Pod Your Reef

alfieFIVE - 5g Pico Build

alfiefive

Very nice alfie, I cant believe I missed your tank until now! Are you running your strips full time during the day? just curious if you are breaking the colors up into cycles or all on and then all off?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice alfie, I cant believe I missed your tank until now! Are you running your strips full time during the day? just curious if you are breaking the colors up into cycles or all on and then all off?

Thanks for commenting, I've been posting all over your thread for a while now! :D Had the mods move my post into this forum since I think it is more appropriate.

I'm still cycling and not worrying about a more complicated lighting cycle. ATM I am just running actinics all the time and the remainder of the lights on a two part on/off cycle. I need one more power supply and/or one more splitter to make a more complicated light cycle work. If you're working with the eco strips I think you understand how one missing piece makes a complicated cycle impossible.

I want a dawn/dusk implemented but until I get more equipment, namely another power supply for my full 12k, I will just do actinics all the time and a cycle for the remainder of the lights.

Like you, I'm getting a LOT of green hair algae and will pick up some chaeto when I grab my water replacements this weekend. I'm still hovering a pinch above zero for ammonia so I'll wait a little longer on the CUC. Although things are getting pretty hairy in here.

Day 26 update. My tank is really hairy. In three days the rock has become covered in a ton GHA. I have been doing only RODI topoffs and occasional SW topoffs to adjust salinity over the past few months. All my water and rock is premixed RODI from my LFS.

SG - 1.025

PH - 8.0

Ammonia - 0 - 0.25

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5

Ca - 480

DKH - 7.5

Phos - need to have LFS test for this, have a test kit incoming

Closeup of the GHA:

vYE65.jpg

I it is still too early to put anything alive aside from some macro in my tank. From my research, I will reduce the daytime lighting cycle and add chaeto to starve the GHA and have my LFS test the water. I'd imagine the rock & tank size is helping the GHA to grow. I may be mistaken: any advice regarding reducing GHA overgrowth towards the end of a cycle is appreciated ("deal with it" is also fine advice :)).

Also starting to brainstorm about what type of CUC would be appropriate for a 5g tank. The front face of the rock is a relatively steep slope with several 1" or so lips where the "knees" and "shoulder" of the rock are. Share an opinion if you have one. Thanks N-R :D

doppelganger

is there any reason why you have the lights on at all? are you trying to keep anything alive? I would just cut the lights totally then.

Unfortunately manual removal probably works best with GHA. Every day just kinda go in there and remove a few clumps. It's a pain but will help. I find a tooth brush works pretty well if u just spin it in there. Once u get CUC they'll help as well but probably wont' go after the really really long strands. Thus ripping some out.

is there any reason why you have the lights on at all? are you trying to keep anything alive? I would just cut the lights totally then.

Unfortunately manual removal probably works best with GHA. Every day just kinda go in there and remove a few clumps. It's a pain but will help. I find a tooth brush works pretty well if u just spin it in there. Once u get CUC they'll help as well but probably wont' go after the really really long strands. Thus ripping some out.

There is nothing alive that is visible to the naked eye or that didn't come on the live rock. When I researched lighting during cycling I found a few different schools of thought and chose the one that leaned towards keeping a light cycle going while cycling the tank to reduce die-off. The idea would be that I would starve the GHA with chaeto in the lighted tank to promote good things growing (if GHA can grow, so can some chaeto, right?). I see no apparent harm in killing them until I can hit up my LFS for a chunk of the good green stuff.

I will prune. A lot. Stuff is ugly. The photos don't really do it justice. And it smells :P Thanks :D

NUWildcat928
Day 26 update. My tank is really hairy. In three days the rock has become covered in a ton GHA. I have been doing only RODI topoffs and occasional SW topoffs to adjust salinity over the past few months. All my water and rock is premixed RODI from my LFS.

SG - 1.025

PH - 8.0

Ammonia - 0 - 0.25

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5

Ca - 480

DKH - 7.5

Phos - need to have LFS test for this, have a test kit incoming

Nice build. I just started a pico recently too, only on day 3 or so of cycling though. I'm a little confused about your parameters - with those numbers, wouldn't it be okay to add a CUC at this time?

Nice build. I just started a pico recently too, only on day 3 or so of cycling though. I'm a little confused about your parameters - with those numbers, wouldn't it be okay to add a CUC at this time?

