391_619dfdc339_z.jpg

5694383277_3b739fffb0_z.jpg

5694954232_68640ca7b1_z.jpg

5694953124_e548996fee_z.jpg

Love the superman stretch in the last pic.

Update...

So I removed the anemone on the weekend; what a relief as I was constantly guessing what the hell it was doing. The downside of that is my crabs are now divorced and I need to find something else (easier to maintain) that they will host. I also upgraded to a MJ600 (previously MJ400) last night before my water change... a bit more noise/vibration... and the sand is now blowing off the far wall but quite a bit more flow. More flow was necessary as a lot of waste began to gather on the sand substrate. I also started running chemipure hopefully I will notice a difference.

Awesome macros man! I wish I had some decent gear to capture my inverts... -_-

I wish you did also your tank is looking amazing; do you not have a DSLR?

Drift Monkey
I wish you did also your tank is looking amazing; do you not have a DSLR?

Nope...too poor for one at the moment. -_- I feel like I miss several awesome macro shots everyday! My iPhone doesn't to them justice! :mellow:

Nope...too poor for one at the moment. -_- I feel like I miss several awesome macro shots everyday! My iPhone doesn't to them justice! :mellow:

I hear that... 5 years in the making before I eventually bought my D90. I wish I could afford a macro lens right now but I will have to make due with what I have right now.

Great pics.... I'd love a decent cam.

Thanks... you could probably pick up a Canon T1i/T2i or Nikon D90 for a good price now as both of them have been replaced by newer cameras. Both are great entry level cameras.

Great tank! What did you make the rear chambers out of? It looks like black acrylic? I thought there wasnt a good way to attach acrylic and glass no?

Great tank! What did you make the rear chambers out of? It looks like black acrylic? I thought there wasnt a good way to attach acrylic and glass no?

Thanks. I believe it's black plexi-glass; I just used the Marineland aquarium sealant and it worked really well.

Nothing really new to report in terms of livestock still looking for some frags; I'm going to start out with some zoas and GSP.

Took a few new pictures tonight.

Does anyone know what this is? I have a couple of spots on my LR developing.

5728325263_7b06d51e41_z.jpg

Also modified my cover to to allow more air flow; this keeps my pH up and my water temp more stable. Don't worry I placed little stops beside the light fixture so it won't accidentally fall in.

5728329081_19a41d6372_z.jpg

I owe everyone an updated FTS once I get some coral.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a nice sized rock of GSP yesterday at my LFS and I broke it up to fit into this tiny tank; now I have the bulk of it at the back right and a few frags at the left front.

Once they open back up I will take a new FTS.

Holy crap i'm in love with your crabs.

Thanks... it's amazing when I feed them they just come flying out of the rock work the instant food hits the water.

This is a really great tank, it makes me want to set up one just like it!

Great job! (also awesome photography!)

Tank is looking good! GSP is great, but just make sure you keep it localized on a small piece of rock. I never let it grow onto my main LR as this stuff grows like crazy!

Eh, the strain of GSP I have hasnt really grown at all in 2-3 months but thats pretty rare, so I guess your milage may vary

Archived