Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

lighting a 10 gallon

realhiphop

I plan on setting up a 10 gallon, but I'm stuck on the lighting. I have a few questions and I'm hoping to get some good recommendations. Here's what I'm looking for.....

1. The ability to run dawn and dusk, so I'm basically looking for a light with two power cords

2. A lighting system I can place directly over the 10 gallon, and leaves some space for air.

3. Built in fan

I was looking at the 2x32 watt CSL ABS Hood. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on it, on whether its good or not, or any recommendations on any other 2x32 watt kits.

Thanks

Christopher Marks

The CSL 2x32w hood is nice, however it is only 15" long, so you will have to find some way to suspend it over the tank. I think you would get much better results if you build your own hood and installed a 2x32w retro kit, or something similar. :happy:

Nishant3789

i think i have the perfect hood for you. go to www.petsupplyliquidator.com they have aluminum hoods, get the 2X36 watt one, and ask for fans. it should cost around 140, but itll give you GREAT lighting, plus it wont cover up all of ure tank top, and it comes WITH bulbs. hth

nishant

I'm basically looking for a hood with the 2x32 lighting already in there. I'm looking at the PSL one and does anyone know if this fits perfectly over a 10 gallon. It says 19" and a 10 gallon is 20".

Nishant3789

just incase anyone was wondering.....the 32 watts are NOT almost as muh power as 36 watts. infact they are just 28 watt PCs with a tiny bit more power to them. so, think before you buy the 2X32 watt.....

nishant

The 2x36 Lights from PSL say 19" long. How would this fit perfectly fit over a 10 gallon with no altering it? And do you think the fans are needed?

Nishant3789

its actually 19 and 3/4th inches so it fits perfectly into the grooves of the ten gallon top...

nishant

realhiphop

IMO, I will trim out the fans and get a clip-on(walmart) fan for that money(only $8). But I will worry about top-off instead heating problem.

Nishant3789

i have the single 36 watt PC belive me dude, they were designed to fit over a ten gallon. but you WILL want to get a peice of glass to cover th top. id reccomend getting a 19 3/4" x6" window pane from home depot, they can cut it for you there. therell be no serivvec charge. it will cost you under 6 bux. as for heat, yea u will have it with two 36 watters. as for top off, im selling IV drips that add water to your tank slowly. they are baseically like hte kent aquadose, only im selling em for 5 bux as opposed to the 30 dollars kent is charging. hth

nishant

Nish, I think even cheaper than getting the small pieces of window pane, you can get a 20x12 for $3. Cutting it down to 19.75x8.5 will do the trick nicely.

Maybe our glass prices are different, but that's what I've found here.

Matthew

I like my 2 x 36 watters over my 10-gallon tank. :P

I use plexiglass so I can cut it to fit perfectly around all of my hardware. I think my skimmer makes up for the lost gas exchange.

I have a piece of eggcrate supporting the lights on my 10g tank. It's 33 squares x 16 squares, which fits perfectly on the ledge of the support frame and gives a little space at the back to run the cords through. The whole sheet of egg crate was about $7, and I "cut" the piece with angle snips, then used a rasp/file to smooth the edges.

Archived