inTank Media Baskets

Yellowtail Damsel in Fluval Edge?

jnelson

Been a few days since I got the diatom bloom in my cycling Fluval Edge so I added my CUC. Figure it's about time to start looking into other livestock.

Here's the tank parameters so far.

- PH: 8.2

- Ammonia: 0ppm

- Nitrites: 0ppm

- Nitrates: 10ppm

- Temp: 74-76 F

- Approx. 5-6 lbs. LR, 1-2 lbs. sand

- Lighting is 8x CREE LEDs (4 blue, 4 white)

- Everything else is stock. Filter is running floss, carbon and Fluval BioMax.

Livestock:

- 2 red leg hermits

- 2 astrea snails

- 1 hitchhiker snail (small, maybe a cerith?)

- Might add a cleaner shrimp

I've been partial to the yellowtail damsels that I've seen at my LFS. They're all on the smaller side (maybe 3/4" - 1" max?) so I'm hoping size won't be a factor. It will be by itself so its aggressive personality shouldn't be an issue. The fact that my LFS sells them cheap, and that they're healthy and eating, is also great. Would one of these be suitable for my tank?

x2 on the damsel ...1 being better than 2 since they can be extremely territorial.

yeah, i think 1-2 would be good in your tank as long as theres no other fish in there.

Do damsels tend to be aggressive towards the CUC members? I'd really like to add that cleaner shrimp but only if the damsel won't be attacking the poor thing, haha.

i dont know about the shrimp, i had a 3 stripe damsel that ate my harlequin shrimp the night i put it in the tank. needless to say hes long gone.

my yellow tail is not aggressive at all. my clown, on the other hand, needs to stop biting my hand every time i go in there or he's gone...

that happens ): try messing with the scape. or throw him in another tank if possible.

that happens ): try messing with the scape. or throw him in another tank if possible.

yea, lol, every time i've got my hands in there i'm messing with the scape :) i catch him in an oversized net and let him be in time out, but man those little nips hurt when you're not expecting them heh

My damsel seems to be Okay with my peppermint shrimp. he gets upset with my syphon rod when I am prodding the rocks. I got mine because he beat the slag out of another yellow tail damsel pair. got sentanced to the sump then shipped to my home.

animalmaster6

The damsel would be fine in a Fulval Edge. They aren't aggressive towards snails and hermit crabs but they are very aggressive towards other fishes. You wouldn't be able to add any other fish if you ever want to.

yellowtail damsels are one of the least aggressive of the damsels, if not the least. IME they're a bit nippy towards things that look like them (other damsels, clowns, cardinals, the like) in small tanks, but in larger tanks, they wont really bother anybody. they could care less about shrimp, crabs, etc.

a single one would do fine in a fluval edge; I'd stick to one though, due partly to their rather testy demeanor and partly to the size of the tank.

The damsel would be fine in a Fulval Edge. They aren't aggressive towards snails and hermit crabs but they are very aggressive towards other fishes. You wouldn't be able to add any other fish if you ever want to.

i disagree. YT's aren't all that agressive.

yellowtail damsels are one of the least aggressive of the damsels, if not the least. IME they're a bit nippy towards things that look like them (other damsels, clowns, cardinals, the like) in small tanks, but in larger tanks, they wont really bother anybody. they could care less about shrimp, crabs, etc.

a single one would do fine in a fluval edge; I'd stick to one though, due partly to their rather testy demeanor and partly to the size of the tank.

i agree wholeheartedly.

animalmaster6
i disagree. YT's aren't all that agressive.

In a tank as small as this it would be aggressive. Especially towards a small goby. Remember the Fluval Edge is a very small tank.

michelleshusband
this

I think I got lucky. I have 10 gallon with 2.5 refugium with 1 yellowtail and 1 clownfish. They seem to be minding their own business. I also got fire shrimp and various CUC. Damsel never touched any of them and actually shares a cave with fire shrimp.

In a tank as small as this it would be aggressive. Especially towards a small goby. Remember the Fluval Edge is a very small tank.

i apologize, i forgot how small the tanks were. in my 28 and in my 90 before that, my YT is quite a nice fish to have, and hasn't shown aggression to newer members of the reef.

i'm running a bc29 with a yellowtail damsel, a false perc, a rainford & a shrimp goby. the yellowtail will sometimes nip at the gobies but most times they get a long very well. even when he goes to nip at them he only does it once or twice, he won't constantly harass them. and it's not the 'aggressive' type of nip (if that makes any sense). i have however noticed that he nips less the more he's fed. i also have a nassarius and 2 ceriths - i've NEVER seen him go at any of them.

Archived