Cultivated Reef

bubbles in tank and algae help

Adzski

hello reefers

my problem is that i have bubbles coming out of my sand bed sticking to my rock and fish and where ever there are bubbles there is mass amounts of algae, and when i clean the algae and the bubbles, say the next day after i return from school there will be #### loads of bubbles and algae every where.

i have provided pictures. do any of you recognize this have you had it before? what are ways i can get rid of it.

and also if you think if something is wrong with my water i will provide water parameters if needed.

post-62688-1298508818_thumb.png

post-62688-1298508845_thumb.png

post-62688-1298508867_thumb.png

post-62688-1298508893_thumb.png

i tested my water here are the results

pH- 8.0 ive read that baking soda can raise the pH i will pick some up tonight.

Ammonia- 0 ppm

Nitrite (No2)- 0 ppm

Nitrate (No3)- i believe from the comparison i made on the chart it is 0 ppm but that is bad yes i will take a photo and you's can give me a second opinion. what are ways i can raise it from what i read this is low?

post-62688-1298514975_thumb.png

It might be cyano bacteria on your sand bed. As it grows it will produce bubbles/ gases. I believe your test will read 0 because the bacteria is consuming all of the nutrients. If your tank is young this will be just part of your cycle, but if your tank is mature you will need to check the water you are using for water changes.

It might be cyano bacteria on your sand bed. As it grows it will produce bubbles/ gases. I believe your test will read 0 because the bacteria is consuming all of the nutrients. If your tank is young this will be just part of your cycle, but if your tank is mature you will need to check the water you are using for water changes.

the tank is about 3-4 months old

Yea looks like cyano, what kind of water are you using for top offs and water changes? Tap water or RO? Also, how much flow do you have going on there?

Yea looks like cyano, what kind of water are you using for top offs and water changes? Tap water or RO? Also, how much flow do you have going on there?

i use tap water for top offs but i put dechlorinator and it also removes ammonia on the bottle it says complete water treatment and i also use thing called stability. but i have one of those things where it holds the water bottle and chills the water, the water we use in that is spring water should i use that cause that water is super clean?

and for water changes i just buy saltwater from the lfs they just grab it out of the ocean, i really cant be bothered mixing.

and for flow i have a 350 litres per hour power head and the tank is a 10 gallon which is about 36 litres

Well, my guess is the tap water your using to top off with is more than likely whats causing the cyano. The saltwater your buying Im sure is fine. You should really stay away from using tap water as it could have all kinds of unknowns in it even copper in some cases which is a no go. What you could do since you have a small size tank is buy ro/di water from your fish store. Most places sell it for cheap and use that to top off with. It also wouldn't hurt to have a little more flow depending on what your keeping in there.

ye i might actually pick up a another one tomorrow and bubbles are stuck to my clowns skin will these go away or do i have to treat it?

Are you sure there bubbles? Its hard for me to tell in the pic. It could be parisites called Ich, hopefully not. Do they look like little white dots or actual micro bubbles?

Are you sure there bubbles? Its hard for me to tell in the pic. It could be parisites called Ich, hopefully not. Do they look like little white dots or actual micro bubbles?

i think it looks more like bubbles ill leave the light off for cpl days but should i do a FW dip and start treating it now just in-case it is ich?

my reason for not thinking it is ich is that due to the bubles coming from the DSB and they go upto the top of the water and the clown goes up there quiet abit.

Hey I bought my new tank it's a 37gallon finally made my

Mind up anyway sadly I lost my two clowns to ich :( and I'm moving my rock to the new tank soon and I bought new sand so would the rock bring the ich to the new tank?

Archived