Coral Vue Hydros

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love your planted :flower:

Thank you, Jordan. I love yours too :flower:

Cool! I've never tried planted freshwater, my cichlids would tear it up in about a minute <_<

Start a new one just for plants ;)

Mine has nothing in it except for some hairgrass! :tears: Hopefully that changes soon fingerscrossed

Yes, but I can see it's potential. It's going to be super awesome :happy:

nevermore1701
Start a new one just for plants ;)

No no no no NOOOO!

I'm down to two. From 7 (or was it 8?). IF I was to start another tank, it would be a pico reef. Something in the 2-3 gallon range, glass, AC70 w/inTank basket, PAR30..... Yeah, I've been thinking about it lately. First I need to get LEDs for my NC12 and stock it a bit more though.

Gena that planted looks amazing! I can't believe how fast they are filling in for you!

Congrats on the spawn too! Free food is awesome! And I bet you get that algae under control, If I can beat the GHA and Suspended algae you can beat yours!

No no no no NOOOO!

I'm down to two. From 7 (or was it 8?). IF I was to start another tank, it would be a pico reef. Something in the 2-3 gallon range, glass, AC70 w/inTank basket, PAR30..... Yeah, I've been thinking about it lately. First I need to get LEDs for my NC12 and stock it a bit more though.

That was a lot of tanks!!!!! I would have so many more if I was a single lady on my own :lol: The voice of reason keeps me balanced now (probably a very good thing!!!!). He always does know best :)

Your pico sounds like a great idea. Get the picotope...it's very well made. N-R member, Glazer, makes a custom lid for it. Mine is on the way :)

Gena that planted looks amazing! I can't believe how fast they are filling in for you!

Congrats on the spawn too! Free food is awesome! And I bet you get that algae under control, If I can beat the GHA and Suspended algae you can beat yours!

Thanks, Randi. The plants are growing really fast. Unfortunately the crypt is being slow. I read it takes them a while to get settled in though and many people lose them right away. I'm just happy they are living and thriving. I do see some growth on them, just not a lot.

Oh...and I have no doubt I will beat this algae. I can already see improvent by using distilled!!!!!!!

--------

Thank you, Joel :flower:

Pulled a dead trochus snail out last night. I'm telling you...that was such a lame order from RC!!!!! I'm only sticking to ceriths with him.

I did see one dwarf cowrie cruising this morning before the lights turned on. I guess they only come out at night.

I'm noticing a HUGE difference by using distilled water. Whatever was in my 8TDS RO water affected the tank. Everything has great polyp extension and just looks so happy now that I'm using distilled (0 TDS) water. If you are reading this and are using any water with any measurable TDS...seriously, give distilled a try. I bet you will notice a difference, like I have!!!!!

surgicalsense
Pulled a dead trochus snail out last night. I'm telling you...that was such a lame order from RC!!!!! I'm only sticking to ceriths with him.

I did see one dwarf cowrie cruising this morning before the lights turned on. I guess they only come out at night.

I'm noticing a HUGE difference by using distilled water. Whatever was in my 8TDS RO water affected the tank. Everything has great polyp extension and just looks so happy now that I'm using distilled (0 TDS) water. If you are reading this and are using any water with any measurable TDS...seriously, give distilled a try. I bet you will notice a difference, like I have!!!!!

Excellent news with the water difference. I can't wait to see the difference :)

nevermore1701

Sorry about your RC order, the order I got Thursday has been perfect so far!

I'm glad you're seeing good results with distilled, I'm a huge believer!

Sorry about your RC order, the order I got Thursday has been perfect so far!

I'm glad you're seeing good results with distilled, I'm a huge believer!

Have you decided to just stick with distilled and mixing your own?

That's what I'm going to do now. I have an RO system set up under my kitchen sink for drinking water. We wouldn't be able to drink it if I put a DI thing on it. Unless I get another system for my laundry room sink...for now I'm sticking with the distilled. I just bought 10 gallons of distilled at Target yesterday :)

nevermore1701
Have you decided to just stick with distilled and mixing your own?

That's what I'm going to do now. I have an RO system set up under my kitchen sink for drinking water. We wouldn't be able to drink it if I put a DI thing on it. Unless I get another system for my laundry room sink...for now I'm sticking with the distilled. I just bought 10 gallons of distilled at Target yesterday :)

Yeah, I'm going to stick with mixing my own with distilled. It's worked for over a year now, no reason to mess with it.

Sticking to distilled is fine until you need to purchase 5-10 gallons at a time per water change - and then you also need to add 1 gallon a day for top off :-/

nevermore1701

I do a 4 gallon change weekly, distilled is still ok. Then again I have 0 evap, so that helps :D

When I eventually get a bigger reef tank, I'll definitely need to get an RO/DI setup.

If I had a big tank like you trog, I would definitely have my own RODI system!

I'm still doing my 2 changes a week (5 gallons total), but hoping once I get the nutrient issue under control, I can go back to 1 change a week. That won't be any hassle to buy distilled for.

I have barely any evaporation as well, since I put the plastic light guard (can't remember what you call it) back on the hood. Temps. aren't staying as cool though.

Guess what...

My lavender lace duncan is growing new heads! Its still nowhere near big enough to frag, but at least its growing quickly. Once it gets big enough to frag, you'll get first dibs :D

Guess what...

My lavender lace duncan is growing new heads! Its still nowhere near big enough to frag, but at least its growing quickly. Once it gets big enough to frag, you'll get first dibs :D

:happydance:

I can surely make space for THAT!!!!!!

YAY for 0 TDS water!

Can't wait to see a new FTS!

I know..... :happydance: <---- the 0 TDS dance :lol:

_______

Something spawned in my tank again!!!!!!!! I wish I knew what it was!!!!!! Everybody is going nuts for it, including the fire fish and gobies this time. I LOVE free food :)

What do you keep your temperature at? Mine stays right at 79.

I recently dropped the controller to hold it at 81, but now with the light guard in place I have no evaporative cooling. By the end of the light cycle it sits at 82.2.

I figured it out...it's pom pom crab eggs they are going crazy for!!!!!! I need to google how the whole egg thing works with them. It would be beyond cool to raise the babies!

surgicalsense
I figured it out...it's pom pom crab eggs they are going crazy for!!!!!! I need to google how the whole egg thing works with them. It would be beyond cool to raise the babies!

Oh wow! That is really cool.

That would be so awesome! Let us know if you're going to try it!

Archived