Pod Your Reef

Calcium/Alkalinity Craziness - Need Help

newreefguy

Hi All,

My little AGA 10 gallon nano reef has been running for about three weeks. It’s fully cycled and its only primary inhabitants right now are margarita snails, blue leg/scarlet hermits and tons of pods. I plan to add a small striped cleaner shrimp this weekend.

I want to kick off some coralline algae growth and get my tank prepped for its first corals in a couple weeks. Naturally, I am concerned about alkalinity and calcium levels. I am about to order my Salifert AK/CA test kits but my suspicion is that the alkalinity is currently around 8dkh and my calcium is currently around 250ppm. I use Instant Ocean with DI water (AQF Tap Water Filter). Seachem Prime is added to be safe.

My plan of action is this. I am going to use Seachem Reef Complete to get my calcium level up to about 400ppm and then use C-Balance to balance and maintain the alkalinity and calcium.

Does that sound like a good way to go? Are there any better options? There are SO many supplements and additives on the market today that it is a little overwhelming to a newcomer like me. ??? Thanks for any advice. I love this site! :)

Ryan

Reefer_Buddha

id use bionic for the ca/alk stability. I use the seachem reef complete, good stuff. If you want good coralline growth you need to introduce it to the system with a frag that already has some on it. Scrape the coralline near a powerhead and it will spread around.

Korbins hit that one on the nose, simple is better, I recently purchased a product that a friend has been using with great success, it is called KENT Liquid reactor, it replaces alot, and is a bottled replacement for a calcium reactor. I had problems with Ca/Alk 2 days ago, I brought the Ca up w/ this stuff, and i brought the Alk up with baking soda 1/5 tsp in a 10 will bring you up ~3KH you can run between 8 and 11, things really grow well at 11, and it gives you some leeway with your dosing of something like b-ionic in the long run. I'm trying to stay away from b-ionic and do my own thing. (dose reactor and baking soda) but b-ionic has many succeses around the boards.

-=chris=-

Calcium should be around 400-450ppm. You should also check out your magnesium level. Magnesium (should be 1300-1500ppm) helps the calcium be used by various organisms by making it "more available" (prevents calcium from precipitating out as CaCo3).

Archived