Top Shelf Aquatics

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Woohoo!!!!!! Tailspot Blenny is drip acclimating as I type :happydance:

He's got his "you can't see me, I'm invisible" colors on right now....

tailspotacclim.jpg

And a picture of Squirt and the shroom:

squirtandshroom.jpg

I'll I have to say is that little Squirt better behave when I put the blenny in (he needs a name!!!!) or I will be one unhappy mommy!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Petey!

pete.jpg

pete2.jpg

His current hidey hole:

petehole.jpg

You can't see me :P

pete3.jpg

Getting along swimmingly :happy:

mybabies.jpg

I had nothing to fear. Squirt is very happy to have a Petey in the tank :lol:

My LFS also had a few beautiful Yellow Clown Gobies for sale. I've never seen such big ones for sale at a store before. They look plump and healthy. The owner didn't try feeding them yet, he was going to do that today. I'm going back tomorrow to see if they are eating and if so.....I'm thinking of getting one.

On a side note...I saw my pom pom crab out today. It's growing anemones! If you remember, I received him without pompoms. Well, they must have been tiny little things, or just slivers, and now they are growing. They definitely weren't there when I got him. Crazy!

Oh my gosh - a TSB!!!

*so so jealous* (and yet VERY happy for you!!!)

The tank looks awesome, gena!

Thanks, Rain!!!!! I'm so happy to have him in my tank :)

Beautiful pics gena everything looks so healthy.

Thank you so much! I'm thankful everyday for how well things are going :)

This tank is quickly becoming one of my fav tank on NR, the addition of the TSP made me luv it even more everyone should get one.

This tank is quickly becoming one of my fav tank on NR, the addition of the TSP made me luv it even more everyone should get one.

TY!!!!! Totally....everyone needs a TSB. They have so much character B)

Nice to meet you Petey...

Have you by chance met my Pete? :o

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bet there are a lot of Pete/Petey's out there. Did you name yours after Little Rascals too? Your Pete is so plump! Mine needs some plumping up :D

TY!!!!! Totally....everyone needs a TSB. They have so much character B)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bet there are a lot of Pete/Petey's out there. Did you name yours after Little Rascals too? Your Pete is so plump! Mine needs some plumping up :D

Nah, when he started looking at me like this:

IMG_3948.jpg

it just looks like a perfect pete face to me :) I've had mine for a little over a month now and hes just been great. I dont really see him eating much, and have only fed the tank twice since he has been in there, but hes noticibly plumped up since arrival.

That face looks like Jar Jar Binx to me :lol: He could have been named Binxy :D

Do you have a lot of algae in your tank? I know they like to pick at film algae. Mine's already going to town on that. I fed Squirt cyclopeeze and Petey showed no interest in that yet. I had a TSB a year ago (in a tank I took down) and it would eat Mysis.

ive hardly got any algae at all, but i suppose there is a slight film on the rocks that he pecks at pretty consistantly. I have fed my tank a couple times with a mix of flake/spectrum reef macro/spectrum reef small fish pellets. I think the small spectrum pellets might even be a tad on the large side for him(even though these things are almost a tiny as dusy)...the reef macro on the other hand IS dust, and I have seen him nom on a couple little pieces as tey floated around. By large, he is self sufficient in my tank, which is quite nice.

Beautiful tank Gena. Love the Zoa's!

Thanks, Mitch! Call me crazy, but I've had the best luck with zoas under PC lighting!

ive hardly got any algae at all, but i suppose there is a slight film on the rocks that he pecks at pretty consistantly. I have fed my tank a couple times with a mix of flake/spectrum reef macro/spectrum reef small fish pellets. I think the small spectrum pellets might even be a tad on the large side for him(even though these things are almost a tiny as dusy)...the reef macro on the other hand IS dust, and I have seen him nom on a couple little pieces as tey floated around. By large, he is self sufficient in my tank, which is quite nice.

Well he's definitely not starving. He looks great! Nice job there. I'll be keeping an eye on mine to see if the belly starts filling out. He's definitely pecking at something I can't see on my rocks. I'm assuming it's film algae. There's not much better than a self sufficient fish!!!!!!!

