SaltCritters.com

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm you should get a phosphate kit. And a reactor would help a lot - I can't remember the nano reactor I saw....hmmm wait nvm it was saphire aquatics who's now out of business.

nevermore1701
Hmmm you should get a phosphate kit. And a reactor would help a lot - I can't remember the nano reactor I saw....hmmm wait nvm it was saphire aquatics who's now out of business.

Any DIY type reactors out there that would fit a stock NC12? Sounds like something I wouldn't mind doing.

Hey, can you measure your chamber where your media rack is? Length x width x depth? I got spare parts laying around I may be able to put a reactor together for you to replace your media rack.

That would be nice, wouldn't it? I just don't know where I'd put the pump!!!!! My media basket would probably have to go. Not a biggie, except I like my chaeto at the bottom.

nevermore1701
Hey, can you measure your chamber where your media rack is? Length x width x depth? I got spare parts laying around I may be able to put a reactor together for you to replace your media rack.

Would the middle chamber not be a better place for her to put it?

I can make it a shortie and cheato could go on top, pump could go in the same chamber as the return pump with the reactor feed like going over the bridge between the two chambers, outlet of reactor on top will cause cheato to tumble on top of it. Its an idea - let me know, PM me the dimensions and some pictures of the media chamber and return chamber. Like I said its spare parts(an aquaclear10 pump) and a diy reactor I made for the chi. It may work for you.

Nevermore I am not sure of the layouts of your guys tank - but I am willing to work with her and figure out a solution that works for her

Before I doing any drastic changes, I want to wait and see if my new routine can conquer this algae. If you're still willing to put together a reactor for me in 6-8 months of no changes, I'd be eternally grateful :lol:

Baha...ok :secretly goes and does his own research on nanocube12: don't be surprised if you end up with a reactor on your door one of these days...haha <---I have so much equipment I don't use its better when it goes to someone that will/can use it

You guys are so sweet! I just really want to wait and try to get this algae under control. I'm thinking of switching to distilled water instead. I think my reef cleaner snail population is stabilizing as well, so once the die-off is done, the water quality is under control, and the feeding proportions are in balance...the algae will subside. I still want some for my GBGs, just not as much ;)

You guys just saying that is win enough for me :flower:

Thanks, msscha!!!!! They are sooo much fun to watch. They were being more chummy this morning too fingerscrossed

Hravanii....I would totally recommend you get some, except I don't know how the jawfish would respond either :scarry:

Your tank gets better with each update!!!! If you wait till everythings perfect, you'll be to old, like me! So.... I say go for TOTM!!!!!

Your tank gets better with each update!!!! If you wait till everythings perfect, you'll be to old, like me! So.... I say go for TOTM!!!!!

Haven't you heard?????? I'm already old :lol: Course, next to you, I'm a young thing :P Visit my thread more often, k? ;)

Baha...ok :secretly goes and does his own research on nanocube12: don't be surprised if you end up with a reactor on your door one of these days...haha <---I have so much equipment I don't use its better when it goes to someone that will/can use it

;)

I just got my 4 gallons of RO from the machine. I think it's actually RODI...I was reading the machine and it's RO with Ultraviolet something or other. Can't remember exactly. We're supposed to be getting a Walmart here, perhaps I'll buy a gallon of distilled just to test it and see.

I just tested this water at 6. They must have recently cleaned it. The highest I've measured it has been 8. I really need a phosphate test kit.

nevermore1701
;)

I just got my 4 gallons of RO from the machine. I think it's actually RODI...I was reading the machine and it's RO with Ultraviolet something or other. Can't remember exactly. We're supposed to be getting a Walmart here, perhaps I'll buy a gallon of distilled just to test it and see.

I just tested this water at 6. They must have recently cleaned it. The highest I've measured it has been 8. I really need a phosphate test kit.

Has to be just RO, RODI should be 0 TDS.

Your FW tank is getting awesome so fast! I love how serene it looks. Also, I'm insanely jealous of that rainbow colored ric garden you now have.

Man that Sunny D is growing! When you have a big enough colony to frag and I have enough Valentine's Day Massacres to frag, I'll trade you :D

That 6 tds could be anything - however there are a few things we can eliminate.

*Heavy metals(you'd see problems with your livestock such as lessions around mouth, gills, anus. Or with copper/zinc a problem with inverts such as exoskeleton melting/pitting or just plain dying)

*Dirt/dust(usually in the 20+ micron range so to big to pass through ro membrane or pre-sediment filter)

Which leaves:

*Carbon based life form die off from uv sterilization (this in essence will be like carbon dosing on a small scale, which could be bad if your not running a skimmer, however it will increase your bacteria/microfauna population slightly)

*Nitrogen based compounds(ammonia, nitrites, nitrates - any of these are bad, nitrates are the most common)

*Phosphorus(increased algae growth - unremoved biproduct from waste in water treatment facilities, could also come from carbon life form die off from the uv sterilization)

*Silicates(increased algae growth - comes from water treatment facilities that use a form of fiberglass filtration)

*Other trace elements - which have little to no effect on growth of carbon based life forms as most of the elements that effect organic matter were removed by the micron or ro membrane

If you get a phosphate test kit - get a high resolution low range kit such as salifert/redsea(measures in the 0-2ppm range) vs cheaper kits that measure 0-5 or 0-10ppm, which doesn't tell you much at all because anything lower then 0.25 doesn't show up as anything

Haven't you heard?????? I'm already old :lol: Course, next to you, I'm a young thing :P Visit my thread more often, k? ;)

I check out your thread everytime I'm on here cause its lovely. BTW, I'm old enough to be yer daddy!

Haha I think spiro just wants a lady to call him daddy hahaha..

Remember, I'm a nurse, I've worked with and for women all my life, most of them called me daddy at some point!!

surgicalsense
Remember, I'm a nurse, I've worked with and for women all my life, most of them called me daddy at some point!!

Oh geesh, I also dealt with Dr, medics, and blah blah ... those are the nurses call all the men daddy. Specially the fire flies.

Archived