Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jay's 5.5 Pico

JayPagi

Tank is looking good! GSP is great, but just make sure you keep it localized on a small piece of rock. I never let it grow onto my main LR as this stuff grows like crazy!

Yeah but this stuff is so easy to frag/remove is it really that much of a concern to control?

Here are a few new pics of my recent addition...

5759804093_88d0698d0f_z.jpg

5759800837_91f18db759_z.jpg

5759807271_15e2693444_z.jpg

I know it's a bit much right now but I have nothing else in the tank; eventually I may remove the two colonies on the left.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came home from a weekend up north to find one of my porcelain crabs hanging out in the GSP makes me happy he has a home again.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone loves pictures....

5831320488_b2a89d97e5_z.jpg

5831324458_f5094b1435_z.jpg

5830776419_24f918fa27_z.jpg

And videos...

The tank has been really stable over the last couple of months and I'm hoping to add some other corals shortly.

Porcelain crab yes.... oops I wonder if I can change that!? Oh well.

Yeah he's filthy but I can't quite give him a bath!

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while.

Nothing really that new I did recently pick up a Duncan Coral Frag and a Ricordea.

The Duncan looks awesome but I'm concerned about the Ric as it keeps opening its mouth and spewing chemical junk. The GSP colony at the back of the tank has been quiet since adding these new corals but slowly coming back out (Probably because of the Ric junk). I don't know I guess time will tell. I also had a little yellowtail damselfish (don't take GF's to fish stores) but after a couple weeks his eye was really infected (don't know what happened) and eventually he passed. I'll probably wait until my next tank to get some fish.

I also found a little crab the other day that likes to hang out in the GSP I spot him now and then... brown and dirty color looking guy. My porcelains are still kicking; though they hide out alot more these days.

Anyways here are some pics...

5986169164_16541aa1cd_z.jpg

5985608229_e0b774d04f_z.jpg

5986167162_fa6bf7823c_z.jpg

A new FTS to come once things settle down.

ric looks fine to me. pic of the crab during spot feeding?

He's hard to spot and quite skiddish but I can try that.

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I updated by tank profile. I've since added a small colony of Zoa's. Water parameters have been great but I've been fighting some aiptasia issues recently those little jerks pop up everywhere. I moved the Ric a bit further under a ledge and it's size doubled in a few days obviously it was getting a little too much light. I will need a bigger tank soon as the coral addiction is amazing. Here is an updated FTS and my Zoa colony.

6206087586_a7dc0f871c_z.jpg

6205568987_650c3da6de_z.jpg

i think you could fit a lot more coral in that tank haha! nice eagle eye zoas, they grow well and take over rock fast. my pico is dominated by them :P

i think you could fit a lot more coral in that tank haha! nice eagle eye zoas, they grow well and take over rock fast. my pico is dominated by them :P

Awesome! I can't wait to pick up other colors. Newman do you know of a website/thread that shows all the different types of Zoa's?

Tank looks great but I agree wiht Newman ... definitely room for quite a few more in there =0)

Yeah I agree and its coming but I really want a slightly bigger tank with more swimming space for a couple of fish but I'm in no rush. My blastos have already split and there are 4 or 5 new heads growing now. I hope the Zoa's go crazy like the GSP and take over the rock they look so cool.

zoa id is a decent place to start ID'ing zoas..

Great site... Thanks!

Still love your tank and the simplicity of it. It looks amazing.

Thanks for the kind words.

Should I start testing for anything other than the usual Salinity, PH, Nitrates etc... I don't test for Alk, Calc or anything else; my corals are doing great so far (I only have 3 species) with my weekly water changes (1 - 1.5g). I know the old if it aint broke done fix it metaphor but things change in the aquarium world over time. Any suggestions?

you could test for many things just to be sure that everythings normal. but after you get the idea of where your tank is running you dont really need to test if you have a routine that works.

you could test for many things just to be sure that everythings normal. but after you get the idea of where your tank is running you dont really need to test if you have a routine that works.

Good advice. What sort of things deplete once you start adding more and more corals? Have you had any issues of your own in terms of water quality? Why did they occur?

things like magnesium and calcium and others deplete as corals grow, most notably with clams and stony corals and coralline algae.

Weekly water changes take care of replenishing these things along with the trace elements like iodine + others.

I have not had any issues in terms of water quality. once you get past your initial algae blooms such as cyano and hair algae, its smooth sailing from there. issues frequently do stem from lack of water changes though, so remember to change weekly.

• 5 weeks later...
really nice tank

where do you buy your corals from?

Thanks I don't really love how the scape turned out the main rock is too big for the tank but this is a test tank for me really. I have a better idea of what I want to do on my second tank.

Everything but the GSP is from NAFB the GSP is from Big Al's Whitby.

Archived