I am still showing some trace ammonia. If I could post the spreadsheet I keep of all my levels over the past few weeks, you'd see things aren't as stable as they should be yet :P

So hairy! :scarry:

I will post update pics tomorrow... Did some picking today. Hands smell like crap now. Can't wait to see what my filter floss looks like. ><

Drift Monkey
I will post update pics tomorrow... Did some picking today. Hands smell like crap now. Can't wait to see what my filter floss looks like. ><

Your efforts will be worth it! ;)

Your efforts will be worth it! ;)

Here we go. Close up of the spot I pictured before, and a quick FTS showing all the GHA I removed. Hand picked it all, then moved the left stone a little closer to the center because that was the only place I couldn't mag-float around. Figure it was best to move it now and never move it again :D There is still a gap between the two that should be sufficient for something to hide in considering the size of whatever it would be in a tank like this :D

Seeing some interesting red and pink and purple spots popping up on the back side of the big rock and throughout the tank. Will keep an eye on them. Hopefully something good. Found an aptasia on the back of the rock, too, and injected it with a drop of lemon juice (literally one drop, at the advice of some other posters here) then removed the remains.

I'd post pics of the filter floss these past few days but want to let you keep your lunch. Water is a bit cloudy from moving the lower-right rock.

Ammonia hit the closest to zero I've ever seen so hopefully that will stay the same and I can CUC in a week or two. Looking for advice on non-crab clean up crew in a small tank with a large near-vertical face.

qRu5e.jpg

ekGXR.jpg

Going to go ahead and post a screenshot of my parameter log. I figure it might be helpful for anyone doing a similar project/beginning a cycle to see what the key stuff is looking like. I track other parameters (ca, ph, pho), but didn't include them because I don't think they're essential to understand a tank cycle.

The week header is technically a "days" header. I used to format the numbers differently (1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, etc.) but forgot to change the header.

fQG9E.jpg

NUWildcat928
Going to go ahead and post a screenshot of my parameter log. I figure it might be helpful for anyone doing a similar project/beginning a cycle to see what the key stuff is looking like. I track other parameters (ca, ph, pho), but didn't include them because I don't think they're essential to understand a tank cycle.

The week header is technically a "days" header. I used to format the numbers differently (1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, etc.) but forgot to change the header.

fQG9E.jpg

That was awesome. Very helpful. I guess I know what I have to look forward to. Strange that you never had any nitrites, not really sure what that means, but with steadily dropping ammonia things are looking good.

That was awesome. Very helpful. I guess I know what I have to look forward to. Strange that you never had any nitrites, not really sure what that means, but with steadily dropping ammonia things are looking good.

Agreed re: nitrites. I've read other people here saying that you'll never see them during a cycle. Even if everything is functioning correctly, my suspicion is that my nitrates haven't gone above 5 because other things are using them (like the GHA).

Drift Monkey
Looking for advice on non-crab clean up crew in a small tank with a large near-vertical face.

The standard fair of small snails and such should do the job.

Reef cleaners actually has a quick crew specifically setup for picos and 5 gallons. They would be your best bet IMO. They have a great product and John is just an amazing guy to deal with anyways.

Plus they're cheap.

Just got back from the LFS. Water is testing PERFECTLY :D

Note to self: API Ammonia Test Kit's "yellow" is closer to green. I've been sitting at zero for a little longer than I thought.

Threw some chaeto into the tank and pods are blasting every where.

Drift Monkey
Just got back from the LFS. Water is testing PERFECTLY :D

Note to self: API Ammonia Test Kit's "yellow" is closer to green. I've been sitting at zero for a little longer than I thought.

Threw some chaeto into the tank and pods are blasting every where.

I've had that issue before with the API Kit. You might wanna check the expiration date too...

So I swung by the LFS and had my water tested again. Everything is still crytal clear, so I decided to pick up a few snails to see if they'll live. I'll upgrade to a full CUC after that.

They are three margarita snails. I made a mistake I promised myself I would never make, which is to buy anything for my tank without researching it first. They didn't have any dwarf ceriths, which I was initially planning to pick up in addition to another cerith/nerite (out of those too, they stock inverts today, which I just found out). Anyways, these margarita snails are temperate snails commonly sold in LFSs as acceptable in tropical tanks. They prefer water that is 50-60F, and can acclimate to about 78F. My tank is 78F-82F depending on the time of day (nights are hot). The temperature increase boosts their metabolism and they eventually die early in a tropical environment. They will probably live for a while but this little paragraph is about a lesson I learned when I first started reefing and a lesson that I ignored yesterday: DON'T BUY SOMETHING IF YOU DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT IT! EVEN IF IT WINKS AT YOU AND IS GORGEOUS!

Now that I've got that off my chest I don't feel so stupid about it. Mistakes happen. My tank is not going to explode.

Anyways, that was my rant. I'm done beating myself up over the purchase, and when I go back to the LFS to complete my CUC I may bring these guys back with me. Or I may observe them to see how long a margarita snail will last in a 5g pico, so that others who make the same mistake can have some anecdotal evidence.