Petey made it through the night. I always worry about that first night. He found himself a nice secure location to spend the night in, in the big zoa rock out front. He's such a smart little guy. I'm sure he felt safe being surrounded by coral. I'm actually proud of him for picking that spot :lol: Here's the spot I'm talking about:

petehome.jpg

I went back to my LFS to check out the yellow clown gobies. He fed them in front of me. Only one ate and didn't spit it back out. I decided I just had to give it another go. Maybe 3rd times the charm (or is it the 4th time?). Hopefully she'll thrive for me. The other clown gobies have always been so tiny compared to her. I have a good feeling about this time around. Introducing, Darla:

darla.jpg

She is so healthy looking. She was in a tank with one other one that actually was even prettier. But, that one didn't eat, so I chose Darla. Right now she is spending a lot of time where you see her in the photo. Occasionally she ventures out but always returns to that spot. She even ate some cyclopeeze for me today. Not bad for a first day :happy:

edit: Yes, in naming her Darla, I was keeping in theme with the Little Rascals. My fish are my little rascals :lol:

I love the tank, one of my favorites. I have always loved TSBs too, one of my favorite fishes. I have a 12g cube and need to do a thread. I also have the same blue St Thomas shroom, finally had two babies after almost a year. We must have similar tastes. Cool peoples, I guess. :)

I love the tank, one of my favorites. I have always loved TSBs too, one of my favorite fishes. I have a 12g cube and need to do a thread. I also have the same blue St Thomas shroom, finally had two babies after almost a year. We must have similar tastes. Cool peoples, I guess. :)

Right on!!!!! Wish I had one of those thumbs up emoticons :)

I have my fish "dream team" in this tank right now. I really hope I can keep everyone happy and healthy!!!!!! How did your St. Thomas mushroom reproduce? Was it a splitting process?

You definitely need to do a tank thread. I especially want to see your St. Thomas shrooms :happy:

I will soon. I simply noticed the babies out near the outer edge, just underneath. Lost one because I didn't remove it and relocate it. I guess it just got smothered out. Recently fragged the other off and put on it's own rubble piece.

I will soon. I simply noticed the babies out near the outer edge, just underneath. Lost one because I didn't remove it and relocate it. I guess it just got smothered out. Recently fragged the other off and put on it's own rubble piece.

Can't wait :D I love seeing 1+ year old tanks.

My tank turned 2 months old on 4-8-11. Things are reaalllyyy growing. Especially the mushrooms. The splitting green mushroom I showed a few days ago completely split so now there are 3. I have new red mushroom babies growing. That blue striped mushroom out front is getting HUGE! Bad placement on my part, but I figure survival of the fittest. It's half covering my pink zoanthids. The frogspawn had two heads now and of course the gsp grows about a 1/2" a day....LOL. The leathers are getting bigger too. I can't imagine how full this is going to be next year at this time.

I got some amazing Tubbs Blue zoanthids from Cultivated Reef. They are just gorgeous! Even more vibrant today than last Friday when they arrived. Simply stunning! Of course my photo (below) does not do them justice. What a great business to buy from!

I decided I wanted to add some macroalgae to the display. I order a few things from reefcleaners over the weekend. Should be here in a couple of days.

FTS 4-11-11:

4-11-11.jpg

Tubbs Blue:

tubbs.jpg

closeup.jpg

Your Tubbs Blues look so pretty! :wub:

Thanks Rain :flower: What have you decided to do with your tank?

Your aquarium is one of the cleanest and nicest on the site.

Thank you so much :flower:

I'm thinking about removing the frogspawn and replacing it with a finger leather. Part of my motivation is that Darla thinks it's fun to bite it!!!!!!!!! I never knew clown gobies had the potential to nip at LPS. But, after a quick google search I see others have had the same results.

I like the frogspawn...but I like leathers more. If I can find a nice leather specimen...I'm going to do a swap.

holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!! my gsp is spawning omgomgomg

This could be really, really bad. I mean, it means the coral is very happy, but I don't want gsp popping up everywhere in the tank....ugh! I've got tiny pink balls floating all around the tank :scarry:

edit:

fuzzy picture but you can see just some of the tiny pink balls at the top centerish of the gsp.

spawn4-12-11.jpg

Got my macroalgae order from reefcleaners yesterday. Of course they sent a generous amount! I got the Ulva, Halimeda money plant and regular, and the red gracilaria. Boy the gracilaria is strong smelling!! My house smelled like kelp for a couple of hours after I put it in the tank! I changed my bag of carbon and today no trace of smell so...phew! :D

I've not grown macros in my display before (purposefully...have had hitchhikers) so I hope it does well. The halimeda is still very light green. Hopefully it will color up to a beautiful green shade.

macros.jpg

macros2.jpg

I wasn't able to use all that they sent...just not enough room!

Archived