Cultivated Reef

My 40B

gabe_j

Wow tanks looks awesome. No sump? whats the water change schedule like? Love what you have done seriously tank is awesome.

thanks man, nah i'm not rolling with a sump. just a media reactor for the carbon and filter floss. i think its ok could be alot better.

Nice set up Gabe / tank looks great.

thank you.

yea they make take a few days to get around to i'm building an led array for a friend. but after that sure why not.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i'm been crazy busy at the office man. i'll get you a reactor pic sooner or later.

now for a piss poor update, my huge nem decided it wanted to go for a walk. we went half way across the tank slide through a few rocks for a couple of days. then settled into a powerhead at night. total losses were

16-18" rbta $200+

4xx5" blue green tenuis colony $175

5" round rainbow acro $300

3.5x4" lokani $100

2x2 setosa $75ish

(damaged my "doomsday" chalice) 2 eyes.

and almost killed my bg mummy eye. all thats left there is 1 eye that some how didn't totally die off but i'm still worried about it.

i think thats it. point of the story is F*CK anemones. i learned my lesson and i'll probably never buy another one. especially if its already 8" across the disk and then doubles in size with out splitting. i am not a happy camper.

chrisjj625

Wow man sorry to hear about your loss. No worries about the pictures, work is a little more important lol.

• 1 month later...
chucktdbm321

haven't been a regular for awhile now i got a little toy back up and that super blows about the nem... That why i never ventured into the nem world those things aren't worth it at all imo. Nice pics to bro

• 3 months later...

hey guys i recently got the chance to take a par meter to my tank and get it dialed in. apparently these leds are WAY brighter than i thought here's the post meter numbers. maxed out its quite a bit higher. in some spots i was getting 350 at the bottom. thanks goes out to Mad_devil1 for the par meter.

1-6.jpg

if you notice that the readings are higher in the middle of the tank towards the bottom it is because i have the rocks pushed slightly back to let more light in to fill in the parts that would otherwise not be as bright. thanks for looking!

oh it goes much higher lol i was getting several hundred PAR at the floor when i just eyeballed the lighting. but at some point i'm sure i'll start adding more light demanding corals... after i find a nice h. magnifica ritteri my wholesalers can get them but i don't want a whole box of stuff unless i can't find it anywhere else i'll probably just go through them.

whats recommended for sps 500+ or more? the highest i can get the 2 points at the top of the rocks is about 1000 or so, but thats maxing out both sets of leds. and keeping the same hight. i could get more if i dropped the leds to 6" off the water. but thats not going to be for a while i'm waiting on some more equipment upgrades.

• 2 months later...

just a quick update, i've finally stopped losing corals after that anemone and now this damn hydroid problem i've been pretty hung up on. is driving me nuts. all my parameters are in check, low nutrients, still have these damn hydroids.

but i've been playing around with leds and started incorporating different colors like true violet from led group buy. here's what i've got going on so far.

7-3.jpg

6-4.jpg

1-7.jpg

night,

4-4.jpg

day,

8-4.jpg

and the whole set up...

3-6.jpg

Archived