For the time being, they are very young snails, fun to watch, extremely attractive, and covered in nice coraline that could seed to my tank. On a totally superficial note that ignores everything else in this post, they're totally active and appear to be doing GREAT. I'll focus on the silver lining until it's time for escargot :D

FTS 3/26/2011

GHA has stopped advancing with the addition of the chaeto. I'm keeping it in a little ball with a bit of fishing line in the center of the clump. Have an acrylic structure incoming so that I can put it in something.

SHR0r.jpg

Drift Monkey

Nice, chaeto power baby! :haha:

Re: snails, LFS' regulary sell many temperate climate snails so it's definitely something to keep an eye on. Last time I had my tank up and running, I had snails that were aqua cultured and readily reproduced in our tanks. Something you could look into...I know I am (again).

Nice, chaeto power baby! :haha:

The chaeto has grown by at least 1/3 since yesterday. O.O It's amazing how many pods (copa- and amphi- it has deposited into my tank; it's like a whole new breed of water going on in here). In addition to it CLEARLY starving GHA growth, the margaritas are actually eating the shorter GHA, something I didn't trust them to do when I purchased them. Depending on how the GHA growth continues I am considering an emerald as part of my CUC. Since it is such a small tank and there will be very limited livestock present, it will be fun to watch. I need to think about the potential for it to destroy anything else in the tank, first. Also, the potential for nursing it on pellets to acclimate its diet and the potential for me to forget feeding it such that it attacks something I wouldn't like it to.

Seems like a high risk, albeit very interesting, CUC member that would thrive if my tank keeps producing a slower-growth/less invasive GHA.

Re: snails, LFS' regulary sell many temperate climate snails so it's definitely something to keep an eye on. Last time I had my tank up and running, I had snails that were aqua cultured and readily reproduced in our tanks. Something you could look into...I know I am (again).

TBQH I did a ton of research on my CUC and when I went into the LFS to just buy some chaeto I miraculously walked out with the only snails they had. Something to say for why it's important to bring a list of what you want a reminder for why you don't want anything else!

I felt like I had crashed my tank when I returned and researched, but I think it's far from the case. These guys will probably live longer than my type-A self is thinking at the moment.

Lesson learned, and we'll see how far they go.

I think I will drop some dwarf ceriths to get into the smaller spots on my rock, a nass, and an emerald crab and be done with the CUC. I'd like to have an interesting CUC member because in a 5g there isn't much to look at anyways (if ANY, I will get one fish). My LFS just got a bunch of emeralds in and hopefully I can find one with dull, useless claws that can be the dunce of my fishtank and fail to kill anything I care about :D

Not necessarily. I'll finish up the CUC next week and think about it from now until then.

Drift Monkey
The chaeto has grown by at least 1/3 since yesterday. O.O It's amazing how many pods (copa- and amphi- it has deposited into my tank; it's like a whole new breed of water going on in here). In addition to it CLEARLY starving GHA growth, the margaritas are actually eating the shorter GHA, something I didn't trust them to do when I purchased them. Depending on how the GHA growth continues I am considering an emerald as part of my CUC. Since it is such a small tank and there will be very limited livestock present, it will be fun to watch. I need to think about the potential for it to destroy anything else in the tank, first. Also, the potential for nursing it on pellets to acclimate its diet and the potential for me to forget feeding it such that it attacks something I wouldn't like it to.

Seems like a high risk, albeit very interesting, CUC member that would thrive if my tank keeps producing a slower-growth/less invasive GHA.

Geez, already that much huh? Looks like you got a premo piece to chaeto, pods rock!

In my own experience, emeralds are hit or miss. I've had some in my past tanks that seemed to be quite well behaved, but I've read horror stories too so...

If you think GHA will continue to be a problem for you...it may be a possibly solution...although I'd think the chaeto will take care of it all on it's own.

TBQH I did a ton of research on my CUC and when I went into the LFS to just buy some chaeto I miraculously walked out with the only snails they had. Something to say for why it's important to bring a list of what you want a reminder for why you don't want anything else!

I felt like I had crashed my tank when I returned and researched, but I think it's far from the case. These guys will probably live longer than my type-A self is thinking at the moment.

Lesson learned, and we'll see how far they go.

I think I will drop some dwarf ceriths to get into the smaller spots on my rock, a nass, and an emerald crab and be done with the CUC. I'd like to have an interesting CUC member because in a 5g there isn't much to look at anyways (if ANY, I will get one fish). My LFS just got a bunch of emeralds in and hopefully I can find one with dull, useless claws that can be the dunce of my fishtank and fail to kill anything I care about :D

Not necessarily. I'll finish up the CUC next week and think about it from now until then.

Hahaha, I think we've all walked out with stuff we didn't really want/need from the LFS, I know I've been guilty. -_- If you find the smallest emerald with the smallest claws...I think you might be able to mitigate the risks. Then again it could have a Napoleon complex...:P

Archived